Author Topic: An early 1949 SKS  (Read 803 times)

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
An early 1949 SKS
« on: July 13, 2023, 08:44:03 PM »
I was asked to take some photos of a 1949 SKS and post on this site. I explained to him about his rifle and that was it made in early 49 due to the magazine and cleaning rod nubs. Well I took multiple pictures but due to light, I am not happy with some of them. There were also a couple of items that I need to verify. That being said, I asked that next time he is in town to get together and do another batch of pictures. Now the stock is a replacement, but it is for a spike bayonet. Also the picture of the receiver serial number is odd. My first thought is that it was stamped with a 6 first then when realized mistake then used the 9. It also could have been done with an upside down 9 then redid with 9. I sent a picture to running-man and he thinks that it was upside down 9 then 9. Here is a sample of what my album will be, once done.

upload img

« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 11:16:28 PM by jstin2 »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: An early 1949 SKS
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 10:24:15 PM »
Replacement stock or not, the finish is absolutely beautiful.

Marbling like this and similar tiger striping are so uncommon. Too bad there weren't more artists like this in the employ at Soviet refurb and maintenance facilities.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 11:53:25 AM »
Replacement stock or not, the finish is absolutely beautiful.

Marbling like this and similar tiger striping are so uncommon. Too bad there weren't more artists like this in the employ at Soviet refurb and maintenance facilities.

Agreed. That stock is gorgeous!

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 10:48:29 AM »
I agree. The 9 on the receiver was initially struck upside down then 'corrected' with an overstrike with the same stamp.

Perhaps, jstin2-- you can post some of the other photos you have, and take them down when you get a chance to take more photos?

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 03:13:19 PM »
I got some more pictures this morning. Here are a couple more to view while I am making an album. I mentioned that this stock is not original to rifle.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 03:21:41 PM »
Original or not, the stock marbling is gorgeous. Looks similar to tiger striping.

So few SKS45 stock finishes like this. The few I've seen have all been immaculate.

I can only guess that some individuals had some idle time on their hands during maintenance and inspection.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 03:54:24 PM »
Here are 4 pictures of the cover. Remember on my EM 717 when it was noticed that there were lightening holes drilled in  it. Also that they were not drilled parallel to each like later years. It was mentioned that this was done after build.

keyboard style online

« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 05:40:06 PM by jstin2 »

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 06:21:54 PM »
Just to let you know that I am reviewing around 130 pictures, so it may take awhile to have the album done. I am going to post pictures as I go through them. Here are pictures of bolt and carrier. Also shown are the matching numbers that are found on early SKSs bolt and carrier.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2023, 08:27:38 PM »
I will be working on an album in the next few days, but here are a few more pictures. I noticed that the S/N on gas tube and rod does not have the prefix on it

img upload

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 03:22:30 PM »
I completed the album and it is basically a series of pictures shown before, but now you can scroll through them. It is missing a picture of the serial number on extractor due to the fact that there was none on it.

https://ibb.co/album/N2rzV5

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2023, 11:33:04 AM »

I hadn't noticed on my first glance at these, but the 1's on the carrier and bolt both have an upper serif whereas the 1's on the rest of the parts are all sans serif (like *some* of the early 49's I've got in the database look, I honestly don't know when that changed but it was early)  The top of the carrier looks like it was ground (to my eyes at least), I wonder if it could have been worked on at refurb and then restamped?  Doesn't take anything away from this one as it's still a beauty, but it does make me wonder...  Besplode

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2023, 12:53:29 PM »
And then when you look at the matching numbers on bolt and carrier and they are sans serif. These stamps were probably done prior to assembly.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2023, 04:40:08 PM »
Also when you take a close look at the serial number on the bolt, you can see that it is original. But it still does not explain the serif 1.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 04:45:12 PM by jstin2 »

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2023, 04:59:04 PM »
When you click on the picture of the carrier(click again when you see the +). It looks like the O was stamped on the edge of carrier and that is why it is not complete. Also the 7 looks like it has an odd stamp or it could just be shadows.  I was wondering about the 2 dimple marks between and below the 5 & 7. I looked at some pictures of early carriers and they all had a mark stamped(looks more like an inspection mark) by the handle - no dimples.  Still unknown about the serif 1

« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 07:43:20 PM by jstin2 »