Author Topic: Para Rescue, in a sense  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Para Rescue, in a sense
« on: November 06, 2022, 09:29:40 AM »
I stopped at my gun shop I deal with on occasion, and noticed a new addition to her rack. When I asked I was told this was consignment, an older fella owned it and didn't want it any more.
She said he wanted to sand the stock and refinish it and thats what he started to do.  But, there's a whole lot more going on here as you will see.  In the short of things, this Para was kept in a damp if not wet location.  Beings I live in a shore area, it's not uncommon.   The store owner said he had/wanted $400.00 on it but after a very close look I offered $300 and eventually settled on $325.  This all said, I basically stripped it in the store. Amazingly all the working parts, bore, bolt and trigger assembly is nearly perfect.  The breech doesn't even look like a round has been through it.  If anything, this rifle had very little use.  nea1.  I have some work to do to it, I'm going to bring it back the way it should look, I happen to have a bayonet for it, one I got at a gun show years back.  It didn't have one there at the shop.
The Importer is B-west out of Tus. AZ.  The print is so dam small I needed a magnifying glass AND my reading glasses to see it.  With the mag glass, I also did see a faint /816\ and 3 chinese letters next to the serial number. Ironically everything matches, not that it matters, it's a bast@rd child I know.   I'll post the progress as I go along.  Should be fun and a neat shooter.  thumb1

USN/USCG (retired) Chief.
God created man; Sam Colt made them equal!

Offline lowell66dart

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
Re: Para Rescue, in a sense
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 09:51:31 AM »
Nice score.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 12:16:38 PM »
Wow, the previous owner must have really hated grasping grooves, or loved 80 grit sandpaper, or both  :o rofl

A new pinned barrel stock and handguard and a cut down spike bayonet will have it back to normal  thumb1

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 12:19:21 PM »
SCORE!!! The hammer looks new. Nice grab for sure. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 12:56:55 PM »
Wow, the previous owner must have really hated grasping grooves, or loved 80 grit sandpaper, or both  :o rofl

A new pinned barrel stock and handguard and a cut down spike bayonet will have it back to normal  thumb1
I'm gonna go lightly over it with some 220 grit then a light 400 grit.  Not much more, then all do a boiled linseed oil coat, see how that comes out.   

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 01:13:43 PM »
Whoa...easy with the sand paper sandyman... it's not far from just being dust in the wind as it is.. rofl2  I'd probably just stain it, give the boring chu wood some pizazz and coat it nice and thick and call it good.. you cant see the wood when your shooting it anyway, just say the roughness is natural antislip..  :)  chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 01:28:52 PM »
Whoa...easy with the sand paper sandyman... it's not far from just being dust in the wind as it is.. rofl2  I'd probably just stain it, give the boring chu wood some pizazz and coat it nice and thick and call it good.. you cant see the wood when your shooting it anyway, just say the roughness is natural antislip..  :)  chuckles1
Good point, I didn't do the last batch of sanding, It was the last owner.  I agree it was a bit excessive  ???  I'll make it look decent, I'm gonna cut the bayonet I have this evening, I got the measurements and I'll get the taper on my fine belt sander.

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 02:27:00 PM »
Wasn't blaming you.. I've seen bunches of them that way..  thumb1  sometimes in refinishing.... people dont understand, less is more. I'm more.. the more beat to death, scarred, and ugly it is.. sometimes the better it looks..  like chicks  :o ..ugly ones need love too. rofl2 chuckles1  All the fluff and buff, artsy fartsy stuff isnt really needed.. it's not a Weatherby or Kimber.. thumb1 

Sorry.. forgot my meds.. rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 02:53:03 PM »
Wasn't blaming you.. I've seen bunches of them that way..  thumb1  sometimes in refinishing.... people dont understand, less is more. I'm more.. the more beat to death, scarred, and ugly it is.. sometimes the better it looks..  like chicks  :o ..ugly ones need love too. rofl2 chuckles1  All the fluff and buff, artsy fartsy stuff isnt really needed.. it's not a Weatherby or Kimber.. thumb1 

Sorry.. forgot my meds.. rofl
Oh, I know you wern't !   thumb1   When I said I was going to (touch it) with some 220 and 400, there are some "sharp" places that splintered I need to fix, not many!  I felt the same as you, I looked at it and said to myself W.T.F.....  :o

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 08:47:29 PM »
Take some #000 or #0000 steel wool and smooth it out then do your stain and finish

Nice grab BTW
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2022, 08:17:07 AM »
Thanks Gg's.  I'm gonna give it a coat of Linseed oil today,  I had an old beat up Winchester shot gun I did about 30 years ago that turned out nice.  Gonna see what happens here with the Chu wood.  Either way, it'll be better than it was.  There is about 50 different directions I could go with this, I think GM, a few others as well as my thoughts are keep it simple.  I do have 000  and thats a good thought.  I'm gonna lightly wipe this down this morning with some lacquer thinner, let it dry well and put on a coat about noon!  Pics, later...  thumb1

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2022, 08:23:28 AM »
My suggestion is a nice stain (I like darker) and stop there.  Then go enjoy it at the range!!

Plus I'll join in and say...... thumb1 thumb1 thumb1

« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 08:47:11 AM by High Noon »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2022, 10:58:01 AM »
Heck, that's a great price for a shooter such as this!  You made out Dave!  thumb1

I've seen some guys really push for keeping the original heavily sanded stock on a save such as this, only to relent and slap on a mismatch/no S/N stock once they truly realize how far gone it is and whatever they do it never gets any better. 

Good luck on this one! thumb1  Looking forward to see what you wind up with (I'm partial to red stocks myself). 

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2022, 11:30:01 AM »
I now have every moving part and metal soaking in PB blaster, (I love that $#!T).   I have several small brass brushes I'll start hitting the small rust areas on the barrel.   I just gave it it's first coat of Linseed oil, I know Chu wood is "Very Boring" but it doesn't look all that bad on the first coat and it darkened it up a tinge.  In a way, having this one almost "Blond" is a bit fascinating, some of the dark streaks came out in the stock and it may look decent.  I know it's not to everyones liking, but I'll see how it turns out.  What's the worst can happen, I strip it and start again?  wink1

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2022, 11:46:35 AM »

First light coat.

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2022, 12:56:36 PM »
I cut and shaped the bayonet earlier today, came out decent.  I had a "pipe dream" and an old 59/66 bayonet...  nea1. then I went and got a Beer, realized NOPE! What the hell am I thinking...  whistle12 Besplode
Anyway, it came out nicely and cut to the specs I found in here, 8"  Angles came out as close as I could get them by eye on my little belt sander.    Anyone need a 59/66 bayonet?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2022, 02:59:49 PM »
Looking good Dave!  How hard was the steel on that bayo?  I've not heard of them being all that hard/tough, but I do know they are indeed hardened based on the fact that Russian civilians cannot own bayos that haven't been full annealed or notched such that they no longer pose a danger of being used...

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2022, 03:44:17 PM »
...I do know they are indeed hardened based on the fact that Russian civilians cannot own bayos that haven't been full annealed or notched such that they no longer pose a danger of being used...

Cuz getting stabbed with a softened steel bayonet would be нет проблем  :o rofl

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2022, 03:46:01 PM »
Nice job Dave. That stock looks way better than I thought it would turn out  thumb1 Definitely a bargain paratrooper acquisition.

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2022, 04:01:41 PM »
Looking good Dave!  How hard was the steel on that bayo?  I've not heard of them being all that hard/tough, but I do know they are indeed hardened based on the fact that Russian civilians cannot own bayos that haven't been full annealed or notched such that they no longer pose a danger of being used...
I wasn't "Hardened" to the point where I couldn't get through it with a hacksaw!  I don't have my test kit for hardness anymore but if I were to guess, a grade 3 or 5 bolt.   I have a fine paper roll on my belt sander and it had real (pleasant fine) whiteish sparks which indicates some hardness.