Author Topic: Chinese Ammo Pouch/Bandolier variant  (Read 912 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Chinese Ammo Pouch/Bandolier variant
« on: May 03, 2022, 04:07:19 PM »
So, I picked up this 4 pocket ammo pouch/bandolier with the understanding it was for the SKS stripper clips. I have never seen a setup like this before and kind of figured it was a reworked piece made from the common 10 pocket chest rigs the SKS world is so familiar with, but upon arrival and loading it I found the pockets, while the width and depth are correct, and they do hold 2 loaded stripper clips of 7.62x39, the height is substantially taller than that of the 10 pocket bandoliers. Also, it does not appear to be a re-purposed piece of material.
Somebody on another forum mentioned if it was maybe for Tanker mags. Closest thing I have handy is a 20rnd Mini-30 mag for my American Ranch which I tried and it was a no go. I did just look up specs on the three different cartridges and the overall lengths are; 7.62x39 is 56mm, the 5.45x39 is 57mm, and the 5.8x42 is 58mm. The rim diameters are 7.62 is 11.35mm, 5.45 is 10mm, and 6.8 is 10.42mm. Given that info and the fact that the 7.62x39 clip is curved I suppose it is feasible, if there is a clip for the 5.8x42 and it is straight like the 5.45x39 clip it may be that much longer than the 7.62 clip and thus that is what this pouch/bandolier is for. The case did however look more like the 7.62 casing so I envision a curved clip for it as well. I can't come up with an image for a 5.8 clip online though so who knows for sure.
It's just odd to me how much taller the pockets are compared to the more traditional 10 pocket bandolier.

Now, I am not familiar with the 5.45x39 or if the Chinese even use(d) that caliber, but with the understanding it comes on 15rnd clips, Would it be possible this pouch/bandolier is made for holding 120rnds of 5.45x39 instead of 80 rnds of 7.62x39? Anyone have any thoughts or ideas, or know what this is actually for? See the attached pics.

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
Re: Chinese Ammo Pouch/Bandolier variant
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 04:14:03 PM »
Okay, I did some more searching and found the Chinese Type-88 assault rifle uses 5.45x39mm and basically the same mag setup. So, I'm still on the fence on if this could be for that or not. Does anyone have a 5.45 stripper clip they could measure the length on for me? I find images and clips for sale but no dimensions. Given the diameter of the rim on the cartridge though I would say they are probably around 150mm-155mm. I have a small ruler that is 160mm in total length and the flap will close comfortably on it so I am back to wondering if this is indeed for 5.45x39mm ammo.
Also, a guy on AK-Files measured a 5.45 clip and it is indeed 155mm +/- so, it is in fact feasible this could be for 5.45x39mm.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 04:42:10 AM »
155 is close.. I have some that are 157mm and some that's 156mm.. figure 6 1/8 to 6 3/16 inches.  I have some others... somewhere.  I just randomly measured the 8 I could find at 4 in the morning.  rofl2

Now the but.... China as a military never used or feilded the 5.45mm, they used their own home brew 5.8mm. I do believe Norinco made a 5.45mm Ak74, but very few, like count the fingers on your hand very few made it here, they make a North Korean SKS look common.  chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 10:19:01 AM »
Are there any markings on the bandoleer to help ID a period or year?  That would go a long way to helping figure out intent.  I'm with GM, I highly doubt the fit is for 5.45x39 IF the bandoleer was intended for domestic Chinese use.  If intended for export, then who knows.  Pretty interesting find though!  thumb1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 11:04:16 AM »
No markings that I saw. Someone did find and post on the AK-Files a link to Ebay of someone from China selling 5.8x42mm Stripper clips and loaders for the Type-95 which are also not usually imported to the US. They are 10 round clips and flatter than 7.62x39 clips, but still with the dimensions of the cartridges the 5.8 wouldn't be any longer overall on the clip than the x39. Also, as an FYI, I got this from Desert Fox Sales in CA. As mentioned using any dimensions I can find it appears best suited for the 5.45 on a 15round clip. Maybe they made some for the Type-88(the AK-74 clone you mentioned GM) and since that didn't take off and they went to the 5.8 they are dumping the excess accessories into the US somehow.

I imagine it would work pretty good for 30rnd M1 Carbine mags since those are straight, but can't see a mag in any of the other calibers I've mentioned fitting since my Ruger Mini-30 mag didn't fit.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 08:52:56 AM »
Just to chunk it out there.. and stir the GG mind.. :o  who says its a mag or stripper pouch/bandoleer.. maybe it's a grenade pouch... It hit me, digging thru some stuff, a grenade pouch fell out, and it looked like a pair of loaded x39 stripper clips probably would fit. Then my A.D.D. kicked in.. and POOF fart1

https://www.apexgunparts.com/chinese-grenade-chest-rig-4cell-od-green-canvas-vg.html

OK.. back to where did GM bury his spare PTO shaft...  bat1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 10:13:58 AM »
And stir the mind it does GM, although the height is about the same the config is different and the pockets on mine seem quite a bit shallower than those so I have a hard time imagining a grenade fitting into the pockets on mine. Stick grenades had crossed my mind though but ruled those out due to the closure flaps.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 11:07:07 AM »
Finally found out what this pouch is/was for. Got some help from a HenryLeverBoy on Gunboards since I had posted it up for sale. It goes with the Type 79 sub-machine gun and holds 4-20 round mags in 7.62x25 Tokarev

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_79_submachine_gun

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 03:15:37 PM »
Interesting. Amazing that they designed an SMG for the Tokarev round that late in the 20th Century.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 06:12:23 PM »
I bet that thing would work good for M1 Carbine mags as well like maybe 4-30rnd mags???