Author Topic: 40 SW  (Read 713 times)

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
40 SW
« on: May 03, 2021, 03:51:39 PM »
was looking at my Springfield SD-40 handgun and noticed that the tip of bullets were flat rather then cone shaped. thought that was weird and was wondering why. any info would be nice, thank you.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: 40 SW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 03:54:25 PM »
I used to carry an M&P 40 for armed security I used to do. Most all the FMJ I used for practice was/is Flat nose. Quite a bit of 45ACP is flat nose as well. Don't know the ballistical reasoning behind it, but that is the way I've always seen it.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: 40 SW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 05:15:26 PM »
My 10mm, 40, and 357sig all use flat point bullets, it's called a meplat, as I understand, it allows for greater tissue disruption vs. a round bullet like you commonly see on 9mm, 380, 45acp. The square blunt end more or less tears through tissue than pushes tissue aside like the rounded or pointed bullet does.

Kind of a crude comparison..... what does more damage, being stabbed with a sharp pointy stick or a cut off square blunt stick of the same diameter.... Which heals faster???

Also commonly seen on large caliber solid hunting rounds, like 45-70, 454 Casull, 458win, and on up into big game like nitro rounds..  With big game, you want to cause as much damage to keep from being killed, and solids, while they penetrate good, don't expand, so the flat blunt point bullet helps with deep tissue disruption.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 05:23:14 PM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem