Author Topic: Correct bayonet for the Enfield Ishapore 2A 7.62x51mm?  (Read 745 times)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Correct bayonet for the Enfield Ishapore 2A 7.62x51mm?
« on: January 22, 2021, 12:41:58 AM »

I didn't see an edged weapon or bayonet section so I figured I'd put this here...

I picked up several of these about 10 years ago, or so. I've asked around but never get a definitive answer. Does anyone know which bayonet would have been issued with the Ishapore 2A Enfield that is chambered in 7.62x51mm (.308)?

They still have that black preservative paint? over the metal, but I'm looking forward to seeing them cleaned up and ready to fire. All bores look fresh and minty.

Lots of gooey goodness to get happy with...

The magazines on these are a little different than the .303 Enfield mags. These hold 12 rounds per magazine and are serial numbered (stamped #'s) to the rifle. I was lucky enough to get the correct serial numbered magazines with mine and also an extra mag for each rifle.

Thanks for any hints or info on the correct bayonets for these. I'd also like to pick up the correct slings for them.

firstchoice

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Correct bayonet for the Enfield Ishapore 2A 7.62x51mm?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 02:09:35 AM »
British Pattern 1907... but I've been told any bayonet made for a No1 Mk3 would fit. Same with the sling, a No1 Mk3 will work.

I got 2 of them about 10-15 years ago.. I got the 2A and the 2A1..only difference being the rear sight on the 2A1 shows 800meters, not 2000meters.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 06:55:13 AM »
Yes, any Pattern 1907 bayonet would be correct.

The black paint is the as-issued coating. It’s a high temperature paint called Suncorite on the later British made Lee-Enfields. I’m not sure if they used that brand at Rifle Factory Ishapore in the 1960s when they were producing the 2A and 2A1 rifles.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 11:17:50 AM »
I've got a couple of those too, a '65 2A & a '67 2A1. One was a hack job in an ATI Monty that took some TLC, the other had some cracks that'd been repaired, but overall the furniture was crappy. I've got MKI wood that's supposed to fit. I was surprised the Indians didn't upgrade the sight to aperture when they built these. PAX

You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798