Author Topic: Speaking of X39...Now With Pict  (Read 2668 times)

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Speaking of X39...Now With Pict
« on: January 21, 2021, 01:55:50 PM »
Hi Fellas,

I've started the hunt for a Ruger American in X39. Haven't located any used locally, so I'm thinking NIB is going to be where I have to go. Bass Pro has them for $500. Is that reasonable? I know the MSP is around $600, and I've seen them listed for $450 (but out of stock), and older used listings for $350. Bringing a used rifle into Kali can be relatively expensive, so there's that consideration. Thanks, PAX

[/QUOTE]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 02:53:29 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Speaking of X39
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 02:00:06 PM »
I paid $449 + tax($490 OTD) for my 5.56 Ranch so $500 is a good price. Where was the $350 one at cause I am looking too? If you aren't going after that one maybe I will, but don't want to cut in line, LOL.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 02:40:32 PM »
Any opinions on the Savage Axis II
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 02:43:33 PM »
Any opinions on the Savage Axis II

The nice thing about the Ruger is that it takes mini-30 mags so you can go hi-cap. Can't do that with an Axis, I've not seen the Axis in x39 either. Not saying they don't make it, just saying I haven't seen one.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 05:19:49 PM »
I paid $449 + tax($490 OTD) for my 5.56 Ranch so $500 is a good price. Where was the $350 one at cause I am looking too? If you aren't going after that one maybe I will, but don't want to cut in line, LOL.

On Calguns classified, about 6 months old. My LGS will bring one in for $510. I'm going to give it a week to wait and see if I generate any leads. PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 05:53:26 PM »
I did some digging and $510 is about the going rate through distributors to a local gunshop. If you can't find a used one cheaper I'd jump on it. I know the x39s bring a little more than the 5.56s. I looked on BassPro and Cabela's sites and didn't see any in x39 only 350 Legend and 450 BM

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 06:39:10 PM »
My local Bass Pro has one for 5 bills. I went and handled it this afternoon. The used ones get snapped up pretty fast on Calguns. I did have one guy with a CZ contact me, $750 looked new. The more I thought about the "why" of it, made me go with a Ruger. Mini mag compatibility was the selling point. It's about the ammo inventory, everything else was lipstick & rouge. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 07:53:35 PM »
My local Bass Pro has one for 5 bills. I went and handled it this afternoon. The used ones get snapped up pretty fast on Calguns. I did have one guy with a CZ contact me, $750 looked new. The more I thought about the "why" of it, made me go with a Ruger. Mini mag compatibility was the selling point. It's about the ammo inventory, everything else was lipstick & rouge. PAX

So you snagged the one at BassPro? Good deal.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 08:16:34 PM »

So you snagged the one at BassPro? Good deal.

No I'm going to go with the home town guy. It's worth it for 10 bucks even if they have to back order. He has a lot of employees, a range, and a gunsmith. Back in the day he was more of a douche. If you weren't buying .357 H&H for Safari, you were a chump. Never had any milsurp, thin on the C&R except big bucks stuff. Kinda worked out for me in the long run though, because he didn't know milsurp. I got a T38, 2 Albys & 2 Sinobanians for good buys.

Then there's the Kali 10 day wait deal. The DOJ can issue a "delay delivery" and after 30 days it can be "undetermined". At which time the FFL can release, but technically MAY/COULD be liable for a prohibited person possession. Most FFLs will return to seller IF THEY DON'T KNOW YOU, or you can live scan for a fee, or submit another 4473 & fee. Don't ask how I know. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 09:25:15 PM »
Gee, all that makes my head hurt.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 02:35:52 PM »
Ended up going with Bass Pro. With the discounts and fee waiver came out to $480 OTD. Would've been close to $600 at the LGS. The wait is ON! PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 03:11:40 PM »
Ended up going with Bass Pro. With the discounts and fee waiver came out to $480 OTD. Would've been close to $600 at the LGS. The wait is ON! PAX

Cool beans

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 03:55:13 PM »
Called five different places in the New Orleans/Baton Rouge area today. Nothing in stock period. Finally got a Cabela's that has the Ruger and Savage but not in 7.62x39. Probably gonna go play with them tomorrow.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 04:12:17 PM »
Called five different places in the New Orleans/Baton Rouge area today. Nothing in stock period. Finally got a Cabela's that has the Ruger and Savage but not in 7.62x39. Probably gonna go play with them tomorrow.

That's why I ended up with BP. The LGS was uncertain of the back order time line and couldn't guarantee the price would hold. PAX.
  You need a crew  

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 06:50:10 PM »
check local Cabelas on line around me, looks like around the $500 mark. might have to go look, seems like a cool rifle. you enablers here.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 07:24:09 PM »
check local Cabelas on line around me, looks like around the $500 mark. might have to go look, seems like a cool rifle. you enablers here.

I pretty much made up my mind that I was going to get the Ruger, but once I shouldered it, it was a done deal. Fit good. Dug out a 3X9 Banner and some rings and I've got a VZ58 sling that should work with the FDEish furniture. Doesn't seem like a bipedal platform, but I've got one if needed. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 08:27:09 PM »
My rifle comes out of Kali jail tomorrow, the 2nd, the Vortex in-store transfer arrived yesterday (same store where gun's at), Midway says my mags will be in my hot little hands Tuesday. Scored on a mess of ammo over the weekend, X39, .38, .357, .41, .45, 5.56, & .22  8) Yeah baby  thumb1  Guess who'll be there when they unlock the door at Bass Pro? PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 08:29:28 PM »
My rifle comes out of Kali jail tomorrow, the 2nd, the Vortex in-store transfer arrived yesterday (same store where gun's at), Midway says my mags will be in my hot little hands Tuesday. Scored on a mess of ammo over the weekend, X39, .38, .357, .41, .45, 5.56, & .22  8) Yeah baby  thumb1  Guess who'll be there when they unlock the door at Bass Pro? PAX

What mags did you get?

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 08:36:51 PM »
Pro Mag 10s, a pair. With the Ruger 5, that's 25 rounds. Add the 2X7 glass, should be the Bee's Knees. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Speaking of X39...Now With Pict
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 02:55:02 PM »
It's home with the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7 X 32 mounted and sling. It's pretty boss, I'm stoked. PAX
  You need a crew