Author Topic: Chinese oil bottle collection  (Read 16391 times)

Offline gregsthe1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rifleman
Chinese oil bottle collection
« on: October 18, 2016, 02:55:12 PM »
Been at it for a few months and am up to 30 now. Probably a good dozen or so to go, but it's a good start. Just wanted to share, if anyone would like to see pics of any specific one that can be accomplished relatively easily.

Even found a couple canvas oil bottle pouches during my searches.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Chinese oil bottle collection
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »
very cool, thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 10:01:34 PM »
Wow....   Are these 'all' for the sks?  How would one even know? 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 01:56:39 AM »
30...and a dozen to go! Man, I had no idea there were so many variations. I like the one that looks like an American 1 gallon gas can, miniaturized.

油 = oil

碱 = alkali

I see the canvas pouch on the left says Type 56 and the one on the right says Type 53. I guess you'll need a Chinese Mosin carbine to go with that one  rofl Don't tell Running Man that I said that

Great stuff  thumb1

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 08:25:22 AM »
I see the canvas pouch on the left says Type 56 and the one on the right says Type 53. I guess you'll need a Chinese Mosin carbine to go with that one  rofl Don't tell Running Man that I said that

Why I outta!  bat1

chuckles1  Very neat collection Greg!  How many of the bottles have triangle arsenal stamps on them? 

Offline gregsthe1

• Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 09:22:42 AM »
Most are for Type 53, Type 56 semiautomatic (SKS), and Type 56 assault rifle (AK47). A couple of the big ones were represented as being for "squad level weapons", so I'm guessing something maybe larger or a mounted weapon of some kind.

Of the 5 green star bottles, the one on the lower left has /316\ on the cap. None of the other bottles has a factory logo on them.

Here is a link to a page with good pictures of many of the ones I have here. From that I see there is about another 10 or so that I need, though I have a few that are not pictured here so who knows... maybe there is like 60 or 100 different ones out there!
http://www.browningmgs.com/OilBottles/OB.htm

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 11:29:24 AM »
Thats a great link I have not seen before!

Think you can get me a front and back group pics of all chinese sks bottles for me to put up on the guide?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline gregsthe1

• Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 12:36:34 PM »
Would be happy to, but I'm not sure which ones would have been issued with an SKS and which ones would have been issued with an AK. The metal ones are obviously Mosin because they are the earliest, though I'm sure early on both the AK47 and SKS may have been handed out with a few metal bottles included to use up stock. The round plastic (green and white) with characters on them would be the next in line say 60's into the 70's at least, and all of the unmarked would be late model 80's and up. The progression over time is easy to see, however trying to figure out which one would have been issued with what rifle at what time is a crap shoot. As we all know slings, pouches, oilers (probably), parts, and even furniture got swapped all the time depending on production region and contract needs/shortages.

If you know of any that you believe were SKS issued just let me know and I can take better pics of whichever ones you'd like...

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 03:41:53 PM »
I don't know...  :-\

Maybe just the ones you think are 1956 and newer?

Offline gregsthe1

• Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 03:52:52 PM »
That would be the plastic ones I suppose. I can get you some pictures of front and back of each one, it'll just take me a bit.

I'll reach out to you once I get a collection of pics and we can go from there!

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 07:09:38 PM »
That would be the plastic ones I suppose. I can get you some pictures of front and back of each one, it'll just take me a bit.

I'll reach out to you once I get a collection of pics and we can go from there!

Nah....  Too many pics.  Just do a front and back group shot.   thumb1

Offline gregsthe1

• Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 08:31:28 PM »
Roger that.

I'll take the time to get a few good pictures of all the plastic ones and get them to you as soon as time allows.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 10:56:44 PM »
Referencing that page's numbers.  I have a #1 China I was always curious about. It has the two spouts, but there is no divider to separate the liquids inside.

Is that normal?

Offline gregsthe1

• Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 12:19:31 PM »
Referencing that page's numbers.  I have a #1 China I was always curious about. It has the two spouts, but there is no divider to separate the liquids inside.

Is that normal?

Never seen one with it's divider removed, though I'm sure desperate times call for desperate measures. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a field modification as I'm sure things like that were done a lot.

Here is a pic I found of a square one where one spout was removed and capped for some reason and I'm confident the divider was removed from it also or it wouldn't make sense to have done it:

L}{C- Sorry for the delay on the oil bottle group pic. I actually found 9 more different plastic ones, three arrived over the weekend and the other six just showed up! Once I get some good pics I'll get them to you asap!!

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »

Is that normal?

Never seen one with it's divider removed, though I'm sure desperate times call for desperate measures. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a field modification as I'm sure things like that were done a lot.

Here is a pic I found of a square one where one spout was removed and capped for some reason and I'm confident the divider was removed from it also or it wouldn't make sense to have done it:

I don't see how it could have possibly been removed, it appears as if it was just made that way. Whether it was a mistake or by design is my question now I suppose.  think1

Perhaps they just skipped one vital fluid at some point?

It would be interesting if anyone else has one like that, or bothered to check...it was my first one, so I just thought for the longest time that was how they were. It seems like a pretty common marking on it.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 08:16:13 PM »
Excellent!   

Offline gregsthe1

• Rifleman
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 10:32:35 AM »
Think you can get me a front and back group pics of all chinese sks bottles for me to put up on the guide?

Will these work? I tried taking a few pics in the shade but they were even more difficult to see, especially the white ones. Only way to get clear views of their markings is to go up close. Anyway, if these suck too much let me know and I'll try setting up some lights indoors to see if I can get some better ones for you...

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 09:58:34 PM »
Hey now..   thumb1

Looks great.  Ill try and get them on the guide soon.  Thanks a bunch.   :)

Offline newchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman

Offline gregsthe1

• Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 08:29:34 PM »
That's because it's Russian. Or Polish or Bulgarian or Romanian or some other country, but it's not Chinese so that's why I don't have it.

I've been busy and have almost doubled my collection since the last pics were taken. Up to 53 different Chinese oilers. I plan to update this thread with some new pics in the next few weeks...