Author Topic: Iver Johnson M1 .22 Carbine  (Read 7308 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Iver Johnson M1 .22 Carbine
« on: September 24, 2014, 12:25:07 PM »
Kind of an oddity, while it is commercial, it's built bu Erma, the same Erma that long ago built Mausers during WWII. And it looks, feels and weighs what a real M1 Carbine does. And one day on a whim, I found a bayonet mount for a real M1 an low and behold it fit. An actual M1 Carbine bayonet will fit, just loosely, the barrel fit is a little loose.
The rifles if you find one, make sure it has the orginial rear sight, most are lost for the addition of scopes. It's a costly replacement, but you can find them, the same rear sight fits an American 180, a full auto .22 :o  Magazines are very pricey as well, once and a blue moon Numrich throws a special, half off, or about 35bucks a pop. The other aggravating thing, it likes hot ammo, no MiniMag or what not need apply, The Agulia Hypervelocity stuff is about the only ammo that will cycle it reliably, consistently mag after mag. If you put standard velocity ammo through it, it becomes a single shot. :)

Amongst it's family, the bottom is a Universal, yea I know, but it's an early first gen, uses USGI parts thumb1  Then a Inland-General Motors and an Underwood.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: Iver Johnson M1 .22 Carbine
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »
Greasemonkey does that one have the single recoil spring or the double?

It's a good looking little rascal!

Offline SlumberingBear

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »
Greasemonkey, you posting has gotten me intrested in picking up an Iver's Johnson or Erma .22 Carbine.  I have seen them in the past at gunshows but did not really realize what they were.   Now gun show season is here now and time to start hunting rifles.  I favor military trainers.  Were Erma made carbines ever a military trainer?   What is a reasonable price or price range for these rifles.  Thanks for you help.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:05 AM »
According to this, Erma Werke. there were models made as actual trainers in Germany and used. Mine is a mid '80s commercial Iver Johnson. Its modeled after the real trainer used in Germany I've seen one other variation that had no rear sling cut in the stock, but it was just one example. Typically, the price for a complete rifle will be $3-400, sometimes you can find them for less, depending on how knowledgable the seller is. I stumbled on one back in the spring for 225 and passed, it was missing the rear sight and factory magazine. The rear sight can run 75 to 120 dollars, a factory mag add another 45-60 dollars.

Being the receiver is grooved, the rear sight is often removed and a scope installed, the rear sight is lost in the process. The rear sight also is the same that fits an American 180 automatic rifle, and can be purchased from that manufacture, I still think. The mags, the factory ones have the faux cover which adds to the look, I believed some are made without the cover and sold. 

I also know Marlin made a look alike, its a Model 60 series, with tube feed mag, the stock and handguard are close, but it's nothing like or even close to what these are in looks.

Offline SlumberingBear

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:55:33 AM »
GreaseMonkey,  thanks for the info. Time to start looking.  If you ever decide you want to trade one or see one for sale please let me know.

Offline SlumberingBear

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 09:59:27 AM »
Greasemonkey,  I just purchased an ERMA M1 Carbine .22 on Gun Broker.  Is there any way to date these rifles?

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 12:14:31 PM »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 07:58:35 PM »
Greasemonkey,  I just purchased an ERMA M1 Carbine .22 on Gun Broker.  Is there any way to date these rifles?

Easiest way to date is importer, it will put you in the general time frame, see chart on this page. Erma Werke

Found an IJ for ya

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=449663042#PIC

Yea, if you want a gumpy scope ::), add 80 bucks+shipping to that to get a replacement rear sight
1306000-001-rs    REAR SIGHT $80.00

About the only way to get one if a used parts source is unavailable, typically they will run 120-150 on the auction sights.   
E&L Manufacturing, Inc. - American 180 Parts and Accessories - Parts List

Offline SlumberingBear

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 09:22:15 AM »
Thanks Greasemonkey and Worm.  I bought one on gunbroker.  When I called to make payment the owner said it was a 1974.  He also said he had another he was selling that he thought was from Israel .

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 10:37:04 PM »
I can't believe I missed this thread! Necro-thread, sure, but here is mine!
Also from the 80's, this was my dad's gun. The finish was extra muddy on it, with drips and chips in the varnish, so I relieved it of all that crap and stained and Tru-oiled it a little... 
hug1

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:45:03 PM by Stoned_Oli »