Author Topic: SKS "Quick spotters guide" sticky?  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
SKS "Quick spotters guide" sticky?
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:03:02 PM »
Here's a suggestion I think would be super helpful...

How about a sticky that shows how to determine what country origin a particular SKS was made? Basically just a quick spotter's guide of dead giveaway quick details. Say, I'm at a gun show, and looking at unknown SKS's for sale. How do I know tell a Chinese from an Albanian from a Russian....etc etc?

So much info online about SKS's seems to be more towards people who already KNOW the basics. We need an SKS's for Dummies :)

Thoughts?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: SKS "Quick spotters guide" sticky?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 06:30:38 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion PS.  thumb1

I've already pencilled in a section in each of the nationalities FAQ/HOWTO/Guide stickies on how to identify XYZ SKS.  I'll think about making up a quick and dirty "gunshow SKS guide" with some crystal clear visual pointers to help the true noobs out.  There are a ton of things to watch out for though and if you want a quick and dirty guide, it's obviously not going to cover all of them.  One other thing I would also point out that if someone is not confident enough to know a Russian from an Albanian SKS at a gunshow, they are also likely to miss key indicators about refurb condition, original/all matching components, and possibly even certain unsafe red flags.  Quick and dirty could result in buying a bad gun at a bad price whereas by simply taking a bit of extra time and reading the (soon to be populated) FAQ/HOWTO/Guide Stickies the noob will get a solid foundation in most of the basics.  Give it a bit of time, we've only been open for 14 days & we can only post so much at a time.  ;)

I did want to add that we also have a huge expansion of the SKSGuide planned that will encompass all the common non-Chinese SKS carbines out there.  We will eventually have surveys for every common flavor of SKS out there and will have detailed pages dedicated to production estimates, refurb data, and interesting variants. Gotta give it a bit of time though, Rome wasn't built in a day.

-RM

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 02:01:20 AM »
Good ideas!

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 11:09:24 AM »
Good suggestion.

Offline routeus1

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 07:19:52 AM »
Thank you, for all of the group efforts, time and attention to detail...

Offline jusridin

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 10:09:48 PM »
I would refer to this sticky often, great idea!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 08:07:47 PM »
Just a FYI that this sticky now exists: Newbie's Quick SKS ID Guide for use at the Gunshow!  thumb1

I'm locking this one up!

-RM
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:00:58 PM by running-man »