Author Topic: IBM M1 Carbine  (Read 10311 times)

Offline oldcarjunkie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Re: IBM M1 Carbine
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 01:31:37 PM »
I'd agree with you for the Blue Sky imports, though I'd also be happy to buy import marked M1s for $550, even Blue Skys if the barrels weren't damaged by the heavy stamping they were known for. I disagree for a nearly all original IBM with a small mysterious import mark. Regardless, it's a moot point because it'll likely be up to my wife or children to sell this one and other firearms at Rock Island Auction when I no longer have need of it  :))

Sadly a import mark is still a import mark. I have several different marked ones , some with very tiny marked under the barrel but still. it is marked. I agree it would go to the wife or Kid, they are great shooters and with little to no recoil they are great for starting someone off into the shooting world.  Rock island actually called me the other day, I had no idea why as they didnt leave a message(i realized later my VM was full). I got a call from them again yesterday. At first i thought i forgot about a auction i won but didnt remember bidding on one of theirs.. well apparently one of the auctions i signed up for on proxi bid coming up in a few days is one of theirs with about 10K guns. they were just calling to see if i had any questions about how it works.
Come join me on Facebook group..  The Milsurp Nation or Instagram @Milsurp_Nation   

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 01:51:23 PM »
I'd agree with you for the Blue Sky imports, though I'd also be happy to buy import marked M1s for $550, even Blue Skys if the barrels weren't damaged by the heavy stamping they were known for. I disagree for a nearly all original IBM with a small mysterious import mark. Regardless, it's a moot point because it'll likely be up to my wife or children to sell this one and other firearms at Rock Island Auction when I no longer have need of it  :))

Sadly a import mark is still a import mark. I have several different marked ones , some with very tiny marked under the barrel but still. it is marked.

Import marks.. I love'em  thumb1 that way I can buy twice as many as those without.. to me, an IBM with or without, is still an IBM... Collectors like'em with out, but hoarders don't waste time discriminating against'em  rofl2    I have a BlueSky, an Arlington Ordnance and a older Auto Ordnance.... they all work great and are just as accurate as my GI Underwood.

When I no longer "have a need"......... there will be one heck of a bonfire in western Va..  fart1  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline oldcarjunkie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 02:10:01 PM »

Sadly a import mark is still a import mark. I have several different marked ones , some with very tiny marked under the barrel but still. it is marked.

Import marks.. I love'em  thumb1 that way I can buy twice as many as those without.. to me, an IBM with or without, is still an IBM... Collectors like'em with out, but hoarders don't waste time discriminating against'em  rofl2    I have a BlueSky, an Arlington Ordnance and a older Auto Ordnance.... they all work great and are just as accurate as my GI Underwood.

When I no longer "have a need"......... there will be one heck of a bonfire in western Va..  fart1  thumb1

chuckles1 chuckles1 yeah us horders just want to stack them deep, i have about 8 carbines right now. I think the only ones not import marked are a Inland i got from a friend that said it was his grandfathers, a Winchester i got off my buddy and the recently purchased Irwin Pedersen
Come join me on Facebook group..  The Milsurp Nation or Instagram @Milsurp_Nation   

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 11:46:10 AM »
You guys make me jealous.
I wish I still had every carbine I ever owned, except that POS dual spring Universal abomination.
In the past, I had a single spring Universal, aforementioned dual spring Universal, US Postal Meter, IBM, Inland (with an Italian folder), and a Winchester.
I need to find a bayonet for the Winny.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 06:06:02 PM »
Bud of mine has a Rock-Ola without import stamp. Owned it since early '70s. Clean as a whistle. He's 'in pain' with his '68 Chevy resto...
I'm gonna offer just about what it'd cost to purchase the after-market a/c his wife is always ****in' about.  ;)

Offline oldcarjunkie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 07:33:37 PM »
Bud of mine has a Rock-Ola without import stamp. Owned it since early '70s. Clean as a whistle. He's 'in pain' with his '68 Chevy resto...
I'm gonna offer just about what it'd cost to purchase the after-market a/c his wife is always ****in' about.  ;)

Good luck to you

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 11:57:24 AM »

That's a nice angle to work in order to get a sweet rifle.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 09:03:56 PM »
Collecting M1 carbines is cool.... even cooler when you have a product the Carbine maker had manufactured during roughly the same era..

An Underwood Type 6 typewriter with a Underwood carbine. And both work  thumb1 and to collectors.. the functional good condition typewriter can almost cost as much as the carbine.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 10:06:58 PM »
That's cool.
I was playing with an Underwood last night.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 05:02:52 PM »
GM, is that typewriter all matching?  :) :).... I know how you feel about that!   whistle12

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 05:10:23 PM »
GM, is that typewriter all matching?  :) :).... I know how you feel about that!   whistle12

The ribbon ain't..  rofl  I'm sure somewhere in the past 80'ish years it's been kicking around.. it's probably had some OE parts swapped out. It came from a local government office...so no cheapie aftermarket parts were used. :)

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2019, 05:44:05 AM »
At an auction at MCLB Barstow, in 1981, I won a WWII Marine Corps field desk (unfolds like a luggage trunk), has drawers, a small folding 'camp' seat - and, along with some dried out stationary stuff, message pads - an  identical Underwood Type 6 in the bottom drawer! $8!!! Sold the whole thing to a WWII reenactment group for $125 several years ago.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2019, 08:24:22 AM »
Matchka do you have old photos? That would be cool to see.

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2019, 09:51:27 AM »
Geez, I wish I had! This was waaaay back when I was in the Corps and stationed in 29 Palms. Barstow and Ft. Irwin had DLA auctions about once a month. I once won a crate (categorized as "excess") with 100 brand new WWII gas masks - each one still in the factory metal can! From brand new 782 web gear to an operating AN/TRC-15 van and a Dodge 318ci 4x4 CUCV, I went thru hundreds of USG auction items. Hell, I almost won a new/crated helicopter engine but deeper pockets prevailed.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2019, 03:36:29 PM »
Looking through and found this.  My first M1 Carbine was/is an IBM I picked up in 1988 outside of Lejeune.  It was a CAI ST. ALB, VT. import and lightly marked as such on the barrel.  It came with a Type 1 BB and assorted parts.  Through the years I've owned all of the makers, including an IP I bought at a flea market for $650.00 in 2007.  Now I'm down to the IBM and a QHC. Memories...

Offline oldcarjunkie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2019, 03:47:55 PM »
Funny this thread popped up today, I just got back from the range where i took two of the newer M1 carbines with me and let a young kid who had never shot before shoot the one. He enjoyed it but i couldnt talk him into the 308 mauser.