Author Topic: Romanian GB pick up  (Read 10160 times)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Romanian GB pick up
« on: February 07, 2016, 08:04:19 PM »
I've been wanting to fill the Romanian hole in my SKS collection. This one was a fun pursuit and I'm happy with how it worked out.  I was watching a poorly presented auction in early January and was intrigued enough to ask the seller a few questions (nice guy, but a bit slow on the response timeline). The auction ended with no bids before I got answers to my follow up questions. He finally got back to me with the answers to my second set of questions and an offer to sell it to me for $25 less before he relisted it. He said it had a sling but it wasn't shown in any of the pics. He said the original receiver cover was included and all the external SNs matched. Anyhow, I decided I couldn't go wrong for the price so I bit...

AUCTION PICS

Here's my worn, moderately refurbished Romanian M56 with a mismatched gas tube (from the very first block of 1957s) and a Romanian sling.  Took her out to the range and she shoots very well. Only made minor adjustments to the front sight. I'm a happy camper. Got the five common countries filled.  Given the prices on DDR, NK and the NVA marked SKSs, I anticipate a long wait until I check off another country  :o  cry1

LEFT

RIGHT

SERIAL NUMBERS

THE OFFENDING GAS TUBE SN  :))

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
Re: Romanian GB pick up
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 08:25:20 PM »
You lucky dog! I'd be thrilled with it and a sling to boot. Congrats man! Happy for ya.  thumb1
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 08:27:21 PM »
Very nice...  Good price?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 08:46:52 PM »
Horse trading in the back alley even!!   thumb1

She's a beaut Jon!  I have a Romy with a horiz S/N on the stock too.  I wouldn't sweat the mismatched gas tube either. It's not even a regularly serialized part on the Romys.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 10:19:40 PM »
Dee dee argh matey!

:P

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 10:30:18 PM »
You lucky dog! I'd be thrilled with it and a sling to boot. Congrats man! Happy for ya.  thumb1

Thanks man!

Very nice...  Good price?

Thanks!  $375. Not a steal but I certainly won't complain, especially with the sling as a kicker   ;)

Horse trading in the back alley even!!   thumb1

She's a beaut Jon!  I have a Romy with a horiz S/N on the stock too.  I wouldn't sweat the mismatched gas tube either. It's not even a regularly serialized part on the Romys.

rofl  Thanks. Always fun to do a little back alley dealing.

Yeah, I'm not too put off by the gas tube number. It's a nice carbine.  :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 11:18:01 PM »
Well worth the price.   Well done

Offline MEBears

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 06:43:57 AM »
Nice pick-up! Goes to show that crappy pictures cost people money. With the sling that's a good deal.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 08:25:41 AM »
congrats, nice .  thanks for sharing. thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 10:52:22 AM »
I don't like it...

Because its not mine!!!   bat1

:P

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 11:12:34 AM »
Thanks LC, carls sks, and MEBears

Indeed, bad pics are bad business. Helps to know what pics collectors would be interested in as well.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 11:49:08 AM »
Now looking for Romanian M56, SN AA820, matching except gas tube  rofl  :o  senil1 chuckles1

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 02:43:17 AM »
Funny how a rifle goes from a dog to a steal just by way of you opening a dialogue with the seller, asking the right questions. Beauty!
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »
Thanks Kevin!  Yes, it's fun to run across auctions that have an inkling of something better hidden from view.

Of course the opposite -- something worse hidden from view -- isn't true   pullhair1 rofl

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 11:54:01 AM »
Wow, awesome buy! That's a freakin nice rifle!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 03:56:27 PM »
Nice.... thumb1

If'en ya like, I can hold it for you  :), I mean that tube, that non matching horrible terrible thing attached to channel gases to the piston, you know, those numbers don't match, so I'm offering you an opportunity, it's hard to refuse........... :o I'll simply hold it for you,  thumb1  while you search for a matching rifle, once you find it, I can declare this one a consolidation prize for me cause you get the pristine uber real nice sexy matching one and you don't have to worry about those disgusting, nasty, trashy, belong in a dumpster, missy matchy thingys anymore.. rofl2 rofl2 rofl2  chuckles1 chuckles1 chuckles1   fart1

I promise it will be among many a Romanian family member and be treated, real, real well :)   Besides, you already used it...so that value is kinda gone  whistle12

whatcha say  bat1 bat1       rofl2 rofl2 chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 04:53:26 PM »
Wow, awesome buy! That's a freakin nice rifle!

Thanks PS!

Nice.... thumb1

If'en ya like, I can hold it for you  :), I mean that tube, that non matching horrible terrible thing attached to channel gases to the piston, you know, those numbers don't match, so I'm offering you an opportunity, it's hard to refuse........... :o I'll simply hold it for you,  thumb1  while you search for a matching rifle, once you find it, I can declare this one a consolidation prize for me cause you get the pristine uber real nice sexy matching one and you don't have to worry about those disgusting, nasty, trashy, belong in a dumpster, missy matchy thingys anymore.. rofl2 rofl2 rofl2  chuckles1 chuckles1 chuckles1   fart1

I promise it will be among many a Romanian family member and be treated, real, real well :)   Besides, you already used it...so that value is kinda gone  whistle12

whatcha say  bat1 bat1       rofl2 rofl2 chuckles1

Dang GM, that's a really generous offer  thumb1  I mean, especially since she's my only Romanian SKS and she might get lonely  think1

...but I think I'll pass. After all, she does have my Mosin carbine, TTC, Romanian contract VZ24 and WASR, with which to exchange Romanian greetings  :)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 06:16:27 PM »
crazyp1  So........guess that kinda sorta means.....NO, Jimmy. yes4. back off  dash2

Figured I'd try  OK1

I mean,  cry1 I would at least offer to cover the shipping  rofl  it's the least I could do   senil1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 06:54:08 PM »
Yup, that'd be: "No, Jimmy No! Put that down, right now! You don't know where that's been Jimmy!"  rofl

The part of me that tends towards the OCD end of the spectrum would, of course, like an unnumbered or correctly numbered gas tube (thingy)...but I'm very, very happy with this M56  thumb1  :)

The part of me that simply likes a well-used functional battle loves my Romanian...and my beat up Albanian.  My 56-1 looks like it tangled with some rough characters on the shady side of Skopje, spent the night on the wet and dirty floor of one of Hoxha's bunkers sleeping off a binge on com-bloc ammo, and it's a complete mismatch, but it runs great.  I had it out with the Romanian last weekend and it shoots very well, after I got it zeroed  tommy1

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 11:17:20 PM »
What ? You mean you bought a matching 57 with no cleaning rod ! ! !  That would have been a deal breaker lol ..

Nice score P32. Someone would be moving over in my safe so he could fill that hole..  thumb1