Author Topic: .22LR Winchester White Box 36gr HP  (Read 2254 times)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
.22LR Winchester White Box 36gr HP
« on: September 11, 2019, 11:20:56 PM »
I bought a 555rd box of Winchester white box 36gr HP today for $19.97. I figured I'd buy a few boxes of ammo before they sell out of regular stock and discontinue all "pistol ammo" sales. I think that's about three and a half cents a round? It's been a while since I've bought any .22LR.  Is that about the going price nowadays?

That's about what we shoot in a usual range trip. I have a good supply in storage, but it's always good to have "more".

Down where I live, Walmart is the "handy" place to buy ammo, but not the only place. I hate to see them capitulate to these anti-gun idiots, but it's their own throats that they're slitting in the end. Bass Pro has a store about 5 miles from me and their national headquarters is about 35 minutes from me. So, no big deal, right now...

firstchoice

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: .22LR Winchester White Box 36gr HP
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 09:20:05 AM »
I see 4-5 cents a round on gundeals.com, so that's seems like a good price for a local buy. you did good.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 04:17:33 PM »
Seems like 4 cents a round is the avg. these days.  That's a far cry from the 15+ cents a round we saw during the panic if you could even find it.  In my town, WM is the only retailer left, everyone else has been driven out of business.  There is a gun shop 10 miles up the road, but I took such an instant disliking to them the first time I visited 10 years ago that I've never gone back.   I mainly go mail order when I need some ammo.  thumb1

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 10:57:28 PM »
I thought that was about the average on current pricing. I remember the 1-2 cents-per-round days.  $.50 for a box of 50rds.  I may still have some old boxes with those prices still on them. That's one of the things I like about the steel ammo cans. I can leave them sealed up for 20-30 years and go back to look through them. It's like Christmas every time! I've found some pretty neat and nostalgic items that way.

Here's a "Remington 5 Pounder" that my Dad bought me when I was in High School. I'm 65yo now, so do the math. (I don't really want to.  nea1 )

The brick of CCI Mini Mag, 10 boxes of 50rds ea. = 500rds. price comes to a little less than $.02/rd.

I have some various types of old ammo that I collect, but it's mostly been collected in the past 30 years.

firstchoice

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 10:14:55 PM »
Love the 5 pounder!

Smells like old ammo.....

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 04:22:45 PM »
I remember going to K-mart after Christmas to grab the unsold holiday themed ammo.
They were almost giving it away, but that was back in the 70's.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 05:11:43 AM »
Love the 5 pounder!

Smells like old ammo.....

That's cool LC!  I don't have near the old ammo collection as you do. Mostly just odds and ends I've pick up here and there.

I remember going to K-mart after Christmas to grab the unsold holiday themed ammo.
They were almost giving it away, but that was back in the 70's.

I used to like going to old, established small town hardware stores. They always seemed to have a few old boxes of something laying on the shelf that had been there forever. I picked up some cool .38 Short Colt and some old .45acp from the war days that way.

firstchoice

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 01:55:59 PM »
I can remember way back in my younger years buying 50rd 22lr boxes of ammo for $0.99 per box.  I think I still have a few boxes stored away in an ammo can some where. 

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 03:14:14 AM »
Same here, astronut. I guess it depends on how far back we can speak of when it comes to the "good ole' days"! I feel ancient enough when I hear these guys talking of being born in the 80's, '90's and so on. They've already had lives full of adventure and memories. And, it really hits home when a music icon that you connect with LOTS of good personal memories, dies at age 75!  Where the heck did that time go? geezer1

I tell family and friends that my Grandpa was born January of 1895 and they look at me like I'm having a senior moment or just confused.  senil1  wacko1

firstchoice

Offline echo83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 09:50:59 AM »
I thought that was about the average on current pricing. I remember the 1-2 cents-per-round days.  $.50 for a box of 50rds.  I may still have some old boxes with those prices still on them. That's one of the things I like about the steel ammo cans. I can leave them sealed up for 20-30 years and go back to look through them. It's like Christmas every time! I've found some pretty neat and nostalgic items that way.

Here's a "Remington 5 Pounder" that my Dad bought me when I was in High School. I'm 65yo now, so do the math. (I don't really want to.  nea1 )

The brick of CCI Mini Mag, 10 boxes of 50rds ea. = 500rds. price comes to a little less than $.02/rd.

I have some various types of old ammo that I collect, but it's mostly been collected in the past 30 years.

firstchoice

My dad used that same 5 pounder can as a storage container in his tool bench! Since it didn't have a lid, I always wondered where he got it from. As a kid, I always thought it was some sort of rare antique jar. No idea it was a ammo container. Thanks for the cool memory.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 06:15:50 AM »

firstchoice

My dad used that same 5 pounder can as a storage container in his tool bench! Since it didn't have a lid, I always wondered where he got it from. As a kid, I always thought it was some sort of rare antique jar. No idea it was a ammo container. Thanks for the cool memory.

thumb1  I'm glad I saved the 5 Pounder intact like that. So many times I could have shot a few or all of them, but never did. It's great to have memories like that with our families. A few days ago, I found the Lionel train set that my folks bought me when I was 12 or 13yo. My Mom had even saved my "Army Men" collection, (hundreds of them), and tanks/artillery pieces from when I was 7-8yo.  I guess when I get bored with my guns, I can go to the garage and play with my trains and army men.  senil1 senil1 crazyp1 crazyp1 pirate1 pirate1  chuckles1