Author Topic: RTI $179 Grade C Chinese SKS Arrived  (Read 4318 times)

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
RTI $179 Grade C Chinese SKS Arrived
« on: November 24, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
I ordered it on 10/30 when they dropped the price to $179, and it arrived 11/14. I was out of town so it sat at fedex until I swung by and grabbed it on my lunch break today. 7 mil all metal is matching, I can't tell yet if the stock is matching or not, it has some trench art carved right where the serial # is stamped. The stock has a pretty good crack at the wrist that I haven't decided if I will try to repair or not. The cosmoline is really rusty colored, but a couple of the spots I wiped off quickly only appear to be surface rust.  I will tear it down tonight and drop her in some mineral spirits for a few days. I think it will clean up pretty good, and I have another stock I can put it in.
Here are a few quick crappy cell phone pictures.

I will get some more pictures when I start cleaning her all up.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: RTI $179 Grade C Chinese SKS Arrived
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »
Kool Brian!

I'm pretty sure you've going to find the stock is an Alby replacement or at the very least a mismatch off another gun.  7 mils should have a side swivel on the stock. 

The bluing looks pretty good actually, I think it's going to clean up really well too!  Even if it was a total mixmaster in horrible shape that was non-functional, that gun would be worth $150 to $200 in just parts alone. 

My excuse for not buying one this time around?  After shelling out $150 for glow plug fixes on the car, throwing a 'big' birthday party for my daughter (complete with a blow up bouncing castle thingy in the backyard), and Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, I'll continue to blame the wife! rofl  Plus I'm still holding out hope for finding a CZ82 or a VZ2008 whenI do finally get the green light!

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 04:51:34 PM »
Kool Brian!

I'm pretty sure you've going to find the stock is an Alby replacement or at the very least a mismatch off another gun.  7 mils should have a side swivel on the stock. 

The bluing looks pretty good actually, I think it's going to clean up really well too!  Even if it was a total mixmaster in horrible shape that was non-functional, that gun would be worth $150 to $200 in just parts alone. 

My excuse for not buying one this time around?  After shelling out $150 for glow plug fixes on the car, throwing a 'big' birthday party for my daughter (complete with a blow up bouncing castle thingy in the backyard), and Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, I'll continue to blame the wife! rofl  Plus I'm still holding out hope for finding a CZ82 or a VZ2008 whenI do finally get the green light!

RM- Thanks for the reminder on the side swivel stock, I meant to look that up on the SKS Guide and didn't yet. I will most likely put it in one of the bottom swivel stocks I have, and keep my eyes out for a side swivel.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
Very nice... cant beat that for the moola!

I still need on of these 7m from albania as I have 1-2 each of all the other variations that came out of there.

Hey RM.....  where all the 6m at?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 02:31:19 PM »
Here are some additional pictures while I tore her down to take her mineral spirits bath. There is some rust under the wood line, but so far it only appears to have a couple spots of pitting. I will work on getting her all cleaned up next week.

The stock does have a serial # on it, but really tough to make out and obviously not matching to the metal. It was also full of sand  :o

And this was in the cleaning kit cavity.