Author Topic: Screw it I'll build an AK  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Gloyid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • We're gonna need a bigger safe...
Screw it I'll build an AK
« on: March 22, 2020, 12:03:51 AM »
Was thinking of building a new lightweight AR since I just traded mine....BUT, think I'll give an AK a go.

My question to the group is (with me being new to the ownership market of AKs) what is the best/most cost efficient way to go? Its purpose will be more of a tactical rifle with lightweight stock, lower powered optic, maybe a flashlight for inspecting noises outside the house...but I'm ignorant as you can get on the receivers. Who makes a good middle of the line quality full reciever that is relatively cost efficient and has a smooth trigger?

Should I start with a baseline Russian gun or Romanian and just swap stocks and add gear? Should I build from nothing using certain companies?

Only things I'm picky about are having a non folding stock and a good trigger really. If you're comfy with a good trigger...everything else has to be horrible to not be accurate.

I'll be using it for shoot/move drills, ready ups, reload drills...more than just plinking. Please help as all I know are ARs, bolt guns and street howitzers. Total cost between $600-$1200...depends on what my wife gets in return basically. Baking brownies as I type this..
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."
-Archilochus

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Screw it I'll build an AK
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 01:13:14 AM »
Near the high end of your range, a lot of people love the Arsenals. I don’t have any first hand experience with them.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/arsenal-slr-107r#

Near the low end of your range, a WASR 10. My first AK was a Romanian WASR 10 and it’s a great AK.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/cai-ak-47-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle

Both have side mount rails for optics.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 03:54:47 AM »
I have a WASR. Will eventually have something else but I don't know what. Most of the AKs are $1500+ except for a few variants, IMO. I thought about building recently and then a "squirrel" runs in front of me and I buy something else. Anyhow while thinking of building I found Childers receivers that seem to be well respected (link below). I would do your own research though they are not the only game in town. Finding a decent parts kits is probably going to be your toughest feat. Some of this stuff seems to be worn as it was prior military surplus. Anyhow good luck.

https://www.childersguns.com

Offline Gloyid

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 09:02:38 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'll do some research on those and see which rabbit holes I can find to get lost in.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."
-Archilochus

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 11:20:38 AM »
There are Picatinny rails and other options available for mounting a light.

Online 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 12:08:20 PM »
I built an AR15 in x39. Shoots way better than my SKS or any AK I have fired. Way more "options" as well.
Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Gloyid

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 12:24:20 PM »
I'm just not keen on an AR in that caliber. Seems....awkward.
-Archilochus

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 05:12:36 PM »
do you want to build one or buy one?
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Gloyid

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 05:25:08 PM »
do you want to build one or buy one?

That's part of what I am researching. A buddy told me about Combloc AK services. They put out some really nice builds it seems. But at what cost. I'm wanting it for a fun-gun and to keep the skills sharp, so it's not going to be a beauty. Probably just plastic furniture, good functionality and good optics. Prefer to build for my first...just feels better, like my first ar10 build. But I'd probably jump on a good built one when I have the cash. Just depends.
-Archilochus

Offline Gloyid

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 05:56:21 PM »
Here is another question, what about companies like Zastava and riley defense? Looks like I could pick one of theirs up at less cost and throw a trigger and optic on it and be done...then get a WASR, Romanian or Russian just to have (wife hates that excuse for a gun purchase, "just to have one")
-Archilochus

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 07:00:22 PM »
i have a wasr 10/63 and npap, both alot of fun. both are also entry type and serve all my need and desire. don't have to spend a ton to get one of them either. building one sounds interesting, but above my pay-grade.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 09:59:34 PM »
Here is another question, what about companies like Zastava and riley defense? Looks like I could pick one of theirs up at less cost and throw a trigger and optic on it and be done...then get a WASR, Romanian or Russian just to have (wife hates that excuse for a gun purchase, "just to have one")

I don't know anything about Riley Defense. My assumption is that Zastava Arms USA products will be as good or nearly as good as the original Zastava in Serbia AKs. They are about $70-100 more than a WASR-10, so still on the low end of your range at ~$800.

Offline Gloyid

• Cadet
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 10:02:41 PM »
I'm doing more researching and seeing that NPAPs are not going to go smoothly with my intended purpose. Seems there aren't a lot of aftermarket parts for them out there as the market is flooded with WASR stuff. Still trying to learn all this WASR/NPAP/PAP/AKM......stuff
-Archilochus

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 03:17:19 AM »
Are you going to build from a fully machined and riveted receiver or are you a fairly skilled machinest with solid riveting skills? (blank receiver vs. receiver with trunnions already riveted in) The rivets on the stamped receiver will be one of the biggest challenges from that starting point. A milled receiver is a different type of build with the biggest challenge being the barrel pressing, which has to be done on both milled and stamped receivers. Getting a quality surplus de-milled kit with the barrel already populated with the FSB, GB, and RSB would be a plus for not having to make sure of no problems with sight cant, etc.

Also, finding quality kits with the original barrels is a "bit" harder to do but worth it. I have no idea for recommendations on aftermarket, American-made barrels. I was fortunate enough to find all my kits a long time ago with the original barrels still intact.

When you're looking through kits, some of the older Hungarian kits came with threaded barrels. You may want to avoid that because it restricts you to milled-threaded receivers only, which you then get into barrel "timing" issues. I'm sure you're already familiar with these characteristics. 

Polish PMKMS kits were excellent kits. Russian kits of any usable quality/ matching SN's are pretty much non-existant nowadays. ROMY G kits were fairly plentiful for a while. I haven't seen any for a while, but there were some nice Hungarian SA-85M kits going around in nice condition. Make sure your kit is as complete as possible. All-matching SN's are a plus. (Original barrels with original matching front trunnions pretty much guarantees a good fit with close to correct headspace on first try assembly) As always, be sure to check your headspace.

If you're going the stamped receiver route, there are some companies that offer matching your kit's SN with the receiver and also using the kit's country of origin markings. (Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, etc.) If you find a nice matching kit, it's worth the extra money to make the whole rifle matching. (IMO)

Kits will range from virgin kits, like this Bulgarian AK-MUS 7.62x39 kit...

To the surplus demilled kits like this Hungarian AMMS kit with the barrel already populated...

And the Polish PMKMS kit (like-new condition)...

To the Polish PMKMS kit (used-VG Condition)...

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

firstchoice

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:23:49 AM by firstchoice »

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 07:07:51 AM »
Here's another option for you, although it has the shorter sight radius. https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/ak-47-rifle-m10-762-diy
That way you can choose your own muzzle device and furniture.
Full on WASR for $720: https://www.atlanticsportingoutlet.com/cent-gp-wasr-10-7-62x39-1-30rd-military
Building an AK requires a significant investment in tooling which makes it really pricey for a one-off build, and the learning curve is pretty steep.
Shame you didn't have this question a few weeks ago though as MidwayUSA just blew out a BUNCH of Romanian kits for $250 or so.
BTW trigger swaps are EASY to do if you're not happy with the trigger you get. The WASR comes with the Century RAK trigger which by all accounts is pretty good. I would recommend a trigger pin retainer plate if you swap out the trigger as it makes reinstallation a breeze.

Offline Gloyid

• Cadet
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 07:22:42 AM »
Yeah, I probably wont do a full out build from scratch. Most likely will start with a strong base model and replace certain pieces I can handle for the first go around.
-Archilochus

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2020, 05:47:16 PM »
Yeah, I probably wont do a full out build from scratch. Most likely will start with a strong base model and replace certain pieces I can handle for the first go around.

Gloyid,

I think that is 100% your best option.

Here's a tip: Don't do anything permanent, and don't get rid of your original equipment. You may find that you'll want to go back to an all stock rifle one day.
Like when you buy your second or third, and it's all decked out already.

BUT! Buy that rifle quickly. Might not be many around in the near future.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 05:48:05 PM »
Second post just to say this:

BUY MAGS!!!!!
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Gloyid

• Cadet
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 05:52:20 PM »
Yeah, learning from my SKS about the furniture now. I've always known to keep all OE parts...ya never know. Previous owners took away the original stock and mag and now it's not worth anything near what it could be (KSI Para Hunter).

Most are sold out everywhere, I like to buy from face to face people more though...less tracking by big brother.
-Archilochus

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 05:55:41 PM »

I like to buy from face to face people more though...less tracking by big brother.

I hear you, brother.

I'm the same way.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.