Author Topic: Sight settings  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Matthew MO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Sight settings
« on: April 13, 2019, 11:19:35 PM »
Ok, I was asked a question on facebook and now avavail myself to this forum. What should the height difference be between the rear sight and the front sight to be on target at 150 meters.

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Sight settings
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 08:34:30 AM »
Hmmmm....

I don't think there would be a way to measure the height difference, unless there is some wacky smithing tool out there...so I assume it is a question of how to get it sighted in for 150m?  Since it is set up for 100 meter increments, you will need to adjust the front sight accordingly from either the 100m or 200m setting on the rear sight, moving the post up or down as needed until you get the desired result.  I would suggest working your way from the 100m setting, just because it's easier to 'accidentally' just leave it there.

Down the road though, if set up this way...some other future owner might think it's an inaccurate shooter when everything is off target for the marked distances....although they might not be extremely noticeable, as at that range you can expect to accurately hit a target the size of a pizza box consistently...it likely won't be driving tacks. :)

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 09:13:13 AM »
^^+1

You will often hear the phrase 'minute of man' (m.o.m.) used in descriptions of SKS accuracy-- the implication being that it wont drive tacks at any distance, but it will reliably put a round in the enemy out to +/-300 yds .

The rear most setting on the sight leaf-- (П, III, 3, D, etc.) -- is the "battle setting." This setting is equivalent to the 300meter setting. In this position, you should be able to hit the enemy from 1-100 meters if you aim at center mass.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 01:31:38 PM »
Maybe I'm just lazy, if I had one setup for a 100 yards or so... I would just aim 2 or so inches higher.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Matthew MO

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 02:56:49 PM »
Thanks guys. I thought it was kind of a dumb question but was kind of intrigued none the less. Its easy enough to adjust sks sights on the range. I've used a micrometer to adjust the front sight but even that only works if you know where the point of impact is to begin with so you know the direction and how far it needs to move. Roughly .0005 on the sight moves POI an inch at 100 meters. I got the impression he'd pulled an optic off and had no idea what the sights were set at. Hopefully when he hits the range he's on the pizza box before he starts cranking on it. chuckles1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 06:27:29 PM »
 nea1
Maybe I'm just lazy, if I had one setup for a 100 yards or so... I would just aim 2 or so inches higher.

I can't remember the ballistic characteristics of x39 exactly, BUT the projectile 'may' still be climbing at 100y/m

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 12:23:22 PM »
^^+1

The rear most setting on the sight leaf-- (П, III, 3, D, etc.) -- is the "battle setting." This setting is equivalent to the 300meter setting. In this position, you should be able to hit the enemy from 1-100 meters if you aim at center mass.

Glad you posted this.
I had been told that this was a 200 meter zero.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7