Author Topic: Poulin Auction Sleeper - /416\ Public Security  (Read 6412 times)

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
Poulin Auction Sleeper - /416\ Public Security
« on: October 24, 2018, 11:33:04 AM »
I love it when guns are poorly represented in auction descriptions.  One picture of the left side, and identified only as Chinese Type-56 with spike bayonet.

No mention of the Public Security stamps on the right side receiver.   :)

Freakin' brand new.  Unissued, still in cosmoline,  /416\ Arsenal, 18 million serial from around 1973,  just a real dandy.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Poulin Auction Sleeper - /416\ Public Security
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 11:55:28 AM »
Very nice pick up!  thumb1  Those /416\ PS carbines are beauties!

Poulin's two picture approach to presentation of their lots does them no favors either. It's a bit like gambling if you're an internet bidder. There were some really interesting pieces in that last auction. A bunch of really rare Hi Powers caught my eye but I just didn't want any of them as much as the other bidders.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 12:18:56 PM »
That is just so disgustingly......nice.  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 01:36:43 PM »
Very nice pick up!  thumb1  Those /416\ PS carbines are beauties!

Poulin's two picture approach to presentation of their lots does them no favors either. It's a bit like gambling if you're an internet bidder. There were some really interesting pieces in that last auction. A bunch of really rare Hi Powers caught my eye but I just didn't want any of them as much as the other bidders.

Yeah, one of the mid-range High Powers had to come home with me.  Needed a pre-war with tangent sight and slot to legally go with my stock.

That is just so disgustingly......nice.  thumb1

And I was forced to buy another rifle to get this Public Security SKS, but it is right up your alley GM.  A French made Mauser .22lr training rifle, the MAS Model 45.  Also unissued.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 01:53:51 PM »
Love the MAS..  thumb1 drool2 Thats one rifle that just doesn't show up everyday. I found one missing the front sight hood, said it's either this one or wait for another to appear...who knows when.... it had an old nasty, near as I can tell French sling on it. I have since replaced the sight hood and actually found 2 extra magazines.  I cleaned the sling up too  :)

Interesting how light your stock is, mine has a very dark wood with a few arsenal repairs, which I guess the wood is walnut. I'm guessing it was reworked then thrown in storage. I don't think it was shot much after import, based on the amount of goop in the bolt..the firing pin would barely move.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 01:54:18 PM »
Love them both  thumb1 I was salivating heavily over the Lithuanian but it went about $800 higher than I wanted to go  rofl

Looks like the MAS 45 has an SN about 3000 earlier than my 3 consecutive numbered examples (2 in wrap). They seem to have had a lot of those in Maine. Any import marks on yours?

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 02:01:38 PM »
The MAS has an apparent new beech stock, new sling, new mags... everything as new.

The import mark is so lightly struck, it is illegible.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »
They seem to have had a lot of those in Maine.

Seem to have a bunch of juicy stuff in......Maine. I'm still torn...between do I want hot and humid, jungle butt Appalachian summers or blue ball chattering winters in Maine. rofl2

I hate cold.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 02:20:42 PM »
They seem to have had a lot of those in Maine.

Seem to have a bunch of juicy stuff in......Maine. I'm still torn...between do I want hot and humid, jungle butt Appalachian summers or blue ball chattering winters in Maine. rofl2

I hate cold.

Yeah, I left Minnesota 25 years ago and haven't had any desire to move back (even though I love the state) for it's two seasons, Winter and Road Construction.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 02:24:09 PM »
The MAS has an apparent new beech stock, new sling, new mags... everything as new.

The import mark is so lightly struck, it is illegible.

That is light and discreet. Mine, mysteriously don't have any.

The shoulder stock with the appropriately machined Hi Power is very nice  8) Now you can shoot (lob) out to 500 m

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 03:13:35 PM »

The shoulder stock with the appropriately machined Hi Power is very nice  8) Now you can shoot (lob) out to 500 m

Yes, the 500m range is very important.  One can never get close enough to dispatch snowy owls, puffins, Canadian lynx, or monarch butterflies with a regular handgun.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 05:51:01 PM »
Guess they learned....a pair of Germans during a quiet period......Scotty, give it all shes got.....Dammit Jim...It just wont reach, it's a pistol, not a artillery gun ..

awe, screw it...get the Gustav rofl2  chuckles1

800 meters with a 9mm was really stretching it.. so lets kick'er back a notch to 500 and see if it works any better.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 08:45:25 AM »
I love it when guns are poorly represented in auction descriptions.  One picture of the left side, and identified only as Chinese Type-56 with spike bayonet.

Freakin' brand new.  Unissued, still in cosmoline,  /416\ Arsenal, 18 million serial from around 1973,  just a real dandy.

Beautiful /416\ Public Security Type 56, martin08! Mine is just 80 rifles previous to yours.

I got lucky on mine, too. Still in the grease, not a dent or scratch in the wood, looks brand new. This one you've acquired would only be outdone by your /26\ PS gun.  thumb1  I believe it's a 8 million series, isn't it? That's a beauty, as well!

firstchoice

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »

Beautiful /416\ Public Security Type 56, martin08! Mine is just 80 rifles previous to yours.

I got lucky on mine, too. Still in the grease, not a dent or scratch in the wood, looks brand new. This one you've acquired would only be outdone by your /26\ PS gun.  thumb1  I believe it's a 8 million series, isn't it? That's a beauty, as well!

firstchoice

Those two together could star in a Public Security Doublemint commercial. :)
If only we could narrow down the dating system to find out what their (likely) shared birthday was...y'all could get together and shoot a cake or somethin'...  rofl2
I keep hoping to find a PS locally on the sly someday...as time goes on, more and more keen eyes keep snatching them up though. Great scores, both of you!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 11:24:43 AM »
I wonder how much time passed between these in manufacturing.. were they a few hours apart, a shift or a few days.. Did the same guy build or stamp them all?

mine is 645 higher than M08s.

It's now like Larry, Moe..... and Shemp rofl2

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 11:48:09 AM »
Okay, I’ll play  :)) mine’s 4174 earlier than Matt’s

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 12:30:26 PM »
If only we could narrow down the dating system to find out what their (likely) shared birthday was...y'all could get together and shoot a cake or somethin'...  rofl2
I keep hoping to find a PS locally on the sly someday...as time goes on, more and more keen eyes keep snatching them up though. Great scores, both of you!

Total production in 1975 at /416\ was at least 40000 based on the collected serial data (there are 4 odd ball serial numbers at the end of the list that I disregarded). Assuming linear production, that would be 769 per week. Further assume they're not using the Chinese calendar for industrial operations and tracking, then M08's rifle would have been made in the middle of the 50th week, or around Saturday December 13, 1975...but that's a lot of assumptions  rofl

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 12:38:06 PM »

Total production in 1975 at /416\ was at least 40000 based on the collected serial data (there are 4 odd ball serial numbers at the end of the list that I disregarded). Assuming linear production, that would be 769 per week. Further assume they're not using the Chinese calendar for industrial operations and tracking, then M08's rifle would have been made in the middle of the 50th week, or around Saturday December 13, 1975...but that's a lot of assumptions  rofl

Whoa  :o P32's inner geek is showing  rofl2

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 12:42:03 PM »

Whoa  :o P32's inner geek is showing  rofl2

My inner geek, my outer geek, it's kinda hard to hide it when you're a scientist  think1  chuckles1

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 02:37:29 PM »
Mine was made on its own separate day.  You guys will have to get your own day of production and not take mine.

Q to P32:  1975?  Or 1973?