Author Topic: Canted front sight base, any solutions  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Sully

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Canted front sight base, any solutions
« on: August 21, 2018, 10:41:17 AM »
I bought this rifle in june of this year. It's an arsenal 26 in the 8 million range. When I bought the rifle it was wearing a horrible looking polymer ram-line stock which was quickly removed and chucked in the trash where it could no longer do any harm. A replacement was ordered from sarco and it looks a whole lot better. The only numbers that match are the receiver, magazine and trigger assembly. The bolt has been scrubbed and there is no marking on the top cover. The rifle was converted to para length but I can't tell if it was done at the exporter or done bubba style stateside. There is no bayonet lug but the hole for the cleaning rod is still there. A hole was drilled and tapped for a 4-40 screw directly under that hole to keep the cleaning rod from dis-lodging itself during firing. I bought this gun before finding this site, otherwise it would have saved me a little money. I totally bought into the hype that it was a factory Chinese para. Since finding this place I have been able to decode that it was at Navy Arms at some point in it's life due to the type 89 scope rail attached to the left side of the receiver. I was so exited to find a sks for a reasonable price that I didn't even realize that the front sight block is canted to the left. It's canted bad enough that the right side of the hooded front sight lines up with where the front sight post should be. Short of changing the barrel is there any way to fix my dilemma?
It's a long read but I had to give the back story.
Sully

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:59:30 PM by Sully »
The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

Offline yellowjacket

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
Re: Canted front sight base, any solutions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »
The first question (photos would help) is, is it the front sight that's canted or is the barrel clocked?  Both can be addressed but with different degrees of difficulty.  Post some photos of the full barrel assembly from various angles to give the experts here a chance to weigh in.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
The first question (photos would help) is, is it the front sight that's canted or is the barrel clocked?  Both can be addressed but with different degrees of difficulty.  Post some photos of the full barrel assembly from various angles to give the experts here a chance to weigh in.

Barrel can't be clocked on an 8 mil /26\ as it's a long threaded lug.  If that was the case, there'd be all sorts of problems from the extractor cut not lining up, to the RSB being off and possible headspace issues to boot. 

Hey Sully, are both pins installed in the FSB?  Every once in a while on a para, one gets installed and the second is left open.  If this is the case on yours, you might be able to drive out the installed pin, reset the FSB straight, drill the second pin using the unused second pinhole as a drill bushing and resintall the first pin into the second hole (if it wasn't damaged driving it out). 

If both are installed, you should still be able to re-cant the FSB and then redrill both pin holes and resintall the pins.  Not as clean as a pristine install but the FSN is pressed on so the pins are really only minimally holding on to things anyhow. 

Just a thought. 

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 02:12:38 PM »
I dont know how canted it is, but i recently brought an sks in a plastic stock that i thought was canted.  You really had to hold it funny to get a sight picture. When i had the action out it wasnt anymore. 
Its in a wood stock now and a-ok.

But as others have said, pictures would help.

Offline Sully

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 05:11:10 PM »
Both pins were installed and the front sight is resting right against the gas block. I'm assuming that having the existing holes welded up would be a bad idea.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 07:22:37 PM »
Have you tried shooting it?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline yellowjacket

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 07:45:20 PM »
If you knocked the pins out and pulled the FSB, it would be interesting to see if there is metal deformation or the holes/slots were machined incorrectly.  If the former, I would think it possible to correct to deformation.  If the pins won't come out (straight) then, you might have your answer. 

Offline Sully

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 09:51:31 PM »
I was able to put 9 rounds downrange before the rear sight leaf spring took a dump and launched the rear sight from the gun. I was able to retrieve the rear sight and I ordered a new leaf spring. At 25 yds it shot very low and to the right. I was shooting it off hand. The next time I get to the range I’ll rest the front on a bag.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 10:23:58 PM »
Ugh, I wonder if you picked up somebody's problem child?  It could be a Navy Arms modified paratrooper w/ rail, but man it sure sounds like a bubba job.  Photos are definitely your best bet to go forward from here.

Offline Sully

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 11:21:56 AM »
I may have inherited someone else's headache but that's ok. Live and learn and I know now what to look for in the future. I pulled those pins as yellowjacket suggested and they came out relatively easy and straight with no deformation through the holes. At this point it is what it is until someone comes up with another clamp on front sight base. Until then I'll just apply copious amounts of Kentucky windage and have fun with it. I'll post pictures of the rifle as soon as I get the survey done. Thanks for the help.

Sully

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 02:30:42 PM »
Looking at the photos you posted, that's every bit a NA modification right there and not a bubba'd gun.  The threaded hole held a spring clip that kept the cleaning rod from rattling/falling out on Cowboy's Companions.  Does your gun have the rail at the midpoint of the receiver or at the back of the receiver?  The mid rail guns are not very common.

Yours:

Original from NA:

I think you should be able to tweak that FSB back to 12 o'clock and reinstall those pins (since they came out so easily) and be in business.  Shouldn't take much to twist that FSB now that he pins are out, oftentimes the pins can be the hard part...  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 04:36:10 PM »
I would reinstall the pins and whack it hard with a rubber mallot or dead-blow the direction it needs to go.  The pins will just twist a hair.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Sully

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »
RM The rail is at the rear of the receiver.