Author Topic: First Sks  (Read 2453 times)

Offline SKSfanCanada

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
First Sks
« on: August 19, 2019, 11:20:27 AM »
Hi everyone, I just bought my first firearm, a Chinese sks from Cabelas for $199 CAD. I'll attach some pictures, so I've tried to identify it but being a newbie I can't quite figure it out if anyone could help with that it would be appreciated. I hand picked it out of 5 they had there and seemed to be the best looking one, hoping I got a good deal on it. Field stripped it and cleaned off the cosmoline with mineral spirits after the pictures were taken, trigger assembly was HARD to get off lol! Anyways very happy new owner and excited to get into my likely expensive journey of owning firearms.

Cheers!

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
Re: First Sks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 01:01:43 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of the SKS.  From your mineral spirits comment, I see you have already come into contact with the cosmoline preservative.  Please be sure the goop is completely removed from the bolt before firing.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 01:12:51 PM »
Welcome!

For trigger group removal and installation, make sure the safety is on (lever adjacent to stock).

The serial number begins with 23, so 23rd year of production of the Type 56 = 1978. I can't see the arsenal marking very clearly in the dark photo but it appears to be one of those that is difficult to determine the order of the numbers. Look at the "Arsenal Stamps" sticky: https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=43.0

I know Canadian prices are lower but I don't know your market keenly. In the US, 199 USD would be a steal, let alone 199 CAD.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:26:54 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline SKSfanCanada

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 02:13:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, the gun was fairly "clean" when I picked it up or so it seemed. I got most of the cosmoline off and made sure the bolt and firing pin was especially clean and that it was floating. Another question I have is after I lube the gun parts is it worth getting some sort of rust protectant? And is Hoppes 9 bore cleaner good enough for cleaning the internal parts in addition to the bore?

I'll get some clearer pics up when I get the chance.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 07:06:50 PM »
hi Canada and welcome. good to have you here. that is a beauty. watch out for corrosive ammo and give a good leaning after each use.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline SKSfanCanada

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 01:02:11 PM »
hi Canada and welcome. good to have you here. that is a beauty. watch out for corrosive ammo and give a good leaning after each use.  thumb1

Absolutely, we have a alot of Chinese surplus over here where I am so stocking up is on the horizon  :) Saw your signature thanks for your service in Vietnam.

Online Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 03:43:56 PM »
I really like that stock is that original/ matching to the gun? I don't think I have seen that grain on Chinese. Can someone enlighten me?

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 09:48:31 PM »
Welcome, Canada.
You did well, Sir.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 10:27:50 PM »

I know Canadian prices are lower but I don't know your market keenly. In the US, 199 USD would be a steal, let alone 199 CAD.

Im out of touch too, but it sure looks like a good deal.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 10:53:06 PM »
I really like that stock is that original/ matching to the gun? I don't think I have seen that grain on Chinese. Can someone enlighten me?

The tree was feed a lot of grain as a youngster. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 11:47:12 PM »

The tree was feed a lot of grain as a youngster.

I should've known better!!  rofl clap1

Offline SKSfanCanada

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »
Welcome, Canada.
You did well, Sir.

Thank ya, looking forward to heading out to the range this weekend and putting er through it's paces.

Offline echo83

• Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 03:46:30 PM »
Good looking gun, the stock in particular is really nice! I know Canada has restricted magazines and different import regulations, but I'm continually stunned at the lower prices you all enjoy.

Let us know how the range trip goes!