Author Topic: What's your thought process on selling?  (Read 802 times)

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
What's your thought process on selling?
« on: June 13, 2023, 08:37:12 PM »
Just curious as to everyone's opinion on something... 

What is important to you when deciding what to sell or keep?  I'll make up an simple example... 

You have 3 SKSs rifles and decide you only want one (or whatever the scenario might be).  So you decide to sell 2. 

#1 is worth the most or maybe the rarest
#2 is beat up but is a great/fun shooter
#3 you have a sentimental feelings for, but is nothing special

What would you sell or keep? Thinking I need to thin out mine and am going through this same process.

Just curious as to your thought process is on something like this. 

Thanks!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: What's your thought process on selling?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 11:07:24 PM »
Definitely sell #1 cause if it's rare I'd probably not shoot it as much. Plus maximum $$$
Between #2 and #3 Sentimental value rules out over beater gun shooter if they are of similar value. Probably not enough difference between them cash-wise so, as mentioned, the sentimental value wins out. If it'sas good a shooter as #2 and looks better then that's a bonus.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 11:18:32 PM »
Definitely sell #1 cause if it's rare I'd probably not shoot it as much. Plus maximum $$$
Between #2 and #3 Sentimental value rules out over beater gun shooter if they are of similar value. Probably not enough difference between them cash-wise so, as mentioned, the sentimental value wins out. If it'sas good a shooter as #2 and looks better then that's a bonus.

Thanks for the reply....   

Yeah I tend to keep the ones that mean more to me.

Do have one that's valuable but have no real sentimental attachment to it.  If I sell it, I'd probably never get another but that would be offset by the attachment I'd have for the ones I'd keep.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 11:24:24 PM »
Guess.. I'm a little different.. I could care less how much I could get, I'd just buy more gun junk anyway rofl2 I'd start with the least amount of interest.. like I'd cull the Russians first, then Chinese, the Yugoslavians, the Albanians and finally the Romanians..   I have my sentimental ones.. but in the end.. it's just a material object.. wave enough green paper and it would be gone. I'll just find something more interesting.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 11:37:35 PM »
They are all sentimental.

My neighbor asked me if I would sell one based on these criteria....just last night.
I didn't know what to say...

Then, he asked for ammo....
Sheesh.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 12:41:14 AM »
Every time I sold one I kick myself. GM makes a good point but he has guns that he doesn't even know he has. And yes, The Romanians when at cheek are the best smelling out of all of them. Yugo M59 a close second. If I only had three Im right there with GG on keeping the sentimental functioning SkS that now has to earn its keep when called upon: )

So send pictures and prices on the other two  rofl thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 01:10:48 AM »
Every time I sold one I kick myself. GM makes a good point but he has guns that he doesn't even know he has. And yes, The Romanians when at cheek are the best smelling out of all of them. Yugo M59 a close second. If I only had three Im right there with GG on keeping the sentimental functioning SkS that now has to earn its keep when called upon: )

So send pictures and prices on the other two  rofl thumb1

Cause... Well... I don't sell.  Seller remorse is a serious thing.. or maybe it's just hoarding....  but I've been there done that, then I end up finding another.. but if it's not my thing, no problems..

I know I have stuffs, somewhere... cause it's in the books.. I just gotta take the time to find it.  rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 08:20:03 AM »
I know saying that dreaded "S Word" is a bannable offense here!   chuckles1

It's just a fact that I can't buy and keep every SKS or other collectible firearm I see and like.  Starting to come around to the thought a smaller collection is just fine (perhaps better?) if it has quality items that mean something to me.  Could take them to the range more often too.  wink1  I've recently parted with two Chinese (from Albania) and haven't had a nervous break-down yet. 

With that in mind selling some more has become something I'm thinking about.  Don't have too and may regret it later....but it's been on my mind as to what might stay and what could go.   cry1

I'm sure GM would be pleased to know, that no Romanians will be sold....since I don't have any!    chuckles1

Russians and Yugos are another story......

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2023, 06:32:56 PM »
Kind of a mix for me. I'm definitely hanging on to my M-21's, Public Security's (#1), the ol' bring-back (my #3), the nicer (blade or spike) Chinese, a Romy and a Yugo. Then, I'd whittle it down to/26\ and oddball factories, then the reeeally clean Chicoms. Leftovers would be the Russians, save a couple just for GP. Pinned or screw-on barrels, then sling stock positions are at the bottom of the 'would I keep or sell' list. They’re all nmatching w/bayonet so not a factor. My shooters (#2) are a parkerized (I didn't do it!) Russian with a sanded and stained stock and a Chicom w/a glued and refinished stock (I did it!) 🤪

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2023, 10:13:54 PM »
Since I made hard the decision to sell some guns in 2019, once I started, I didn't look back. A consideration for me was the Kali limit of 5 transaction per calendar year. You can sell more than one per transaction, so I bundled some and started in September to have overlap if my ads sold more than 5 times. Of the initial SKS heap I moved 15 rifles in varying conditions and grades. It was difficult trying to decide which would go and which would stay (I still loved the mongrel dogs). Ultimately, the SARCO builds and Chinese mix-masters came to the front, then the nicest commercial units, then the dupe C&Rs, a '70 Alby that I had 2 of, and a mixer Romy. I sold a few in groups of 3 or 4 at a discount than if bought singularly. The FIRST 3 guys jumped on 10 rifles. It started getting tougher to choose after the first batch went away.
 A little later I let 5 more go (very nice ones for even more money) and gave away a couple Paratroopers. The SKS rifles that remained I'm trying not to off, but they're getting even bigger money now. It's tempting. In that same time frame, I let 3 A5's go to one guy in NC (Sweet Sixteen, Magnum Twelve, Light Twelve) all Belgium (not really a shot gunner & all needed new barrels for Kali mandated steel shot), a Spanish 1916 .308 Mauser (never really took to it, very loose & sloppy) and my onliest NFA Kali neutered AR (what's the point if you can't have big mags). I did turn some of the ducats or SKS rifles into a Lux FN 49, a 10/22 Tommy gun, 2 NIB Rough Riders (bought at street faire in Kentucky where my son lived), Big Loop Henry .41 mag, a broken .357 octagon barrel Rossi 92 (came in pieces but with the parts to repair-$100 bucks  :) ), and a Ruger Ranch in X39. So I didn't go backwards too far  :)) PAX
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 10:18:11 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2023, 07:15:21 AM »
echo, I basically did the same thing last year. P2P'd 52 (4 bundles) here in Kali to four Marines transferring out to VA.
Ironically, most were my original scruffy, mixed serno, $99 to $199-ish VA gun show grabs; picked up when I was stationed there in the mid-80s! Fortunate for me, my LGS is a long-time friend and former-Marine who took proper care of the entire "project".
Semper Fi!

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2023, 12:34:51 PM »
echo, I basically did the same thing last year. P2P'd 52 (4 bundles) here in Kali to four Marines transferring out to VA.
Ironically, most were my original scruffy, mixed serno, $99 to $199-ish VA gun show grabs; picked up when I was stationed there in the mid-80s! Fortunate for me, my LGS is a long-time friend and former-Marine who took proper care of the entire "project".
Semper Fi!

My 01 was a major contributor to my ability to "acquire" weapons. He was a good friend as well and would only charge me $25 bucks to process one 4473 and would hold the paperwork until I had 5 guns to transfer. There was never any fee to receive. After he hung up his shingle a few years ago (it got too confusing for him to keep in Kali compliance), I pretty much stopped buying from out of state. My new go to FFL is still better than most, he only charges me $75 bucks to receive and DROS, most charge at least a hunnerd plus the DROS fee. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2023, 10:05:43 AM »
Dude, $75/$100 seems a bit high.
My 01 that I've known for years (we served together in the Corps) ---> $30 all in for any transfer.

Offline theSKSguy45

• I huff cosmoline recreationally
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2023, 03:42:04 PM »
I have a 1953 with Russian writing carved onto it, it would take an extraordinary example to top that in my opinion. i put the history of the specific rifle first and that is a really cool link to the past.

for anyone curious the writing translates to "Crimea 24" and the second one I've heard many different results for but "given to an alcoholic" is the translation i think is correct.
My bank account is in a permanent state of emergency thanks to this site