Author Topic: Lengths of Chinese Cleaning Rods, (both standard and paratrooper)  (Read 5872 times)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
I've been sorting through old inventory of various cleaning rods, trying to determine actual origins and label them. Does the para cleaning rod measure 13 1/8" (could be 13 3/16"?) in length? I know the standard Chinese Type 56 cleaning rod is 17'', I just don't remember the paratrooper cleaning rod length.

I also have a couple of 15 1/2" and 15 3/4" lengths, with the cleaning swab slot in the end. I believe they are Euro-type AK-47 cleaning rods. Were all East German AK-47 cleaning rods slotted like that? I believe I saw some Hungarian that were slotted, as well? 

I looked through the Sticky's, but didn't find one that addressed cleaning rod lengths. If there is one, please advise on that, too.

Thanks for any and all input, as always!

firstchoice

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: Lengths of Chinese Cleaning Rods, (both standard and paratrooper)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 10:19:15 AM »
firstchoice I believe a sticky listing cleaning rod lengths is a good idea for reference material here at the -Files

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 10:29:58 AM »
I think you'll find slight variances in the 16" barrel gun cleaning rods, due to how many different production types there were. But they should be in the 13" range.

My NA Type 84 rod is 13 1/16".

My 89 Sporter rod (stubby FSB) is 12 5/8".

I have another one here that I think is from a Yugo...it's 15 5/8".

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 09:49:50 PM »
firstchoice I believe a sticky listing cleaning rod lengths is a good idea for reference material here at the -Files

I hear that!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 07:45:22 AM »

I hear that!

I figured the likely place/reference section to look was under the Chinese SKS Guide; Component Variations.

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/component-variations.html

I don't know if Cleaning Rods are considered components or accessories? I guess they could start a sub-section under Components for Accessories? Well, scratch that. I just found a separate section for Accessories.

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/accessories.html

It has everything from Grenade Launcher attachments to pouches, slings, slings, oil bottles, and stocks. This would probably be where the Chinese Cleaning Rod variations, types, and lengths data would end up?

Thanks for the input and answers guys! I would think that that kind of info would go well near or attached to the "Newbie's Quick SKS ID Guide for use at the Gunshow!" thread. You guys know how it is trying to discern what's what in a box of parts at a table, especially when they differ by just an inch or two, or less. It's an idea, anyway. I'm sure RM and the other Mods have loads of spare time to make these specs available to the rest of the world!  thumb1  :)

PS, I agree on the slight variations of 16" barreled SKS. My SKS-S has a 13 1/16" cleaning rod while my /26\ 11 million (1966) SN'd para has a 13 3/16" cleaning rod. My Yugo 59/66's measure about 15 21/32"- 15 11/16", but I haven't measured them all yet, either. I may get more varied results. That '89 SPORTER w/the stubby FSB sure has a short cleaning rod. I bet those are few and far between to find.

firstchoice

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 03:35:40 PM »
Just for some reference, as I've found and seen, all of these rods used, abused and freely swapped around, even mis-identified as well. Simply due to the relationship of all of these weapons, I figured it should be pointed out, because sometimes it's not quite as easy as this takes this exact rod, that takes that exact rod. thumb1

Chinese Ak47 is 15 5/8 inches....  15 & 1/2 to 15 & 3/4 inches is fairly standard for all other Combloc AKM & Ak47
Russian Mosin M44/Chinese Type 53 17 1/2 inches (Chinese Type 53 Mosin rod is usually "not" knurled on the end, also most commercial made rods are also smooth on the end)
Same length rod is found/used in the Polish, Hungarian and Romanian M44 variants.(These will typically have knurled ends, ones with numbers like a Hungarian rod could be stamped 02/Romanian rods will have the Cugir arrow stamp/Polish no bluing or in general, any M44 rod with knurling could be a collector item)

It kind of makes sense, both the M44 and SKS share more than most think, I mentioned the relationship of all of these weapons, lets take the cartridge, magazine and action design out of the equation, you then have two weapons with barrels the same length, the same exact bore diameter, both have attached bayonets, even the overall weight and length is so very close. In size and weight, I mean close enough to give or take an ounce or two and maybe about a half inch or so in length. So why make 2 separate rods? I bet if Russia had put a trapdoor in the Mosin butt stock, it would have shared the same cleaning kit.

For special case scenarios...
Mosin M91/30 is 26 1/4 inches.  This rod could easily be utilized to solve a "lack of rod" by cutting and rethreading with a 5/32" - 32 die(it's close enough to pass visual muster and usually will fit the cleaning kit accessory’s in a dire emergency, 99% of collectors don't use it anyway, it's for looks and appearance only) if desired due to fairly common commercial availability.

The Russian, Chinese, all Mosin Nagants, Euro/Russian AK's, SKS(Chinese,Russian,Romanian,Albanian) all share the same cleaning rod threads. Only thing I could find different, the Yugoslavian SKS & AK firearms are said to have used a slightly different thread pattern, standard Combloc/Chinese Mosin/Ak/SKS M3.5 x 0.6 vs. Yugoslavian M4.0mm x 0.7, Thread pitch from a Soviet armory repair manual shows 4.06mm x 32TPI, or a 5/32" - 32 die which is close enough for gov't work...

At a show, if one is at wits end, out of patience, hunting a generic rod for a SKS with the faintest of thought of cutting and threading, Avoid the following....
You find a mile long cleaning rod, it could be for a Russian/Finnish Mosin M91, these are 29 inches long------>Special warning<------ Do not cut, for it's collective value, you could probably easily trade 2, maybe 3 or more normal SKS cleaning rods for it depending on what you find, the ends will be knurled in various ways, slotted, pinned and brazed/welded on.
Same applies to what one would think a regular old junkie 24 3/8 inch rod is, these could fit Finnish M27, M28, M28/30, M39 Mosins, M27RV is 21 3/8 inches, again, value could be worth x number of standard SKS rods, again, the ends could vary, being knurled, machined, slotted, pinned or even brazed on.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:40:23 PM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem