Author Topic: East Coast Blizzard  (Read 12861 times)

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
East Coast Blizzard
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:14:38 PM »
I just read the national weather service's assessment of the upcoming storm on the east coast:

Quote from: NWS
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
319 PM EST SUN JAN 25 2015

...CRIPPLING AND POTENTIALLY HISTORIC BLIZZARD TO IMPACT THE AREA
FROM LATE MONDAY INTO TUESDAY......

BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM MONDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST
TUESDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM MONDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST
TUESDAY NIGHT. THE BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...NEW YORK CITY AND SURROUNDING IMMEDIATE
  SUBURBS...LONG ISLAND...AND MOST OF SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WITH BLIZZARD
  CONDITIONS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 20 TO 30 INCHES...WITH
  LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 4 INCHES
  LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING.

* WINDS...NORTH 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS 55 TO 65 MPH...STRONGEST
  ACROSS EASTERN LONG ISLAND.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 20S.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN MONDAY MORNING...WITH
  ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES POSSIBLE BY THE EVENING RUSH.
  SNOW WILL PICK UP IN INTENSITY MONDAY EVENING...WITH THE
  HEAVIEST SNOW AND STRONGEST WINDS FROM ABOUT MIDNIGHT
  MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...LIFE-THREATENING CONDITIONS AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
  TRAVEL DUE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL AND STRONG WINDS...WITH WHITEOUT
  CONDITIONS. SECONDARY AND TERTIARY ROADS MAY BECOME IMPASSABLE.
  STRONG WINDS MAY DOWN POWER LINES AND TREE LIMBS.

I'm hearing 2 to 3 feet for this one and 40 MPH sustained winds.  It sounds like it's going to be a monster.  I don't know if we have members from this area (Carl in CT?), but if you haven't already done so, I just wanted to make sure you guys take the necessary precautions while there's still time.  Sounds like power could be out for a long while simply due to the proportions of this storm.  Extra water, food, fill up the gas tanks in the cars, extra gas for the snow blower, wood ready for the stove, etc etc. 

Stay safe out there!  I'll be praying for ya.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: East Coast Blizzard
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:30:48 PM »
Sure glad Im not runnin the I80 corridor right now.   :o

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Adam7

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 11:44:32 PM »
Am I the only one that read this with the beeping before and after and in a robot voice?

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 11:51:14 PM »
Am I the only one that read this with the beeping before and after and in a robot voice?

I hope so.    rofl

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:07:36 AM »
I DESPISE SNOW!!  HATE IT, IT SUCKS BUTTS, BLOWS SATCHELS
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 01:12:23 PM »
Carl you'd hate wisconsin.

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Violating safe spaces everywhere
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 02:18:57 PM »
Crap, crap, crap. Saturday the local weather said partly to mostly sunny all week. I find out yesterday at church this is on the way. What a difference a day makes.

Well, I wish I had more firewood ready in the house (it's in the shed unsplit but at least it's there and I have a spitter) and more propane in the tank outside but we will be ok. I wish I would have swept the chimney but I need new rods, was planning on getting them this week. It's not that bad, I swept it before the burn season started. I have 25 gallons of gas for the generator (and snowmobile) and will be stocking up on water after work.

Got the horses blankets on them this morning, have to fill up their heated 100 gallon water tank after work and store more water for them too, got plenty of grain and hay. If we loose power I will have to run their heated water trough off the generator too, at least for 8-12 hours a day.

We have enough food for a few days and the gas grill has a pretty full tank. Plenty of batteries, lanterns, etc. I doubt this will be crippling for more than 2-3 days if that in my area. There aren't a lot of remote areas in CT or southern New England, I would be surprised if things weren't back to normal by Thursday night in most areas. The very good news is they are saying it will stay cold enough that the snow won't get wet and sticky which will help keep the power on. If that changes and it gets wet/sticky then it could be days/weeks before power is restored, etc. Pray it stays cold.
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 02:27:06 PM »
Hope all goes well for ya Carl. Stay warm and keep us posted if ya can.  thumb1
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 03:20:35 PM »
Funny, I think even the animals know something is up. The kids saw a fox scurrying around the horse trailer and before that I saw this on my back deck this morning:

It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Offline scarymike23

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 03:32:10 PM »
Wow.... stay safe East coasters! And post some pics of the snowfall. Call me weird (or worse) but I love weather like that. My wife and kids get all the winter they care for here in SE Michigan but if it were just me I'd be living in a shack near the Arctic circle.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 08:21:47 PM »
I DESPISE SNOW!!  HATE IT, IT SUCKS BUTTS, BLOWS SATCHELS

My sentiments exactly Greasemonkey! It looks good on post cards and calenders but NOT in my yard.

Carl in CT I wish you folks the best, glad to hear you are preparing for it. Sounds like this storm may be a ring-tailed tooter! Send us a Sit-Rep when you can.

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 10:21:30 PM »
I am hearing talk of this storm being downgraded but nobody is committing to that yet. So far we just have a few inches but they said the worst would be overnight and through tomorrow morning. Not sure why the talk of downgrading, maybe it's tracking further out to sea than earlier models predicted or it's moving faster and won't linger as long or there isn't as much moisture as they thought, who knows. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 10:25:13 PM »
Lets hope this is the case. A storm of the magnitude they are predicting can be deadly for some folks.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 11:52:11 PM »
Awesome Carl.  I hype the media hype is just that and it turns out to be a typical nor'easter and not a 20 year storm of epic proportions!

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 08:20:08 AM »
74 degrees in N Texas today.   :)

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 10:28:31 AM »
74 degrees in N Texas today.   :)

Nice! 

Well, this is an impressive storm but not the storm of the century. Western CT has seen only 4-6" but here in eastern CT we have 18-24" but it's really hard to be precise with all of the drifting. Some drifts are several feet deep, like on my driveway where my big snowblower had to tunnel through on the first pass. It's still coming down pretty good but not as heavy as before. They are saying we may see some heavy bands still pass through but it should be over by mid to late afternoon. I would guess our totals will be 24-30" of snow here.

Had to clear a path to the horse barn early this morning to feed them, clean the barn, etc. They all did fine, they stayed in the barn until morning then they were out looking to get fed. They have blankets on for extreme weather like this but they handle cold just fine without them most of the time. We brought them a hot mash of soaked beet pulp, carrot and apple slices to mix with their grain and corn oil. They love that.

The stupid power cord came loose on their water trough so that was all frozen over. My daughter broke that up and scooped out the ice/slush. It was half empty but then so we all took two trips each with buckets of hot water from the house to fill it back up. The heater is reconnected and should be able to keep up now. Our mare came right over and took a big drink, she was so happy to have warm water to drink!

So I will have to do more clearing later, my camera was dead so I'll charge that and try to get some pics. My roof has several feet of snow on the back side, like it always does with these big storms, so I will have to get the roof rake out later and get that cleared off so I don't get ice dams and water backing up under the shingles.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 10:33:36 AM »
Good to hear your on top of things Carl!

I remember the blizzard of 1995 or 96?  in PA..... what a nightmare.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 11:17:48 AM »
Glad to hear its not as bad as they made it out to be.  I read where the gov of NY said anyone driving in their cars after a certain time was guilty of breaking the law.  :o. You guys have 'interesting' politicians up there that's for certain.

In glad to see you're spoiling the animals Carl!  I take out a kettle of warmed water to the chickens every morning in the winter and make some steaming mash for them out of their egg layer crumble.  I was worried I might have attachment issues to poultry or somethin'!  chuckles1

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
Good to hear your on top of things Carl!

I remember the blizzard of 1995 or 96?  in PA..... what a nightmare.

Oh yeah, I think it was 96. You guys in PA guy totally slammed with that one. We got it good too but not quite as bad. I was snow plowing with my brother-in-law that year for his landscaping business. That was a loooooooooong night/day. I was plowing with a F-250 standard. Always tricky driving to steer, shift, and operate the plow all at once, always needed a third hand.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 02:01:09 PM »
We had two big ones back in '09-'10, 70 couple inches between two storms 3 weeks apart. bat1 But being me,

I keep 5500 pounds of "I HATE SNOW" cure tucked away. She is an oldie, but a goodie  thumb1, throw some chains on it, hit the key, it's a cold fun time.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem