Author Topic: Temperamental SKS  (Read 12137 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Temperamental SKS
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2018, 06:28:18 PM »
Remember.....  If this bolt is too 'long', we can make it work.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline BadMonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2018, 07:38:00 PM »
Roger that...thanks!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2018, 10:16:20 AM »
For reference..

The difference between a 'go' and 'no go' gauge is about .005" to .007" depending on if its CIP or SAAMI specs.  This is the thickness of ONE layer of blue painters masking tape.  So you can add ONE layer of tape to the rear of a 'go' gauge and turn it into a 'no go' gauge.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline BadMonk

• Cadet
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2018, 08:49:18 PM »
First, 'thanks' to everyone who used their own time to help me learn about my SKS and figure out the problem.  I learned a lot here and that pushed me to research more on my own.

This afternoon, I got the matching numbered bolt this afternoon.  For a few dollars and my troubles, I kept the other bolt that had gone thru Murray's.  It was a good deal.  The real shiny one on top is the Murray bolt

I then went straight to the range, slipped in the matching bolt, pulled the trigger and bang.  Nice but I've been here before.  Pulled the trigger and bang...bang again.  I felt cautiously good but, after three more shots, I'm zeroing on my target.  I wasn't at the range very long but shot 40 rounds and no problems.  It's zeroed close enough for government work, for now.   

Took the rifle home, cleaned it, gave it the lacquer build-up treatment and changed out firing pins.  The Murray pin feels good.  It lives!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2018, 10:08:50 PM »
So the previous owner still had the original bolt?   Looks like the one that had insufficient headspace had the drop-free bolt mod. 

Is the 'original' bolt you just got stamped with any of the serials digit sequence?

Offline BadMonk

• Cadet
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2018, 10:42:33 PM »
Yes, he had the original bolt and put the Murray’s bolt in the gun, probably because we had discussed it before the transaction.

The problematic bolt looked like it was polished up quite a bit.  In comparison, that bolt is narrower in spots than the original good bolt. 

The original bolt (that works) has stamped numbers that match the serial numbers on other parts of the firearm. I probably should have taken a better pic to show the numbers but it’s a Norinco with serial number 1611706.  Not sure if I answered your question, hopefully I did

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2018, 11:08:24 PM »
Problem solve.

The other bolt is narrow on the bottom because its been modified for the drop-free bolt mod. 

Offline BadMonk

• Cadet
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2018, 11:23:28 PM »
Ah, drop-free bolt mod...got it.  Just looked it up and, yes, that's what the problem bolt looks like, from what I can tell.  Interesting, sort of.  I'm glad the original bolt works just fine.  Thanks for the help!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2018, 07:41:59 PM »
Glad she's working well for you now!  dance2

Nice of that previous owner to throw in the other bolt too.  Not that it does you much good at the moment, but if you got some headspace gauges you could make it an exact fit and have a reliable spare "just in case".  thumb1  Bolt bodies sell for 30ish bucks on ebay too, so that's always another option to get something out of the part that caused you so much grief.   thumb1

Offline BadMonk

• Cadet
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2018, 09:15:35 PM »
Well yeah, I got a Murray's firing pin and a spare bolt for my trouble and a few bucks.  The main thing was that the original bolt works  and the firearm can be used.  The way things were going, I wondered if it was ever going to work.  From the forty or so shots, it seems accurate enough too...nothing to complain about.  I didn't really heat up the barrel to see what happens then but I really don't fire like that any how so...I'm good with it.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2018, 10:21:25 PM »
Connon likes happy endings.    thumb1

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2018, 12:35:04 AM »
I would love to see a headspace sticky... that isn't what she said... or was it?   dance2

Troubleshooting this gun was educational.  Something that might be great to have around is an instructional for checking, and fixing headspace issues. I have one gun I never headspaced that has a brand new bolt. I am sure a cache of those Tapco bolts will turn up...it couldn't hurt to have folks in the know share what they have done to ensure a safe firearm with either surplus or aftermarket bolts.

Now that the imports (again) have dwindled...there may be more folks building SKSs out of parts. I hadn't really considered it much since I got that DB designed without the locking lug.  After this thread it makes me consider a couple others that while functioning....may not be quite safe. 

Anyone got a brand new bolt, some files and a decent camera?  Someone with those prerequisites could potentially save lives.... That blown up SKS LC posted awhile back is a great example of why. :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2018, 12:39:54 PM »
I have a bolt body that had too much material removed, and as a result would create excessive headspace in likely every SKS.

Maybe I can show excessive, build up a weld and show insufficient, then adjust the bolt to show correct. 

That should show all three conditions. 

Offline BadMonk

• Cadet
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2018, 01:43:03 PM »
Speaking as someone who knows nothing about headspace - except for what I learned on this thread - I'd be interested in understanding much more about it especially if welding is involved.

Offline BadMonk

• Cadet
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2018, 08:29:54 PM »
It's been a while since posting so I'm doing a short follow-up.  The gun's been to the range a few times since my last post and it's been running without a hiccup, except once.  It was the second range trip where it presented the same problems ... can't pull the trigger, may or may not fire if the trigger does release, even got the unexpected slam fire.  It took a minute or two to realize that I put the troublesome bolt in when screwing around with parts.  Dumb move.  Anyhow, the gun runs like great and is more accurate than I can be.  I put a cheapo NC Star gas tube/rail on it with the Bushnell RDS and it works well for me.  Definitely one of my favorite rifles.  Thanks again for the assist!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2018, 10:48:32 PM »
Excellent!

Perhaps mark that other bolt with red sharpie or something so you don't install it...

Offline BadMonk

• Cadet
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2018, 07:35:48 AM »
good idea wrt the sharpie.  it's bagged and away from my hands but good for later on.

Offline BaerenGott

• Cadet
  • rescuer of old trucks
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2019, 10:30:10 AM »
If it still has issues I'd strongly recommend you have a competent gunsmith go/no-go gauge it. 

USAF brat 1962-1983
USN 1983-2007
currently a Peace Officer & FireFighter

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2019, 08:15:41 PM »
I've also used denatured alcohol on suspected lacquer build up - zaps it really well.