Author Topic: M59  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Charleslee

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
M59
« on: April 03, 2023, 08:51:16 AM »
What do you knowledgeable fellas think about this rifle? I have  one or two 59/66’s but have wanted a 59 for some time now.’ I think it looks good but it’s been up F/S & no takers. I read here that stamped & electro-penciled #’s are common on these so no biggie. Thanks & I hope everyone is well.

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/yugo-m59-sks.1239413/

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: M59
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 11:24:52 AM »
Not a ton of detail in those 12 photos but it looks to be in relatively decent shape.   The bayo looks surprisingly good as the coating looks to be intact w/o a ton of flaking which is not always the case.  I don't see any huge red flags on this one.  It's a C&R covered firearm, so if you have a FFL03 (and live in a free state i.e. not California) he could ship it right to your door & save you the $20 to $40 FFL transfer fee. 

I'm not sure whether $600 is a reasonable price for one these days as I've not bought an SKS since 2019.  Yugos often get lumped in with the red headed stepchildren of the SKS world as they are numerous, but not necessarily 'popular' like the Russian SKS45 or even a Chinese Type 56.  M59s pop up relatively regularly, but if you haven't seen one pop up in a while and have a hole to fill it might be worth pursuing this one. 

If you do go for this one, you might PM the guy and see if he will send you additional photos of the matching #'s on the bolt & carrier and any other areas you might want a closer look at.  You could ask why he's selling it (is it a problem child?), what the bore looks like (muzzle rifling looks OK from the photos), and how it shoots.  For payment, I would *only* use USPS Money Order, never Zelle or PayPal.  You have almost zero recourse if the deal goes south with the latter two.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 11:37:52 AM »
For $600, it looks like a good deal.

As rm suggests, photos of all serials as well as part# stamps would be helpful. IMO, mismatched parts would be ok at that price if you're looking for a shooter-- as long as those mismatched parts are also Yugo parts. Personally i'm not very keen on ep serials but they are not uncommon on rearsenaled sks carbines.

One thing that pops out to me is the absence of the 1TRZ  rearsenal stamp on the butt stock. I don't recall ever seeing an M59 that didn't have a rearsenal stamp on the stock.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 11:53:17 AM »
One thing that pops out to me is the absence of the 1TRZ  rearsenal stamp on the butt stock. I don't recall ever seeing an M59 that didn't have a rearsenal stamp on the stock.

They exist, my M59 doesn't have that stamp either: (but it is clearly a refurbished carbine with a EP'd trigger group)

The stock on Charleslee's potential buy looks like a pretty standard Elm to me.

Offline Charleslee

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 02:05:54 PM »
Thank you so much, fellas. I appreciate it. I’m looking for a collector piece actually. I’ll never find one minty like some of yours & even if I did it would cost far more. I’m fixing to ask the seller the following Q’s you recommended plus I’ll request pics:

If you do go for this one, you might PM the guy and see if he will send you additional photos of the matching #'s on the bolt & carrier and any other areas you might want a closer look at.  You could ask why he's selling it (is it a problem child?), what the bore looks like (muzzle rifling looks OK from the photos), and how it shoots.  For payment, I would *only* use USPS Money Order, never Zelle or PayPal.  You have almost zero recourse if the deal
As rm suggests, photos of all serials as well as part# stamps would be helpful.

The seller may or may not oblige & w/ probably be annoyed - so what? If he wants to make a sale…
I’ll let you guys know what he says & provided.

Offline Charleslee

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2023, 02:18:45 PM »
Sent:

Sir: I’m interested in the above & have a few Q’s pls. as well as
additional pics request.

Could you possibly send additional photos of the matching #'s on the bolt & carrier & of all serial #’s as well as part # stamps pls. If I may ask, why are you selling it (is it a problem child?) What does the bore looks like (muzzle rifling looks OK from the photos), and how does it shoot?

Thanks for accommodating me, much appreciated. Charles

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2023, 04:35:56 PM »
Wouldn't hurt to find out if it's a "B" or "C" model, B's being a tad more scarce, I think. PM inbound, PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2023, 05:15:49 PM »
Hey Pax, it's a C: serial is C303XX. 

You're right though.  I hadn't thought about the fact a B block is much harder to find than a C, that could make a difference in desirability.

Offline Charleslee

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 06:32:31 PM »
The seller responded w/ this & additional pics. Hope this helps you guys:

Here is the picture you ask for. The bore is very good, shinny with no pitting. I have include the picture you ask for. I never shoot this one since I have another chinese sks shoot a lot. I'm selling it for funding the money back for my house work.

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 06:52:54 PM »
That’s a mistmatch in my book but the price isn’t bad. Not a deal but not bad. Could be a starter M59 :)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2023, 08:15:25 PM »
A mismatched "C" in the hand is better than a "B" in the bush, because if it's in the bush that means it's NOT yours, LOL.

I am of the frame of mind the price is consistent with today's market. Heck even a nice Chinese is going for $600 these days.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 08:18:24 PM »
Agreed. My only m59 is a C mismatch.  :P

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 08:18:36 PM »
I think it's a good deal. It looks to be a genuine, all Yugo parts rifle.

Considering what mismatched type56's and heavily refurbed sks45's are going for nowadays, I don't think you can go wrong with a $600 Yugo M59. 

Offline Charleslee

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 08:46:52 PM »
My thoughts exactly! I only started collecting guns in 2004 so I missed the glory days. My least expensive Chinese 56 was $299 before Covid from Atlantic or Centerfire or one of the big on-line retailers. One for $399. I was hoping this particular 59 was more than a shooter but that’s ok. W/ do as stated should I get it.

Offline Charleslee

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2023, 08:48:42 PM »
I’m certainly glad I ran it by you guys. As always, the prudent move. Thank you!!!

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2023, 12:11:33 AM »
That’s a mistmatch in my book but the price isn’t bad. Not a deal but not bad. Could be a starter M59 :)

Getting tougher to find in the wild these days. I didn't click on the photo link to look for the serial. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798