Author Topic: Chicom SKS I picked up  (Read 648 times)

Offline edteach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Chicom SKS I picked up
« on: September 13, 2023, 05:12:13 PM »
I got this cheap. Its a bit of a mix master with the stock and receiver the only parts that match I think. I really don't care as I have others that are all matching. But for 150 bucks I could not pass it up. I removed the buba tripod. The scope I am leaving on. It was missing the mag so I bought a chicom 10 round original mag that is coming in. I have not taken it to the range yet. Waiting for the mag. It seems to function fine dry firing and cocking the bolt by hand. The gas tube hand guard was replaced with an after market one. But again as long as it functions fine I really don't care. The scope is a cheap one but I want to test it out at 100 yds. I want to get some cheap wolf ammo or similar and run a few rounds though it. It was all there though, the cleaning kit, rod, bayonet and sling. The leather on the sling was broken on both ends but I made some new ones out of scrap leather I had. For a working gun matching numbers are not important. I also pulled the rubber butt extender off. That was just ugly, I also took off the wood gas tube hand guard someone tried to make a cheek rest out of.

picture to url

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Chicom SKS I picked up
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 05:21:40 PM »
Very good price in today's world. I need to find a cheap shooter to build into a faux Draganov. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 06:41:23 PM »
Wow, first time I've ever seen bubba try to use the gas tube cover as a cheek riser.  :o

For that price I would have bit too, good deal on a project rifle. interested to see how she shoots once you get her right again.  thumb1
-STR

Offline edteach

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 06:49:33 PM »
I will give a range report once I have the mag and get it installed. I also will be taking the Remington 10 riot gun, and Arisaka t38 carbine to the range. I need to grab some cheap ammo. I bought a box at a pawn shop but it was Winchester hunting ammo. I think I should save that and buy some wolf or other Chinese cheap ammo.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 07:00:18 PM »
Hey there edteach, glad to see you here on the Files. And yes, I'm the same Greatguns as on the other forums, LOL.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline edteach

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 07:08:43 PM »
thanks I appreciate the welcome.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 10:50:05 PM »
Greetings!  You done well!  Even if it turns out to be non salvageable in some way, you still will double or triple your $ if you have to part it out.

Like STR says, gas tube hand guard as a cheek riser is a new one to me too. What will bubba think up next?!?

Wolf ammo is actually relatively expensive nowadays (45 to 50 cents a round) as it hasn’t been imported for almost two years now. There is new import ammo from Kyrgyzstan and from Azerbaijan being sold now as well as some ‘Sterling’ steel cased ammo i saw the other day too in the sub 40 cents per round range. No idea of the quality but hopefully the competition keeps prices down a bit.

Good luck and welcome to the boards!  thumb1

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2023, 05:43:05 AM »
Nice one - especially for a buck-fiddy!

Offline edteach

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 07:54:22 PM »
Thanks everybody. I bought a 10 round Chicom mag. It was a drop in, no modification required.  I have dies and bullets coming in and will load up a few rounds and put it through its paces. Will give a range report.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2023, 10:51:35 AM »
Welcome aboard from Kentucky!!  Good snag!!