Author Topic: Need help identifying the Ugly Duckling  (Read 582 times)

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Need help identifying the Ugly Duckling
« on: March 30, 2023, 02:30:26 PM »

Picked this up in a trade today .. felt kinda sorry for it so I brought it home  ???
Definitely not a prom queen  >:(

Looks like arsenal /26\

S/N 14042631

Bolt and carrier 32169

Trigger guard 51531

Receiver cover 42631

Stock appears to be military ??

Missing box mag  :(

Imported by PW Arms Redmond Wa.

Probably nailed together on the Ho Chi Minh trail  :o

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Need help identifying the Ugly Duckling
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 03:32:20 PM »
The PW Arms imports are recent. Your new rifle is from the Albanian stockpiles. 

It's a 14th year carbine with some mis-mactched replacement parts.  A box magazine shouldn't be too hard to find.

Should be a good shooter. The stocks on the Alabanian imports are commonly beat up, but the overall functioning of the rifles is generally very high.

Nice save.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 03:39:41 PM »
As Boris said, this is a Chinese type 56 made in 1969.  The PW Arms import stamp is relatively new, only appearing on type 56s within the past 3 years or so.  This is a newer Sino-Banian import from Albania and they are still being sold at retail right now.

It should have come in with a magazine, but seeing as how the BC and TG are both mismatching, it's hard to say whether it matched or not.  The stock is not original to the gun, it lacks the cutout for the inverted receiver cover takedown lever that all year 12-14 arsenal /26\ type 56s have.  The stock doesn't look like beech to me though, so it may be a Chinese stock off another carbine or even from a replacement Chinese blank.

Find a magazine, shoot and enjoy.  thumb1

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 09:47:07 AM »

Thanks for the helpful info guys  thumb1

I really don’t have much in this dog fight  , I can always salvage the parts for future projects and put the stock in my compost pile for the worms  :(

Just a impulse buy - lesson learned : )

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2023, 11:00:58 AM »
Don't take my previous reply in any way as criticism of you or this carbine!  Just because a gun isn't all matching, a collectors dream, or a high dollar investment, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it!  Depending on what you traded, you didn't do badly I think. No lesson to learn here at all!  It's a functional type 56 (well once you get a magazine), looks solid, likely has a decent to great bore, probably worth $350 to $400 once you get a magazine for it in today's market, and will give you countless hours and many 1000's of rounds of range pleasure!  It's a perfect project gun should you want to tinker with it (maybe look at putting in a G9 magazine adapter into it since it already lacks a magazine), and you're right, you can always salvage the parts for another project.  The stock is not all that bad, there have been many in *far* worse condition!  Here's my last SKS buy from Classic in 2019:

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2023, 01:52:24 PM »

Oh it was a cheap addition - after a little bartering I had less than $100 in it , I realize the parts are worth that although I’m not ready to hack anything up yet  thumb1

I added a duck bill mag I had in a drawer and called it a day   :)

I have a few safe queens and quite a few shooters , one more isn’t gonna hurt ,I just felt kinda sorry for the Ugly Duckling 🐥

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 05:10:37 PM »

The stock did clean up really nice 👍

I’ll put a few rounds through her tomorrow  thumb1

Should make a nice wall hanger out in the shop   ;)