Author Topic: Hey from San Jose!  (Read 7209 times)

Offline DazedandConfuzed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Hey from San Jose!
« on: November 10, 2017, 03:01:08 PM »
I know, I know lame attempt with the play on words.

So I ran across a Yugo SKS that a local guy had. He said it was a 59, unused by him, bought from an importer. I looked it over (uneducated on SKS) and it was clean solid rifle. So, we agree on price meet at the FFL for the paperwork and start the godawful wait here in California. I 'm excited of course, so I decide to start reading up and found  this forum.

Finally I get the firearm home and start looking closely for matching numbers, build date, etc. What do I find? NOTHING!  dash2 Only the sn on the left side of the receiver. Bosnian rebuild...Oh well live and learn.

P.S. My boys love the fact the bayonet is attached! Wife said, two boys only one rifle, what are you going to do?  :)

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Hey from San Jose!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »
Welcome to the files D&C!  thumb1 Glad to have you here.

You might post up the gun in the Yugoslavian section and get some input from the experienced members here.  It's very very uncommon for a Yugoslavian M59 to just have a receiver number and nothing else.  There will usually be some numbers (matching or non-matching) stamped, etched, or EP'd into the bolt, bolt carrier, magazine, receiver, receiver cover, stock, and trigger group.  Are the parts at least properly marked with the Yugoslav specific part numbers?  It could be that your gun was built from parts onto an old barreled receiver here in the states.

Congrats on your new purchase and be warned that they do tend to multiply...especially if one member of the family feels slighted!  :)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 03:25:46 PM »
Pictures please..... thumb1  we like pictures :)

And welcome..

And...... you did that word play on purpose.....now that fricken Dionne Warwick song is stuck in my head.. cry1 Besplode  my alter ego is running around in my head singing it... :-\ rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 03:30:58 PM »
hi Jose and welcome. good to have you here. congrats! have fun with it. very weird no other numbers on the rest of it.  :o
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 05:03:05 PM »
Welcome!  thumb1

Yes, pics please.

Two boys, well obviously you need another SKS (and one for yourself...and in case SHTF, or in case it's Friday today, you'll need one for the wife too). Problem(s) solved...you're welcome  :)

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 06:55:30 PM »

Two boys, well obviously you need another SKS (and one for yourself...and in case SHTF, or in case it's Friday today, you'll need one for the wife too). Problem(s) solved...you're welcome  :)

And for when you need a little more range, i suggest 4x Mosin Nagant, just to be on the safe side.

Welcome. :)

Offline DazedandConfuzed

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I will post some pics, but I'll wait just a little while. I have a deal in the works for another Yugo and a WASR to boot. This Yugo 59/66 appears have numbers in the appropriate places and most match. I did notice the magazine # did not. Also comes with a qual book, mag bags, and oil can.  clap1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »
You need your own sks after the boys get theirs! 

Welcome

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 09:35:24 AM »
Hey Robert Plant.. : )  Welcome. Im near Sacramento. Don't worry, these guys here don't mess with us from the west too bad here : )  M59's are common to have not so many numbers that match. The Bosnia marking is interesting though. IMO Ill bet you did pretty good as the M59 is a bullet proof accurate shooter sks ! I wouldn't worry too much about numbers as much as I would the inside of the barrel for corrosion as all M59s don't have a chrome lined bbl and if not cleaned the corrosion will eat or frost the bbl.. Check it out .. Post up pics of that bad boy.. And you better listen to the wife while she's on the side of getting another one : ) 

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »
Welcome to the Files from Montana!

Also...welcome to your new addiction, as the tattoo shops care sheet usually says. :)

Totally run with your wife's acceptance as long as it lasts...it will run out. TRUST me.

I have yet to get an M59...but there is one in a dusty shop corner, and a difficult to reach shop due to turrible infrastructure...if it is there some time I am liquid, it is going to be number 13 for me. As long as I have had SKSs, that is a low number.  cry1

It might be a little more difficult in Kalifornia, I visited there recently and was slack jawed seeing an identical, but crappier version of my already crappy shotgun for nearly five bills.  Gladly, sort of, I didn't see any SKSs...a few miles north in Oregon I saw only one...$400 for a 100 percent non matching Chinese....in a plastic stock.

Suggestion...this M59 is for one of the boys, so obviously you will need one more there....but, the one after that is for your wife....that kind of drags out the acceptance a little longer.  It helps if she finds them too heavy....then you can get a paratrooper...for her of course.  Somewhere along the line of that...you might accumulate a couple extras for yourself.  chuckles1

You might find that your wife finds loading stripper clips to be relaxing....I just wish I didn't wait 15 years before letting mine....now she hounds me about getting more ammo.  :o

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 08:43:50 PM »
Ha ha ha ha ha Great theory JH crack me up !!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 08:53:35 PM »
I completely gave up stripper clips after finding out about the flip-throw-close feature.   :)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 09:32:02 PM »
I completely gave up stripper clips after finding out about the flip-throw-close feature.   :)

Dude, that is like cheating yourself out of the experience of the crank when you learn how to push start your Model T  Besplode

I saw that video, and as much as I respect the guy...I can't bring myself to do it like that. Aren't there sometimes issues doing it that way too?  I seem to recall people trying that and having feeding issues...dunno, I am too invested in stripper clips....although, I could sell them off and get another gun at todays prices on the good ones. 

Perhaps a short vid showing your process....this place kinda needs a YouTube channel. Before the competition gets bifocals and can read the manual to their camera. :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 08:26:36 AM »
Laff....   Seems to work just fine for me.  I just toss em in thar facing the right direction and close it up.  The follower stagers them correctly etc when closed.  I only toss about 5 or 7 in at a time.  Haven't tried it with 10.

Offline DazedandConfuzed

• Newber
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 01:23:52 AM »
Hey fellas, I said I would get you some pics, so here you go. First photo includes an M1 Garand from my father's estate. A restoration project for later. The first SKS is the most recent purchase. Both appear to be in good shape, now we need to find out how they operate! 

websites for upload images

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 10:00:54 AM »
Ahh a G10 and CA 'legal' modified M59/66 (neither is technically an M59 despite what Wideners or AIM surplus advertised them as).  The G10 is a beauty!  Thanks for the pics!  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 10:03:05 AM »
Are there no threads on the 59/66?  Cant you get the oversized tapco GL look-alike thats oversized slightly?

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »
Grenade launcher is a prohibited destructive device in CA.  Can't even own one that's not even mounted on a firearm there is my understanding. 

They do have mock GLs/flash hiders that can cover the threads and look more like a traditional M59/66.  dntknw1

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:14:14 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 01:14:26 PM »
Grenade launcher is a prohibited destructive device in CA.  Can't even own one that's not even mounted on a firearm there is my understanding. 

They do have mock GLs/flash hiders that can cover the threads and look more like a traditional M59/66.  dntknw1

Tapco makes a GL look-alike for the sks that has a larger diameter and is legal. 

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 01:24:14 PM »
Laugh, I didn't comprehend what you wrote earlier!  I read "grenade launcher" and missed the lookalike part.  hunter)