Author Topic: Canadian SKS 'D'  (Read 8644 times)

Offline jpeppers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Re: Canadian SKS 'D'
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 09:12:52 PM »
The mount fits well, and the latch slides in fine. Locking the latch or unlocking it requires a bit of force. I had the same experience with a Russian SKS that came with an aftermarket cover, but the original one was also included in the sale. The latch locked and unlocked much easier on the original cover.

I agree about the construction. It's also why I originally thought (and hoped) the mount might be separate from the cover and that the rifle retained its original serialized cover. For the price, I can't really complain. I'll grab an unserialized cover to replace the aftermarket one at some point.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 08:04:28 AM »
In the absence of a plentiful supply of blank covers, a Yugo cover might suffice, they are lightly stamped, sometimes only electropenciled...and are easy to scrub and reblue into blanks. :)

Offline jpeppers

• Newber
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 07:03:46 PM »
I think I may give that a go. Could you recommend a method and/or product for rebluing at home? I have never tried it before.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 11:41:07 AM »
I am a big fan of Casey's Super Blue...it gives me great results.  Especially if you don't follow the instructions and do the final rinse with water to stop the reaction...I usually do two passes, the first you rinse with water, then a second dose for a little extra darkening for uniformity, then to stop the reaction I use Rem Oil.  Having an air compressor is very helpful...but with a receiver cover, it should be pretty easy to get dry even without one.

Also, it helps if you heat the part up with a hair dryer before starting.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 10:05:45 AM »
You don't want it too hot.  Too hot and it will just vaporize right off the metal.  Running hot water over the part gets it warm enough. Also I cannot stress this enough...... degrease degrease degrease...... don't even touch it with bare hands after degreasing.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jpeppers

• Newber
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 10:36:23 PM »
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to have a Yugo cover coming my way, so I'll definitely give this a shot as time allows.

Also, I hope this won't be considered sacrilegious, but has anyone tried force matching covers? This isn't for the sake of increasing the resale value, and should I ever decide to sell the rifle I would reveal that the cover isn't original. I'm just anal about trying to keep things as close to original as possible. I figure getting the cover engraved would be the easiest approach, but I believe they were stamped with the serial numbers originally?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 11:00:31 PM »
Also, I hope this won't be considered sacrilegious, but has anyone tried force matching covers? This isn't for the sake of increasing the resale value, and should I ever decide to sell the rifle I would reveal that the cover isn't original. I'm just anal about trying to keep things as close to original as possible. I figure getting the cover engraved would be the easiest approach, but I believe they were stamped with the serial numbers originally?

Sacrilegious and then some, this is where anal ranks up there with faking and even lying to some. Like people having to have the all perfect correct Garand, M1 Carbine or another at one time mix master, because when it came from re-arsenal, it was mismatched.

Just my opinion..... I have numerous mismatched arsenal refurbed, rebuilt, even unbubba'ed weapons, numbers don't make it shoot any better, just find an original cover or an un-numbered and enjoy it for what it is. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 01:24:25 AM »
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to have a Yugo cover coming my way, so I'll definitely give this a shot as time allows.

Yes, the bolt cover was stamped with the serial number. The Beta Arms imports were stamped with the last 5 digits of the SN. (On the bolt, bolt carrier, bolt cover, and the trigger group.) Power Surge may be able to list how exactly the SN's are stamped on the China Sports and DIG imported SKS-30's. (And, which parts are stamped. They should be the same parts, but I cannot give you an absolute answer because I don't own those imports.) The stock is not stamped.

Welome to the Files, jpeppers! Interesting specimen that you have posted here!

What is the member answering your post over on SKSboards referring to by saying that all the early "D"s were screwed barrels? I've seen only pinned barrels for all the "D"/SKS-30 rifles. Have there been any threaded barrel SKS-30's found?

firstchoice

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 10:57:00 AM »

Sacrilegious and then some, this is where anal ranks up there with faking and even lying to some. Like people having to have the all perfect correct Garand, M1 Carbine or another at one time mix master, because when it came from re-arsenal, it was mismatched.

Just my opinion..... I have numerous mismatched arsenal refurbed, rebuilt, even unbubba'ed weapons, numbers don't make it shoot any better, just find an original cover or an un-numbered and enjoy it for what it is. thumb1

+100.  I would be very wary of recreating authenticity for whatever reason; that's a slippery slope that most collectors simply will not knowingly touch with a 10' pole...

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 11:04:53 AM »
  What is the member answering your post over on SKSboards referring to by saying that all the early "D"s were screwed barrels? I've seen only pinned barrels for all the "D"/SKS-30 rifles. Have there been any threaded barrel SKS-30's found?

firstchoice

You know as well as I do that LG is spouting off to show his superior 30 years of insider knowledge because he was there back in the day...They are, after all, all D's or M's only and Norinco is not a manufacturer!  ireful1

I wonder if he realizes that the "Norinco" text is found only in the later (like post '88) stamps, so calling this gun an early "D" just because of the import stamp appears pretty ignorant on his part.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 11:52:23 AM »
I wonder if he realizes that the "Norinco" text is found only in the later (like post '88) stamps, so calling this gun an early "D" just because of the import stamp appears pretty ignorant on his part.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jpeppers

• Newber
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2018, 10:10:02 PM »
Another one surfaced, but this one has an importer marking.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/771737588

Mine has a serial number that's below this, and the other one that was posted in this thread had a serial number higher than this and neither one has importer markings.