Author Topic: M44 Polish Flame Thrower  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
M44 Polish Flame Thrower
« on: March 15, 2020, 02:20:12 PM »
    While out prepping for Armageddon yesterday, I stopped in at a LGS I hardly ever visit looking for SKS's.  He had a Yugo with a duck bill, an all matching /636\ without bayonet for 450.00, then this caught my eye.  Polish Radom factory (11) half matching M44.  While I keep passing the M44's and an M38 up due to price, this one said "take me home".  The price tag was 200.00, so I asked if it could be 200.00 out the door.  Surprisingly, he agreed and it followed me home.  Why I got it, I dont know, but I did. 
    The bolt and magazine/trigger housing dont match, but the barrel, receiver and stock do.  The bore had some rusting on the lands and not the grooves, which was odd, but a brushing took that off.  Can't wait to fire it at night fart1 :)).

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: M44 Polish Flame Thrower
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 02:27:40 PM »
Nice. I latched onto a sportered one of those many years ago so ended up further modifying it. The FSB/Bayonet tang had been ground down to a minimum so I threaded the muzzle and stuck a break on it. Worked well for reduced 'felt recoil', but the discharge volume and muzzle flash were multiplied tremendously. It was great fun to shoot at dusk at the range. Between the noise and the flame it got a lot of attention. Made for a great conversation piece, LOL.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 02:54:26 PM »
Nice.. thumb1 drool2..uhmmmm Mosin.  I have 2 Romanian M44s, 2 Chinese Type 53 copys, 4 Russian M44s.. and the Polish .22 trainer..  Find some Albanian surplus x54r for the bestest fireballs. chuckles1   I had one out once and the guy shooting the 300 Win Mag even said, dayem that thing is loud. rofl rofl2
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:14:39 PM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »
Good deal and a good price!   thumb1  I got a Chinese T53 a few years ago all matching except for the butt plate.  I like it! 

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 06:07:01 PM »
I've heard that they're more accurate with the bayonet extended.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 08:15:50 PM »
All I've heard from a friend was to leave the bayonet on.  Something to do with harmonics.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 10:39:08 AM »
The difference in the deployed and folded bayonet will affect the POI. Sometimes by as much as a few inches at 100yds. I usually try it both ways and then just adjust the sights to folded position, I'm not cooking a kabob or anything.  :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 11:06:29 AM »
Hey, that's an idea!!! Kabob all of what you want cooked on the bayonet, fire off a magazine, food cooked!!!  With spices added!!!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 11:21:17 AM »
Hey, that's an idea!!! Kabob all of what you want cooked on the bayonet, fire off a magazine, food cooked!!!  With spices added!!!

It will be seared on one side and raw on the other. You'd have to rotate the food after the first 2 rounds, lol.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 03:22:43 PM »
Wow, great price, congratulations! The Polish Wz 44 carbines are beautiful!

I already have a 1953 minty version but just 3 weeks ago I had a similar experience to you. I found a 1953 mixmaster Pole at my LGS, $35 more than yours with WA sales tax included, and I thought that was too good to pass up. It has bluing that is very worn above the wood and rests in a Yugoslavian stock.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 11:09:51 PM »

Brilliant!

Now I know is meant by the term "BBQ gun".
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline GuitarmanNick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • Live each day as if it was your last!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 02:06:33 PM »
I've heard that they're more accurate with the bayonet extended.

I did confirm that my Russian M-44 prefers the bayonet deployed for the tightest groups. With it folded back, the rifle shoots way off to the left and groups are more like patterns. This rifle has had the barrel bedded using cork strips which dramatically improved it's accuracy. Testing was done using surplus ammunition that was "reloaded" to balance the charges and it is the most consistent that I have used thus far.

I do get comments from the range safety officers when I deploy the bayonet. Seems they think I may get the urge to charge the target. Not sure why. I can't even walk without using a cane. LOL

Awesome to shoot near dusk and always gets someone's attention at the range because of the fireball and noise when fired.

Hoping things open back up soon so I can do some load development for it this year.