Author Topic: How do you store your ammo  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Rvulcan500

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
How do you store your ammo
« on: March 14, 2021, 12:47:58 AM »
How do you store your ammo.
I have a basement that stays between 50 - 60
Degrees all year.  My wife and I built a shelving
Shelving unit with doors and a lock that holds
45 50cal cans and 5 30cal cans all with desiccant. 
Is there anything else I should do?
Thanks
Ric

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
Re: How do you store your ammo
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 10:07:07 AM »
sounds good Ric. --------->wife sounds like a keeper.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 10:38:56 AM »
Sounds like you have quite a bit on hand.
The only thing I could suggest is putting in inventory sheets in the top of each box....listing the amount, date of purchase (and date of manufacture if available for surplus) and the price per round.

That makes it easier to rotate stock.  These are things I wish I had started doing years ago....I still have some Wolf I bought on 9-11-01 lingering around in bandoleers and magazines.  Keeping that stuff though, brings down my average price per round since it was 9 cents per round vs. 25-30 cents per round today. (at least 'normal' days)

I also save every desiccant pack I get from jerkey or medication and toss them in to random boxes. Humidity an temperature really aren't much to worry about in Montana though.

I recently started converting dollars into silver, I am trying to do similar things each time I invest. Price per 'round', premium paid...etc. It is a very similar situation... boxes of various types, amounts, and prices that you need to keep track of.  Things that, should you ever need to sell (or shoot) you know whether you are screwing yourself over or not. :)

Online 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 01:32:43 PM »
30 & 50 cal cans in a safe. I cut 3/4 plywood for shelves, cut supports to keep the shelves from sagging under the weight. I have 4 rows in the safe that hold 6 cans each. Above that are 4 more of the factory shelves that hold the rest of the "assorted parts".Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 03:21:25 PM »
I use yellow 2 inch wide tape on my ammo cans. The side and top each get a 2 inch strip. The top has the caliber and round count. The  short side opposite the latch gets a number. The number is listed in a small pocket size notebook with the caliber and round count.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Online 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 04:00:17 PM »
I use yellow 2 inch wide tape on my ammo cans. The side and top each get a 2 inch strip. The top has the caliber and round count. The  short side opposite the latch gets a number. The number is listed in a small pocket size notebook with the caliber and round count.
I did put white labels with the caliber listed. Did not do round count.
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 04:26:28 PM »
have a 30 gun safe with just ammo stuffed in it , in cans
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 05:44:00 PM »
I feel inadequate reading this thread. Justin puts me to shame! 

I have 80% of my ammo stored in the original box with the original vacuum pack plastic intact. Sometimes I’ll write the caliber, brand, and bullet weight in shape on the side, but often no, just a cardboard box. All these 1000 round factory boxes (plus all my tools and whatnot) are stacked on surplus shelving i bought for a song from a shutting down Homebase store back in the late 90’s. I think I’m allowed 2k lb per shelf which I’m probably embarrassingly close to on certain shelves.
All the open boxes get varying treatment. Some are put on strippers in grab n go 100 round EG grenade pouches, others get relegated to misc. boxes with other flavors. These ones I do thankfully have marked on the outside exactly what I’ve got.  Other small qty. misc. or high quality ammo is in a gun cabinet in the corner of the garage too.
All the created surplus ammo I’ve got like my m67 is stacked in the crawl space under the house. Always nice and cool down there but doesn’t freeze in the winter which is nice. Properly not the most secure way to do it though, I may have to rethink that one.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 09:17:51 PM »
30 & 50 cal cans in a safe. I cut 3/4 plywood for shelves, cut supports to keep the shelves from sagging under the weight. I have 4 rows in the safe that hold 6 cans each. Above that are 4 more of the factory shelves that hold the rest of the "assorted parts".Marcus
i just took the shelves out of my safe and stack the cans on top of one another

There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 10:01:16 PM »
I too keep much of it in the original shipping boxes, crates, cases, or tins. Also there's both sizes (30 & 50) of cans with loose and boxed ammo, and many that I got with ammo loose in cans (when it was around). Some have vacuum sealed bags. My only safe if full of ammo cans. All are labeled by caliber not quantity. I did score on some pre-panic .45 & 9MM (1K each) last week, and my buddy threw in a little .22 and X39 with it.

hoop, I've got 2 GEW88s (Styer & Danzig) & a Turk 05/35.  Prolly the smoothest bolt guns ever. PAX   
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Rvulcan500

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 11:51:44 PM »
I stencil my cans to make it easier and then
I put a yellow post it on the calibers that aren't
Normal that I carry.  I'm kicking my self in the ass
Because I sold all of my 7.62x39 ammo
After I sold my ak47.  Because I thought I would never have that caliber again.. But I  manage to scrounge up 110 rounds of hp and fmj mix
I will take a picture tomorrow of my ammo case
Warning there are alot of empty cans

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 04:48:55 AM »
I keep a crusty 22lr hidden under the fridge and a single 38spl rolling around in a drawer somewhere... think1

Anything else found in the residence is pretty much plausible deniability. The tins, crates, pallets and cans belong to the other guy I've known since day one.   didnt do

Best place to ....borrow desiccant packs... Get ya a honey at a sports store...... like DICK's, sweet talk her into borrowing all the packs from the shoe boxes.. just charm with your overwhelming concern for the environment... your just recycling.  ;)   rofl2

Don't quite understand the methodology in counting but, it's what ever.. I just count the poor little now dead lifeless casings on the ground, it's less counting. I've have never ever heard an ammo "W"horder say.... "Yup, that's enough".... or "I have plenty and I'm happy". When the concrete floor cracks or the house ends up in the basement.... you bought 1 round too much, thats enough then.  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 06:15:48 AM »
^ This  rofl Our very own GM for the win

Actually, I have more than two rounds and closer to a lifetime of ammo in a few calibers, and a comfortable amount in all of the others, but I’m not a match shooter that goes through 5000 rounds a year.

It’s stored in a locked room, a locked closet, and a couple of other places. In original spam cans and crates, or in surplus 40mm and 50 cal ammo cans. A few crates of modern still in the cardboard. Humidity isn’t a problem here in the inland desert.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 06:51:40 AM »
I too keep much of it in the original shipping boxes, crates, cases, or tins. Also there's both sizes (30 & 50) of cans with loose and boxed ammo, and many that I got with ammo loose in cans (when it was around). Some have vacuum sealed bags. My only safe if full of ammo cans. All are labeled by caliber not quantity. I did score on some pre-panic .45 & 9MM (1K each) last week, and my buddy threw in a little .22 and X39 with it.

hoop, I've got 2 GEW88s (Styer & Danzig) & a Turk 05/35.  Prolly the smoothest bolt guns ever. PAX
i use to have about 200 of them , im down to about 50 ,lol , i have a picture of them somewhere , i will find it , one of those two has battle damage , took a round right to the barrel and rear band

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:16:41 AM by hoopharted »

Offline Rvulcan500

• Newber
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 04:23:08 PM »
Here is a picture of my ammo rack

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 10:13:52 PM by Rvulcan500 »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 05:46:51 PM »
Here is a picture of my ammo rack

I NEED THIS  thumb1

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 08:34:04 PM »
yea , he makes me look like a slob

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 09:40:18 PM »
I write on the top and the front rim of the ammo can with a sharpie what is in it and quantity.  Quantity or contents change, steel wool (and sometimes alcohol)  takes it off.  Mine are on the wire shelves you see from Lowes or HD rated at 350lbs per shelf.  Several of the 4 shelf units.  As the joke goes, "what do you call a Californian with a 1000 rounds of ammo? A potential right wing terrorist.  What do you call a Southerner with 1000 rounds?  Poor.  With 10,000 rounds? Off to a good start." :))

Offline Rvulcan500

• Newber
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 09:54:11 PM »
It love it.  Im a northerners off to a good start then.
The only ammo I really don't keep track of is my .22lr.  I'm very bad at that.  I think I have 3 550rd boxes of golden bullet left.  Everything else I know what is in each can.  It is part of my ocd issue.
To make matters worse once a year I paint the cans with od paint  and stencil or restencil the can in white.  There is not alot to do here in Vermont in the winter.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 11:27:35 PM »
RV500, What’s in the red can?

I guess I’m about “off to a good start”, times two. Nope I don’t have a precise round count.