Author Topic: Chinese Copper Washes Ammo?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline JorgeSKS

• Live free or die trying!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Chinese Copper Washes Ammo?
« on: January 02, 2021, 11:01:28 PM »
A few questions here on Chinese copper washed ammunition...?

1. Is it corrosive?
2. What is a sealed tin worth?
3. How many rounds in a tin?
I have a friend that is interested in sell/giving it away.  I would like to give him fair market value (pre-COVID) for it.  He has 3 tins of it, 2 sealed and 1 opened.

Thanks fellows.  All the best in 2021! Appreciate the input.

-Jorge

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Chinese Copper Washes Ammo?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 11:20:23 PM »
Is this packed loose on stripper clips or in boxes? If in boxes it usually says on the box. If it is old Viet Nam era ammo then it is corrosive. If it is newer "commercial import" then it is possibly non-corrosive. Pics would help if you can get them. As to value, depending on what exactly it is, it could have collector value even beyond current prices. On standard TULA etc. pre-panic pricing was about $0.25/rnd or $5/20rnd box. Just saw the same stuff "on sale" today for $369.99 + shipping for 1k rounds so that's $0.38-$0.40/rnd or $7.60-$8/20rnd box. It goes up from there. I've seen collectors pay $2/rnd for some Nam era ammo just to have the sample box in there collection.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline JorgeSKS

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 11:45:48 PM »
Here is a picture of one of the tins. You are able to read some of the faint markings, 10/77-35 and 38-78-31.  It’s not on stripper clips.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 12:10:26 AM »
Here is a picture of one of the tins. You are able to read some of the faint markings, 10/77-35 and 38-78-31.  It’s not on stripper clips.

Post war Oct. 1977 Production. 35 may be lot number, 38-78-31 may be factory location info. 31 is a factory where a lot of stripper clips came out of we know that. Most likely both corrosive and collectible.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline JorgeSKS

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 05:04:01 PM »
Thanks for the information. Any idea on a good asking price? How many rounds per tin? Thanks.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 05:12:28 PM »
Thanks for the information. Any idea on a good asking price? How many rounds per tin? Thanks.

They have always been 640-700 per tin on those. Although, I am not as familiar with the old stuff as the newer. As to offer price, I revert back to my previous post on pre-pandemic prices per round.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 10:47:04 PM »
I'd help relieve you of a couple hundred rounds when you get it.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline BP4W

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 12:23:21 AM »

10/77-35: Gunpowder Lot #10, 1977, Factory #35

38-78-31: Ammunition Lot #38, 1978, Factory #31