Author Topic: Weekend project: reloading bench  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Weekend project: reloading bench
« on: November 16, 2014, 08:28:50 PM »
Since it's unseasonably cool here with lows in the teens and highs in the upper 20's to low 30's (which is even colder than our typical January day), I didn't spend my customary 4-6 hours on a bicycle, and instead used that time building a bench for my recently acquired vintage RCBS Rockchucker press.  Not much to say other than that.  If I was a great metal worker and had the tools I'd like to have a rock solid metal bench, but since I just have rudimentary wood working tools I built it out of 2x6's  :))  My wife was kind enough to let me have it inside in the laundry room so it needed to be a little spiffier than simple unfinished wood.  A bit of Kilz followed by Glidden "egg shell" paint, some Minwax Oak stain and tung oil for the horizontal surfaces and it's done. I have the low "shelf" spanning the rear legs in case I decide I need to add some counter-weights, such as cinder blocks (or cases of ammo).

Yada, yada, yada ...

6x3" lag bolts with washers to make sure that front 2x6 doesn't get pulled off with the press. I deprimed a few cases and so far so good...

Offline Adam7

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
Re: Weekend project: reloading bench
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
Looks really good!  How sturdy are the front two legs?  I notice they don't have a brace of any sort.  I'm guessing if you tried to move it it would flop all over or no?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »
Looks really good!  How sturdy are the front two legs?  I notice they don't have a brace of any sort.  I'm guessing if you tried to move it it would flop all over or no?
Thanks!

Surprisingly, the front legs aren't bad but I may add a cross piece and possibly tie them into the rear legs at the bottom too.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 10:37:18 PM »
I always get a kick out of seeing people's loading stations. That cat box would be extricated with the quickness if that was my gun space  sick1

Nice work. Now get those presses cranking. What are you planning on loading? You taking orders? Sign me up for some x50Japanese.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 10:42:30 PM »
I found that you dont have to man-handle the living crap out of the press if you actually lube your casings.   thumb1

Looks graeat phos32.....  love it!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 12:15:06 AM »
Well at least I can blame it on the cats  fart1  chuckles1 ...and it beats freezing out in the garage at my main work bench

Dies for .30-06 came with the press, along with most of what I need to get going.  I picked up some Swedish dies on ebay, and also got a die set for 7.7 Japanese with a recent Type 99 purchase.  Long story short, no 6.5x50 Japanese.  I thought I'd start with some loads for my 03-A3, since all that I have in .30-06 is HXP M2 ball. We'll see how it likes driving 168gr Sierra Matchking HPBT's.

Good advice LC, I discovered the value of case lube after hurriedly pushing primers out of a few Swedish cases  :o Definitely easier with the lube  :)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 01:05:31 AM »
Nice neat looking table Phosphorus, better looking than mine since I haven't painted it. I put a cross piece between each of the legs on the ends of the table then ran a 2x6 down the length of the table on top of them. I used 4x4's for the legs so there is plenty weight below the press, the table doesn't move even when I resize full length rifle cases.

And yeah, case lube is always a good thing to use. I stuck a .30-'06 case in a set of dies years ago....you don't want to go there!!

My '03-A3 loved those 168 gr Matchkings.

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 11:03:24 AM »
Good goin guy.  I'd agree though on the leg braces.  In particular, it's nice to have one on the front at a height that's handy to put a foot on when you're seating primers with the up-stroke.  jd
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 02:00:52 PM »
A few refinements.  Added the front leg brace and backstops to the table top and lower shelf. Put the brace low since I could see myself barking my shins on a regular basis if I mounted it higher  :)) 

I'm not sure where I want to mount the powder measure. I was thinking rear left but this is all new to me and I don't have my ergonomics set yet...ergonomics, dang, I've been at a safety obsessed national lab too long  ???  :)) Well, safety first is a good mindset to have with this activity...Anyhow, I'm open to opinions on the powder measure etc.

Reloading paraphernalia

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 06:21:20 PM »
Phosphorus if I may offer another suggestion, I mounted my powder measure on a short section of 2x6 then you can move it around to wherever you feel most comfortable. You'll get a sense of the "flow" of things in a day or two!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 07:59:42 PM »
Phosphorus if I may offer another suggestion, I mounted my powder measure on a short section of 2x6 then you can move it around to wherever you feel most comfortable. You'll get a sense of the "flow" of things in a day or two!
That sounds like an excellent suggestion  thumb1 Thank you!  :)