AK and AR > AR Family

Colt AR-15

(1/6) > >>

Phosphorus32:
AR area has been quiet for a while, so here's a 1980 Colt Model SP1 AR-15 that I picked up a while back at the LGS. I like the retro look of the SP1, like the A1 style carry handle and sights, triangular handguard, classic three-prong flash hider, and of course the fact that they were made by Colt. There are some obvious (besides no giggle switch), and some subtle differences from an M16-A1, but these are obviously easier and far, far cheaper to acquire than an actual M16.

Colt made this model from 1963-82. You'll often see them advertised as "pre-ban", which of course is marketing gimmickry that is stating the obvious, since they were all made before the 1994-2004 Federal AWB. Basically, it means they have a lug for the M7 bayonet, which is a nice feature. The early ones (serial number: SP16xxx or earlier) are already Curio and Relic eligible.

1:12 twist chrome-lined barrel is good for M193 55gr or less bullets. The bipod is a reproduction (no markings) although the bipod case is military. The M7 bayonet is real.

running-man:
I’m not a big AR guy, but having said that, if I were to get one, it would pretty much be this one.

What do these typically run vs a run of the mill new production AR Jon?

Phosphorus32:

--- Quote from: running-man on June 23, 2021, 11:44:25 PM ---I’m not a big AR guy, but having said that, if I were to get one, it would pretty much be this one.

What do these typically run vs a run of the mill new production AR Jon?

--- End quote ---

Too much. They've become collectible too. I paid $1940 about 7 weeks ago and was very pleased to get it for that price. I saw it the day they put it out on the rack behind the counter. I went out in the parking lot to look up sold prices on Gunbroker, then I went back in with my checkbook  rofl I doubt it would have lasted many more hours, let alone the day. I live in an AR town.

I like ARs but my others are tools. Granted, they're very effective tools for hitting small points at intermediate distances, but they don't have the history euphoria to go along with the shooting effectiveness. This one has some of that history I like, as well as the shootability, and I've wanted a retro one for quite some time, so I'm glad to have it.

Greasemonkey:
Yeah, I'm... Gonna agree with RM.. cough. Uhm.  Yeah.  :o  I love the retro classic utilitarian looks  thumb1 always wanted one like that, but even the true blue retro kits cost pretty much what a low end piece of tupperware costs.

carls sks:
on my want list, but probably will not be able to afford. have had to settle (a few years ago)for PSA at 1/4 the price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version