Author Topic: HEAT GUN  (Read 982 times)

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
HEAT GUN
« on: May 30, 2020, 04:23:46 PM »
just ordered a cheap one (heat-gun) to try on recent Chinese  sks i got ( i know about putting in black bag wrapped in paper towels out in the sun). anyone used a heat gun on the stock? i used mineral spirits and it did pretty good job. thanks for any tips when it comes.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
Re: HEAT GUN
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 10:27:40 AM »
anyone use one ?
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 02:30:23 PM »
This last time, I did use one....SO MUCH cosmoline....and my stock was likely an oil finish rather than shellac, as I didn't find a hint of it anywhere.....oddly, the buttstock was nearly totally dry...and the grain was raised and hairy....but the rest of the stock was absolutely oozing the stuff out.   

I found that getting it just to the point of boiling the cosmo, that it helped bubble out the filth....but you have to wipe fast, it's like you need a third hand. You have to be careful not to scorch the wood though. If your stock has shellac, it might not be a good idea to get it that hot though...as it might just flake it off.   

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 09:04:51 AM »
I have. I hang the receiver from the rafters or the stock, so they are vertical, and put a large cardboard box underneath and keep the heat gun moving constantly. The metal gets warm enough that the cosmoline melts and/ or drips and I wipe it off as it lessens. The stock I try to get warm then I wipe and repeat. I have never had a problem. Stock is the part you need to be careful with, obviously.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 03:58:54 PM »
got the heat-gun the other day and took is for a ride. used it on the stock and have to say it worked great. not a lot of weeping (mineral spirits on first cleaning did its job). just used low setting and went slow because i was not sure if it would hurt the finish. happy camper.  dance2
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!