Poll

What do I do with it???

Restore it and keep it knowing it is not all original?
3 (50%)
Restore it and sell it?
2 (33.3%)
Sell it as is?
1 (16.7%)
Bubbafy it?
0 (0%)
Part it out?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: IO Import 5 digit type 56 project  (Read 6907 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
IO Import 5 digit type 56 project
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »
Okay, here's the story. I took in a 5 digit type 56 IO import in a trade for a new entry level AR I had put together to sell. Right now I am into this SKS for about $180-$200.
The SKS came in an M59/66 stock which was missing the cleaning kit butt stock spring, but otherwise in good condition. That stock went onto my Yugo project so if you want to see it you can check my other thread in this section.
So, what remains is a complete action that, once I get the rest of the little parts from the guy, will be missing the bayonet(blade only, I will have the collar, screw, and spring), stock, and sling. What is there is matching numbers.

It has a fair amount of pitting which doesn't really bother me except in the gas tube area on the ferrules and the mag. Also, the front edge of the piston is corroded, but the tolerances are good in the tube.
It did have an issue with the flat spring under the rear sight leaf, but I had a replacement laying around and already fixed that.
The 2 other issues that are more critical are;
1. The guy had a box of Tula with soft primers and popped 3 in a row before setting that box aside. So, I need to check the firing pin and bolt to see if any repair is needed.
2. The major issue, the trigger has real bad negative engagement and will need to go to Kivaari or Murray for repair. Unsafe to shoot IMO at this time.

So, do the poll and tell me what you would do. Just for the fun of it.  thumb1
Here are pics.

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
Re: IO Import 5 digit type 56 project
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 03:59:32 PM »
Well, I made some decisions and the vote is in. Kind of anyway. I have decided to restore this one. I picked up a refinished(nice brown with a hint of red in it) spike bayonet Chinese stock with all hardware and HG for $39.95 shipped off of Ebay. The guy I got it from came through with the rest of the small parts last night so I will pick up a spike bayo for it.
As for the problems it has(d); I had already fixed the rear sight flat spring issue, now have a stock coming, so I decided to look closer at the FCG. Upon closer inspection I determined all it needed to be safe to shoot was a good honing on the sear. So I pulled it out got the angle honed back into it and now have a nice neutral to slightly positive engagement to it. Only thing I have left to do is double check the firing pin and bolt from the popped primers.

Kivaari would be proud, lol.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 04:08:48 PM »
Thats a first year (true sino) 1956 "ghost" and requires a blade bayo and blade cut stock with bottom swivel..  Do it right!   :P

Its really not in very bad shape compared to many many I have seen in the IO batch etc.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 04:48:46 PM »
Yeah, I knew it was supposed to have the blade cut stock and bayonet, I just couldn't find any I liked at a decent price or that had the HG with it. That was part of my reason behind the thread on what to do with it. The dark finish on the stock I got struck my fancy and I'll put a black Alby spike on it for grins and giggles(thus the other thread last night). If I end up keeping it I can look for a blade replacement stock and bayo down the road.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 05:33:45 PM »
Theeeeen.....    your going with option #4 Bubbafy it?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 05:55:20 PM »
Theeeeen.....    your going with option #4 Bubbafy it?

Okay, yeah you got me. BUT, I'm doing it in a new and unusual way.....for me that is, LOL.

It will look nice I promise.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
BUBBA the crap out of it. Add a G9 and a "M" stock, a scope rail to the bolt cover, remove the take down pin and replace with a button head, mill the bolt. You will NOT be disappointed. Ask me how I know this? Oh yeah, I've done this so many times I can't count the total. Of course, this comes from a guy who makes his living from "bubba-fy-ing' the SKS platform.

Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 08:03:26 PM »
Or that.    thumb1

I read the words 'original' and thought it would mean blade bayo etc. Option 4 works also.  :)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 06:29:33 PM »
I did get time to take a look at the bolt and firing pin today. Lit up and inspected the inside of the bolt and it looks fine as well as the bolt face. Put the firing pin under a magnifying glass and the front tip was slightly mushroomed and uneven. Cleaned and trued up the tip and put it all back together. Everything looks real good and no longer hangs up when rattling the pin like it was.

Going out to Los Angeles this week for 8 days so when I get back my stock and bayonet will be waiting for me. I will finish putting it together and head to the range for a good test fire. Will be taking the Yugo project I have as well to see if I bent the barrel enough or if a little more tweaking will be in order.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:42:44 PM by Greatguns »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 12:11:47 PM »
Kewl...    let us know how they both run.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 12:45:45 PM »
Will do. I'll post a range report for each one in their respective threads.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 04:04:22 PM »
Well, made it back home from Los Angeles in one piece. Went and picked up my mail which had my stock and bayonet waiting for me. Naturally as soon as I could I got it installed soooooo, here's a pic along with a question. Do you think I should go with the traditional green sling or Redbird parts on Ebay has black canvas slings that come with the leather tabs and studs.(as opposed to the NCStar ones that have the cheaper screw together buckle things)

I do have a pro and con on the stock.
CON:The guy listed it as 'refinished', but it really just got coated over. Crappy job to say the least.
PRO: Does end up making it more original looking as to condition opposed to color/looks. Also, I don't see any numbers on the side of the stock so either it was sanded off(no sanding marks either) or it is a replacement stock???
Lastly, it is a good tight fit so that is nice as well.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 09:05:15 PM »
Looks good.   :)

There were alot of nos stocks sold without serial numbers from what I understand. 

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
Looks good.   :)

There were alot of nos stocks sold without serial numbers from what I understand.

First SKS I ever had was a Standard '63 /26\ Chinese with a replacement stock on it. It at least had the correct blade bayonet slot to match the rest of the rifle.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 10:55:30 PM »
Greatguns I like the looks of it as is, it's sharp looking in my opinion.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 11:55:56 PM »
Thanks DB, here's a few more pics I took with an added OEM sling. All present, if not quite correct. :))

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 12:25:00 AM »
YEAH... thumb1