Author Topic: Running 30 round ProMag in stock russian sks  (Read 6484 times)

Offline ulsterdale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Running 30 round ProMag in stock russian sks
« on: December 31, 2015, 10:18:06 PM »
Hello im sure this has been asked before, i have just purchased my second sks and have decided to keep it stock minus running 30 round ProMags. Have them seated nice and snugg now, but when i went to test them at the range today they fed rounds just fine but after about 30 rounds the mag would fall out of the bottom of the rifle by the mag release. Im kind lost now and am turning to you as i couldn't find any other info on my problem. Should i try getting a new mag release or is there something else i can do with the mags them selves, or should i just run both my sks stock.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Running 30 round ProMag in stock russian sks
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:24:36 PM »
Do they drop out after all rounds have been fired or is it a partially full mag that is giving you issues?  Could it be something to do with the bolt hold open?  I've got zero experience with aftermarket mags in my SKSs, but I know many here have tried them and will be able to comment on your issues and offer their advice.

Offline ulsterdale

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 02:25:49 PM »
it is doing it with a full mag, first round fires fine then the mag releases, not sure if its dropping when bolt moves to the rear or when it starts traveling forward again.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 02:51:45 PM »
Pay attention to if it's dropping from the front or the rear. Pro mags are a **** to get in properly sometimes, I would bet anything you're not getting the front tongue locked in the tang in the receiver.

You are making sure the bolt it locked back when installing it as well, right?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 03:03:24 PM »
Quite a few people seem too swear by the Tapco 20 rounders.. 

I have no clue really, I usually just over look those posts, thats just the one I see thats talked about alot. :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline ulsterdale

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 03:09:59 PM »
mag is dropping from the rear by the mag release, i am 100% sure that the horn is locking into the front. im thinking the problem is to do with the mag release or the action of the bolt knocking the mag loose, and yes i am loading the mag with the bolt in the open position lol.

Like my IT buddies at work would say have you tried turning it off and back on again lol.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 03:24:15 PM »
mag is dropping from the rear by the mag release, i am 100% sure that the horn is locking into the front. im thinking the problem is to do with the mag release or the action of the bolt knocking the mag loose, and yes i am loading the mag with the bolt in the open position lol.

Like my IT buddies at work would say have you tried turning it off and back on again lol.

LOL...ok just checking.

If it's dropping from the back, then it's a release issue. Are you using the plastic or the metal pro-mag? If it's the metal one, is the latch tang on the back straight? Can you take a side view picture of your mag?

There's only two possibilities if the rear is dropping out. Either 1- the tang is bent upwards, creating a negative engagement angle with the magazine catch, or 2 - the magazine catch spring doesn't have enough tension (broken, missing, weak, full of cosmo, etc)

Offline ulsterdale

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 04:21:27 PM »
hey boss having troubles uploading pics of the mags, wont let me add them to the conversation box.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 04:58:56 PM »
Here's the instructions for uploading photos here: How to post photos