Author Topic: got a question?  (Read 4908 times)

Offline aschatzl

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
got a question?
« on: February 27, 2015, 10:12:06 AM »
If you restore a firearm (tastefully), reblue what was blued before and refinish the stock to original color / shellac. Is that considered an altered it? My 3 mill sks is looking sad to me. It's a mix- match and would make a good project.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: got a question?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 11:00:07 AM »
OK, "my" opinion, like a butthole, everyone has one and some stink thumb1

Refinishing adds no value to "me", and actually if it were for sale I would lowball you on it due to the refinishing. It's the way it came, the way it left, shows it's history. Yea, I'm one of those who like beat to death weapons, and are against this treatment. Personaly if I want a pretty gun, I'll go and buy a pretty gun. To me the fluff and buff ain't gonna do anything to make it function better, or more accurate, it's pure eye candy, so people at the range don't say "what a nasty looking rifle".  I just tell them I don't need beautiful to boost my self esteem about shooting rofl

In the end you bought it, its yours, do what ever you want. Like a pig, you can dress her in heels and a nice dress, but at the end of the night, she's still a pig. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 11:04:46 AM »
In my opinion, yes.  I can safely say that most purist collectors would agree.  Of course it's your rifle so you are free to do what you wish...and most collectors have probably made the same attempt at least once (most didn't like the outcome).  Besides affecting value, refinishing usually just doesn't "look right" to me with the dents, dings, scrapes and other signs of wear lying underneath the new shellac or uneven cold bluing.  Like a facelift on an aging Hollywood babe, I don't end up seeing a restoration, just an indication that someone attempted it  :))

Why don't you post some pics of your 3 million Type 56 and see what people think about it (or a link if you already have).  Perhaps someone will convince you of its beauty...perhaps not...either way I'd like to see it  :)

Offline aschatzl

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 11:25:14 AM »
I know Sometimes you need other peoples opinions. just got up today and had a thought. I know other people have gone down this road and just wanted to know how the felt about it. That why I joined this group.
I would hate to refinish and regret it.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 11:40:53 AM »
Too me, that's a beauty  thumb1.  If i ran across that one sitting next to say a pretty Norinco, I would be more inclined to buy it. Deep down it has dirty little secrets, only it knows and will never tell. I'd rub the stock down a couple of times with lemon oil and enjoy it.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline aschatzl

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 11:43:22 AM »
thanks for setting me straight thumb1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 12:18:09 PM »
I'm falling in step with Greasemonkey and Phosphorus! I think this is a top shelf carbine and wouldn't hesitate to buy it because of the appearance of it. Given that it functions as it's supposed to, it would have a place among my other well worn war guns!

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »
Yup that's a nice looking stock and the metal shows honest wear, aka a "fine patina" (if you use a nice word or phrase it looks even better)  :))

I'd pick that off a rack in a heartbeat  thumb1