Author Topic: 6 digit serial question  (Read 404 times)

Offline kart74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
6 digit serial question
« on: July 24, 2023, 09:23:32 AM »
Hello. I have been researching all over to find out what this is. I recently purchased one that has the 3 symbols then rectangle [0142] and 7202xx serial. There is not much on 0142 and the 6 digit serial is throwing me off. Any help would be great. Thanks

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: 6 digit serial question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 10:35:59 AM »
Welcome to the Files!

Not much is known about [0142] I'm afraid. I only have 2 entries in the database for this factory and the year code format changed in between them.

The first is a 1972 build model with a year '72 prefix just like yours but a hundred or so units older.  S/N is 7201xx, so the same # of digits as yours.  Note that relying on the number of digits, "millions" etc. is extremely outdated.  The "millions" is irrelevant as the Chinese are known to have used 4 all the way through 9 digit numbers in their receiver serial numbering.  They were consistent in their approach, however, and there is a year code or actual condensed year date contained within the receiver S/N of 90% of the Chinese SKS carbines out there.

The second is a year 24 (1979) built carbine again with six digits (2401xx).  The change from using the actual year to the year code (1956 being the first year of production or year 1) was probably made to try and standardize markings across all type 56 factories since from around 1976 or so, the actual year codes are no longer seen on type 56 carbines.   I have never seen a carbine marked with a condensed '77 date or higher date even though we see production at various factories continue all the way through year 29 (1984).

You might post some photos of it and others can give their input or you could enter it into the Chinese survey using the link in my signature.

Again welcome to the boards.  thumb1

Offline kart74

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 11:49:21 AM »
Thank you! Here are a few pics. I am really just trying to see if it is a good one and approximate year/value. Thanks again.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 01:16:37 PM »
Definitely a 1972, like RM said.

It’s cool because it’s from an uncommon arsenal. I only know one person who has tried to collect arsenal variations (over 100), and he’s in the process of selling off his collection. Basically, arsenal scarcity doesn’t add much, if any, value due to low demand in that niche of collecting. It’s as valuable as any Type 56 in good condition.

Yours looks like the stock has been sanded and refinished so a ding. It also looks like the barreled receiver and receiver cover has been painted. The Chinese didn’t do that. Paint can be stripped though. Edit to add: perhaps it’s not paint and just an odd look in the low resolution photo due to spotty preservative grease ???

Basically, you probably have a good shooter as it stands.  thumb1

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 02:10:51 PM »
What P32 said!  declare1

They are all good ones in my opinion!!  (Of course I'm biased) :)

Condition is going to drive the price of this one, not the factory.  To be honest, fit form and function of carbines from many rectangular arsenals leaves something to be desired when compared to the large output triangle arsenals.  In addition to the sanding, I also see a crack repair in your third photo under the takedown lever.  It's not uncommon for well used carbines to get a factory repair after heavy use, but many collectors don't want a really heavily used carbine with a stock such as this in their collection unless it has some other factor that makes it more desirable than your run-of-the-mill SKS (Vietnam bringback or having particular features such as a Chinese laminated stock or a Tula star on the left receiver, etc.)  As a shooter, it's still going to put rounds into a man sized target at 100 yards. thumb1

As-is. I'd say it's going to be right in the middle to low end of your typical Chinese type 56 price range which these days is probably somewhere around $400 to $650.

Offline kart74

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 02:34:14 PM »
Thanks everyone. I paid 400 so hopefully wasn't too bad of a deal. Not looking to flip it but was hoping I didn't get screwed. Lol. Looking forward to shooting it.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 03:14:15 PM »
You came out pretty good if it is clean and a good shooter. If it is numbers matching that is a plus. Welcome to the files BTW.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 06:13:02 PM »
Thanks everyone. I paid 400 so hopefully wasn't too bad of a deal. Not looking to flip it but was hoping I didn't get screwed. Lol. Looking forward to shooting it.

I agree with GG, you didn't do badly at all.  Shoot and enjoy!  thumb1