Author Topic: DB Lushun, redux  (Read 1369 times)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
DB Lushun, redux
« on: May 19, 2022, 03:20:58 PM »
2016: I picked up this DB nearly 6 years ago. It's a Lüshunkou District, aka Lüshun City, aka Port Arthur DB Type 56. It was a mixmaster with basically a barreled action and all associated parts from one rifle, and the rest from another rifle. The stock was in poor condition and sometime after my post I put it into a mismatched wood stock that looked much better, but I still wasn't satisfied.

https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=2745.msg31852#msg31852

2022: I recently won an auction lot consisting of a half dozen SKS stocks, including a fiberglass jungle stock for a pinned barrel action with spike bayonet. It had never been installed on an SKS and required extensive fitting. A handguard came with it but I didn't like the color match so I ordered three from David's Collectibles and requested something in the dark reddish-brown portion of the color wheel. He delivered, as one of the three was a close match.

I like how it turned out. Where I had to trim with a Dremel sanding wheel, hand file, or wood chisel, I touched up afterwards by rubbing in a bit of garnet shellac and that toned down the yellowish-tan raw fiberglass as well as sealing it up. The handguard had some flashing at the vents that I smoothed down to provide a better grip feel and more finished appearance. The mag/trigger well had to be opened up a bit. The flat where the bottom of the receiver rests needed to be filed down, as did the back internal surface where the receiver tang-trigger group retainer rests inside the stock. The bayonet groove had some flashing that needed to be filed down. The seam on the top and bottom of the stock isn't perfectly flush but it's smooth and pleasant to hold, so I left that alone.

I had it out to the range last Friday to put it through it's paces. It's a good workhorse that is accurate and has standard SKS-level precision.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Re: DB Lushun, redux
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 04:33:06 PM »
Nice fitting job, Jon.  Looks good thumb1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 05:20:24 PM »
Really dressed that old work horse up Jon, looks really nice.

I wonder if at some point in time ATF will accept a replacement phenolic Chinese stock as not invalidating C&R status like all plastic stocks do now since they are period correct and look pretty darn nice slick! thumb1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 07:36:01 PM »
Nice fitting job, Jon.  Looks good thumb1

Thanks Bruce!

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 07:37:23 PM »
Really dressed that old work horse up Jon, looks really nice.

I wonder if at some point in time ATF will accept a replacement phenolic Chinese stock as not invalidating C&R status like all plastic stocks do now since they are period correct and look pretty darn nice slick! thumb1

Thanks Joe!

Good question. I would, but I don’t even play an ATF agent on TV  :))

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 09:08:28 PM »
Agreed, nice job and color is damn close and looks good.  thumb1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 10:51:25 PM »
Agreed, nice job and color is damn close and looks good.  thumb1

Thanks Bob! The handguards are definitely hard to match. It was the best of the four I had and it's definitely close enough to not annoy me  rofl

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 11:07:00 PM »
Nice fit! I've tried swapping out a couple of my mismatched, beat up 56's with phenolic stocks. Results were nothing close to yours. Well done!

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 10:37:55 AM »
Nice fit! I've tried swapping out a couple of my mismatched, beat up 56's with phenolic stocks. Results were nothing close to yours. Well done!

Thanks Matchka!

It really took hours, proceeding methodically, relieving a bit at a time until the barreled-action dropped in and fit well all around for all components. That was my experience with both NOS fiberglass stocks that I’ve fit to Type 56s, and the NOS Polish Honor Guard stocks.

The hand guard had to be shortened a few mm, the shoulder for the rear ferrule set back, and the portions that insert into the ferrules shaped too. The hand guards do have a front and back, but that’s really obvious if you try fitting over the gas tube and inserting into the fixed ferrule on the gas tube, on NOS ones especially. Hand guards that don’t require fitting are likely take-offs from old guns.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 10:42:18 AM »
Looks good Jon, HG matches better than the last Russian you posted up, lol.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 04:38:40 PM »
Looks good Jon, HG matches better than the last Russian you posted up, lol.

Thanks Alan! Yeah, I don't mind a color mismatch as much if it came from the Soviets, Chinese, etc. that way  ;) When I have some control over that characteristic, I try to get close  thumb1 :)

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 10:02:50 PM »
That looks great!  I'd be fooled into thinking it was original, since the color is so close.  thumb1

But I'm a bit lost (as usual  :-[) as to the significance of the "DB" part.   ??? 

That is just the factory code, similar to the Chinese arsenal number....?  Or is there much more to it than that?

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 10:34:19 PM »
That looks great!  I'd be fooled into thinking it was original, since the color is so close.  thumb1

But I'm a bit lost (as usual  :-[) as to the significance of the "DB" part.   ??? 

That is just the factory code, similar to the Chinese arsenal number....?  Or is there much more to it than that?

Yes, the DB and DP guns are produced in Dōngběi (the three northeastern Chinese provinces), and the Chinese character designates the city where the arsenal is presumably located. Most of the cities found on these rifles a are shown in the map below. There's also a rather long thread on the topic linked below.

https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=1002.msg61656#msg61656

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:44:41 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline fchaus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 04:12:20 PM »
Great looking rifle. I really like the  deep red color of the Jungle Stock. I have to admit I too was wondering about the significance of the "DB" code. These chinese production codes are such a deep rabbit hole, I barely have my head poked in the entrance. LOL.
Craig H

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 04:37:08 PM »
Great looking rifle. I really like the  deep red color of the Jungle Stock. I have to admit I too was wondering about the significance of the "DB" code. These chinese production codes are such a deep rabbit hole, I barely have my head poked in the entrance. LOL.

Thanks. Yeah with over 100 factory (or production line) codes, there is a lot that remains to be learned.

Offline BMont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2022, 12:54:29 PM »
Splendid...Love it when a nice rifle and a good plan mixed w some good fortune turns into a looker.  Congrats on a cool outcome.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2022, 01:00:04 PM »
Splendid...Love it when a nice rifle and a good plan mixed w some good fortune turns into a looker.  Congrats on a cool outcome.

Thanks!  thumb1