Author Topic: ERMA- early war- a total mutt  (Read 4908 times)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
ERMA- early war- a total mutt
« on: December 09, 2014, 03:53:32 PM »
I offer up this k98 as a refutation to all my friends who call me a milsurp snob who doesn't have or appreciate anything showing hard use or unoriginality.

First, here's why I own it. It's a code 27, "A" letter block early '39 Erfurt manufacture, which filled a hole for me:

Now let's count the ways this gun is wrong or incorrect, the things that would make the true snobs toss their cookies:

1. It has a - gasp!- Gew98 rear band and a chipped hand guard:

2. Besides the barrel, there is not a single matching part on this rifle, and the bolt number is obviously a non-German font so it's been renumbered somewhere in its postwar life:

3. Some schmuck painted the stock with a rack number or some such nonsense that insults the gun's original Teutonic glory! WHY BUBBA?!

4. Incorrect, unoriginal sling provision:

5. The exposed metal shows pitting & finish loss:

Obviously, this is gun saw postwar service & upgrades, likely in Czechoslovakia. Here's the circle Z on the firing pin:

And here's where things get a little weird for me. Also on the firing pin is something I've never seen on a K98 or its parts: A crescent moon and Arabic numbers on the firing pin:

K98s are known to have gone to Iraq, but to the best of my knowledge all of those guns are marked with the triangle 2/Jeem property stamp. There are no markings like that on this gun.

Yeah, this gun is far from correct. It's bastardized. But guess what, I'm fascinated by the long & diverse service life it lived. Whod'a'thunk it!? Now please refrain from berating my alleged snobbish demeanor from herein. Thank you.  rofl
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:34:25 PM by Blicero »
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: ERMA- early war- a total mutt
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »
Best gun you got.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:56:16 PM »
What a slut this thing has been over the years...probably used against opposing factions time and again.  Defending and offending the side of 'right' more times than can be counted by her stamps.

That's no milsurp son...its a retiree.

I can only hope my first venture into these could be so storied and traveled.
 thumb1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 11:41:23 PM »
Safe to say that old Erma K98k saw some action on more than one occasion.  It would be interesting to know which countries it traveled through, and/or served for, during its travels.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 11:45:40 PM »
Yep, this one is definitely a fascinating rifle...if it could only tell us it's story!

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 08:17:26 PM »
Best gun you got.   thumb1

Nawww, come on now. Let's not get carried away.

"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon