Author Topic: Shooting long distance with SKS iron sights.  (Read 3407 times)

Offline JorgeSKS

• Live free or die trying!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Shooting long distance with SKS iron sights.
« on: January 12, 2020, 08:09:29 AM »
A group of us guys went shooting yesterday to the desert. The group consisted of mostly sandbox Veterans that all own AR’s and Remington 700’s and such. Well, I was the oddball, I had AK’s, and SKS’s. They call me Commie Jorge, even though I also own AR’s.

I start to shoot my Chinese SKS and took it out to 400 yards with iron sights prone hitting a 12”x17” steel target. In a few hours everybody was shooting my SKS at the steel target, making bets who could hit it the most out of 10 shots. While someone was shooting the others were calling the corrections in MIL’s. It was super cool. I won, 5 out of 10 shots hitting steel the other 5 shots dancing around the target.

How far, what distance have you ever taken out the SKS using iron sights? I thought it was a cool story  to share...  Happy shooting!

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
Re: Shooting long distance with SKS iron sights.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 08:28:27 AM »
I have shot mine maybe 100yrds at most with iron sights.  Most of the shooting I do with it is informal shooting at fairly short ranges of about 50yrds or less.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 09:21:29 AM »
I would guess 200 to 250 yards.
It's been so long that I really don't remember for sure, but that's about typical for us.

I haven't been out since I got back into the SKS platform, but I'll let everyone know how bad it is when I do.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 09:40:18 AM »
sounds like a fun day for you Jorge.  thumb1 sadly,   :ono long ranges around me, plus I couldn't walk further then a few yards before I would be out of breath(health reasons with being an oldfart).  cry1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:11:30 AM »
5/10 at 400 yds is good shooting!

My range has gongs approximately every 50 yds ascending (horizontally as well as  vertically up the hillside) out to 445 yds including 404 and 445 yds. I’ve hit the furthest gong (which I believe is larger than the one you described) but not at that high a percentage.

450-500m is where the 7.62x39 round transitions from supersonic to subsonic with a concomitant decrease in accuracy, so you’re still on the supersonic side of that transition at 400 yds (366m).

Offline echo83

• Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 03:48:11 PM »
My range only goes out to 100 yards, and I was decent,  but not great, at that range. I've since gotten a laser boresighter, so I'm going to adjust and try again.

Hats off to you for 400 yards though, especially given what 7.62x39 starts to do at that range. Did you adjust your rear sight at all? What setting did you use?

Offline Randy

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 05:06:06 AM »
sounds like a fun day for you Jorge.  thumb1 sadly,   :ono long ranges around me, plus I couldn't walk further then a few yards before I would be out of breath(health reasons with being an oldfart).  cry1

Same here. I have a 100yard range out behind the barn in the timber. I don't shoot at actual targets normally, just objects I leave out there such as sticks, dog toys (without the dog attached), and the occasional soup sized can. I believe that if I can hit them or get close enough to move them that that's good enough for me. Much smaller than minute of man I guess.

With that said, I can't remember shooting my yugo at that 100 yard berm, I might not have had it built yet when the yugo went dark for the last few years. I know I shot the Mosin at that berm but I got it a good while after I got the yugo. I haven't done anything with the chinese yet other than clean it up some on the outside. I haven't even looked down the bore actually.  lazy1

Offline JorgeSKS

• Live free or die trying!
  • Cadet
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 03:58:47 PM »
My range only goes out to 100 yards, and I was decent,  but not great, at that range. I've since gotten a laser boresighter, so I'm going to adjust and try again.

Hats off to you for 400 yards though, especially given what 7.62x39 starts to do at that range. Did you adjust your rear sight at all? What setting did you use?

The rifle was originally zeroed at 100 meters. I made the adjustments to 350 meters of elevation for the 400 yard shot.

Offline 7.62FMJ

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 07:34:08 PM »
I haven't shot mine much more than 100yds, but my 20" /26\ will pop soda cans at 100yds all day long.  I'm hoping to join a private range here soon that has a 500yd range. 

Offline Randy

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 07:40:03 PM »
I haven't shot mine much more than 100yds, but my 20" /26\ will pop soda cans at 100yds all day long.  I'm hoping to join a private range here soon that has a 500yd range.

I hope it supplies the golf carts. I couldn't walk the over 3/4mile round trip on a 500yard range. That would shut the range down for a half hour each time someone needed to change targets. If that's how it works.

Offline sagesbrush

• Cadet
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 12:28:44 AM »
Long range spot near where I live. Number six is 1,000 yards. Number two is 500 yards. SKS will hit pretty good out to number two. Have hit out to number one with a lot of hold over. Number one is pushing 700 yards. Use the dust impacts to spot the shots.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 12:45:08 AM by sagesbrush »

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 10:48:06 AM »
Nice range! 500 yds is right around where the 7.62x39 out of a 52cm barrel SKS will go subsonic, so right at the limit of decent accuracy.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 08:00:27 PM »
Long range spot near where I live. Number six is 1,000 yards. Number two is 500 yards. SKS will hit pretty good out to number two. Have hit out to number one with a lot of hold over. Number one is pushing 700 yards. Use the dust impacts to spot the shots.

Lucky you. Super jealous.

It's hard to tell from the photo-- are we looking uphill, downhill or level?

And what size targets are you hitting at 500 yards?

Offline sagesbrush

• Cadet
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 08:59:22 PM »
Nice range! 500 yds is right around where the 7.62x39 out of a 52cm barrel SKS will go subsonic, so right at the limit of decent accuracy.

We were shooting out there today. Number two is actually 575 yards. Was shooting a real deal Sniper 91/30 with Russian light ball. Dead on up to 750 yards. Group loosed up some at 1,000, but still hitting.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:33:29 PM by sagesbrush »

Offline sagesbrush

• Cadet
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 09:28:21 PM »
Boris, here is another view from the landing. Shooting pretty much straight across with some slight elevation for 800 to 1,000 yards. No formal targets. Just pick a target of your choice and watch for the dust impact to show where you hit. When things start to dry out around first of June we quit. To easy to start a wildfire.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:36:48 PM by sagesbrush »

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 10:05:34 AM »
I did a 200yrd Military gun shoot at my local range with my 59/66 Yugo and came in 3rd hitting a 12" gong,  I hit 6 out of 10 shots.  A fella with an M1 Garand came in 1st with 9 out of 10 and another fella with a Mauser got 7 out of 10.  I thought that was respectable going against those heavy weights.  thumb1
USN/USCG (retired) Chief.
God created man; Sam Colt made them equal!