Author Topic: Rough, SAR 3  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Rough, SAR 3
« on: April 24, 2020, 09:23:58 AM »
Hi all, I "Never" thought I'd be posting here in this thread but I figured I'd put up a couple pics of my recent, (By pure accident) find.    This is one of those deals that fall's into ones lap while not even looking.  I was at a friend's place talking and having a Beer when we go talking about a couple of my SKS's.  This friend is a hunter and could care less about them, he's a bolt action gun guy.  He said his brother had this old Romanian gun sitting in his garage, "in the corner" for years! (He thought it was an SKS)  :o  So I asked him, is it junk? Is it for sale? could it be a wall hanger? So, long story short I got his phone number and called. The fella said, sure I'll sell it and it's not doing me any good so not sure what I was getting into I went over.  Ok, to move on... I took these pics, "after" the thought and disassembly,  I put it back together for the pics.  "Remarkably" The bore and the internals are in outstanding shape!!!  This rifle was 3ft from a garage window so you can imagine sitting in a corner for about 15 years, what it looked like.  I had to think if the SKS files had an AK thread so thats why I'm putting it here.  Also, since cleaning "again" and getting things working I have shot it and amazingly it is shooting well.  I've shot 100 rounds through it and the groups are getting better, 4" at 50 yards so far...  Hope you like the pics, I believe I save this from the junk pile...

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:57:11 PM by Weldrdave »
USN/USCG (retired) Chief.
God created man; Sam Colt made them equal!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Rough, SAR 3
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 09:37:59 AM »
 thumb1 thumb1 I love the look.. natural, like it was picked up out of the field and just wiped off.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 10:09:19 AM »
*NOTE* forgot to mention, I gave $300 for it.  He wouldn't take less, I offered $200 and said it would just sit there.   It was killing me to see that  cry1  So, I broke...

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 11:46:17 AM »
Even with the rough external finish that was well worth the three Benjamins  thumb1 Good job cleaning it up and saving it from the rust bin.

Did it come with any extra magazines? They’re hard to find and a bit pricey, I hear.

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 01:15:08 PM »
No, nothing just the way you see it.    I was lucky, I found a person who had one, a 10 round as I have,  on one of the "gun shopping sights" that was N.O.S. and I got it for $30.00 shipped.
I'm gonna spend "much" more time with this just to make sure I stop the future rusting.   I believe as long as the wood is sound, (which it seems) and I get "all" the surface rust completely off and keep it lightly oiled, she'll be fine!  It does look battle rough, but is a good shooter so far.  I don't even own a .223/5.56 or AR and had no intentions of getting one, I do now I guess...  whistle12
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 01:24:32 PM by Weldrdave »

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 04:28:00 PM »
nice save, thanks for sharing Dave.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 04:53:53 PM »
Congrats, on the price and pick-up.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 02:29:09 AM »
Good save, and good score!
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 07:27:17 AM »
Congrats on the find and the purchase price! SAR-3's are good shooters. Many were sold with the 30rd. East German 5.45x39mm AK-74 bakelight mags that had been worked over to fit and function in the 5.56 SAR-3's. The steel Weiger mags like the one you have there are definitely harder to find and pricey. They'll compete in price with the Polytech AK mags with the chrome followers. (Talking about the 30rd steel Weiger mags here.) Yours has the two push-pin floorplate, right?

The rust pitting takes a toll on resale price for collector value. But unless there's deep pitting on the inside, in places that need a smooth surface to function correctly, you'll be able to enjoy that rifle for a long time. Hard to imagine somebody leaving a rifle like that sitting in the corner of a garage to rust away. I guess "valuable" has a different meaning to some folks. Just glad you found it and were able to get it and restore it to functional again! I'd be proud to own it any day!

I'm a bit jealous. I have the SAR-1's and SAR-2's. Always wanted to complete the set but always seem to hear about them like this.  cry1  Thanks for posting it up!

firstchoice

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 07:53:57 AM »
Yes, it does have the two pin plate!  I took the mag apart and it was perfect inside.  I just found another on the gun buyer site and got a N.O.S. one for $30.00, it
s being shipped as we type.  I've been kinda a SKS buff since retiring and been hovering around learning!  This has been a "GREAT" place for this old Chief!  I have a couple old junkers, M1 Garand, 1917 Enfield, and some SKS's.  When I was in the military and moving from place to place it was "hard" to haul guns around without the legalities and my position. I wasn't about to get in trouble and lose a carrer because of a few rifles so I sold 90% of what stuff I had off.  I'm slowly recovering my "wants" if you will.   I have to move one more time but that is to a very, very KIND gun oriented state where I own lots of land.   8)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:58:28 AM by Weldrdave »

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 03:08:36 PM »
So, using the "high quality" targets I use, 7" paper plates chuckles1 This is where it's shooting in at 50 yrds.  I believe my eyes are some of the problem here  whistle12, But  Take this all day!   I shot 30 rounds today and this was about the best group.  I had them all on the other plates, but nailed some good orange here!  :).  I cleaned it "again" this morning I'm very happy now with the old girl. it seems to be 99.9% rust free...

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 12:29:51 AM »
Nothing wrong with your high dollar targets!  :)  Whatever gets us to the range, right? Same here on the old eyes. I'm just happy to get trigger time.

Did you get your 2nd 10rd Weiger mag? It's good to have those. Are you going to try to find some 30rd mags of whatever type for your SAR-3?

There's only been a couple of members post pics of their SAR-3's since 2015 and neither have posted since their original thread. There may be some AK enthusiasts out there that could fill in some info about exactly what mags will fit and what, if any, modifications to the mags that are needed.

firstchoice

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 03:28:40 PM »
I "did" find a fella with a N.O.S. Weiger 10 round and it fits Perfect on Gun broker!  Shoots fine, no jams.   :)

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 03:34:14 PM »
I see those mags pop up on the AK site from time to time
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 06:34:39 AM »
I see those mags pop up on the AK site from time to time

What AK site are you referring to Larry? I'd like to check out a few things myself.

firstchoice

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 07:10:34 PM »
This thread is just begging for this......

Why did the AK collector have to go to the hospital?

He had a case of SARS.     Ba da crash
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 09:30:43 PM »
This thread is just begging for this......

Why did the AK collector have to go to the hospital?

He had a case of SARS.     Ba da crash

Ay Carrumba
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 07:22:21 PM »
Found a link to some Weiger 30rd. mags. Not as pricey as I thought...Buy a dozen!  chuckles1

https://www.apexgunparts.com/ak-wasr-3-sar-3-wieger-30rd-magazine-steel-5-56-223-excellent.html

firstchoice

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 08:22:31 AM »
Found a link to some Weiger 30rd. mags. Not as pricey as I thought...Buy a dozen!  chuckles1

https://www.apexgunparts.com/ak-wasr-3-sar-3-wieger-30rd-magazine-steel-5-56-223-excellent.html

firstchoice

I found a fella in Wisconsin who had 7 of them.  He now has 5.  :) 8)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 05:15:59 AM »

firstchoice
I found a fella in Wisconsin who had 7 of them.  He now has 5.  :) 8)

Excellent! Was the cost comparable to the ApexGunParts website? I'm looking forward to hearing how well they function in your new-to-you SAR-3. I've always heard they were made for it but all the SAR-3's I'd seen to date were bought with the 10rd Weiger mags or the bakelite "modified" mags. I may have to start buying some of the mags for that elusive SAR-3 that's out there waiting for me.  chuckles1 

And you know it's gonna look good!  thumb1 8)

firstchoice