Author Topic: For You Paratrooper Junkies  (Read 776 times)

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
For You Paratrooper Junkies
« on: May 02, 2023, 07:56:32 PM »
Hi SKS Lovers,

This little gem is a KSI wood stocked Paratrooper without the "no-where rail". They are kinds scarce in wood with no rail and the wood units have the cleanest front sight base neuter job, no bayo lugs or rod guides, very clean. This particular rifle came with an importer installed Capco recoil pad and NSTAR muzzle brake. At least that's the way I got it and the fella in front of me said he bought it like that. Maybe LGS installed? Additionally, it's an all-matching arsenal /26\ short lug pot belly stock with the blade bayo slot filled in. Appears original as the crappy finish is evenly crappy over the slot inlet. I added the Romy sling, which looks pretty sweet on it. This is my favorite Para next to a Cowboy Companion I've got. Doesn't seem to have been run much, good sear engagement and everything's tight. Some picts you have to blow up to see the details. PAX

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 11:24:24 AM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: For You Paratrooper Junkies
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 09:54:44 AM »
Neat one PAX.  Didn't realize KSI paratroopers w/o the rail actually existed!  The stock is an interesting one too.  Obviously not original to the rifle, yet the blade bayo insert block fits extremely well with the other mods so it was likely done all at once with all the other paratrooper mods including the recoil pad.   Definitely one to hang onto!

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 11:22:19 AM »
Thanks rm. The stock bayo mod must have been done at the start of the ban wars. I have a spiker stock that's filled in too. Later the importers quit messing with the wood like that and just left the bayo slot be. I've got another KSI Para that had the rail, but mine was screwed on. I removed it and fabbed it to fit a T89 mount, then when I picked up a scopeless Cowboy Companion I took the T89 off the KSI, put it on the CC. I found a K-Sport branded Butler Creek, put Allen screws in the KSI rail holes and cloned a Parka Para of sorts. Turned out pretty cool. PAX

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 11:31:42 AM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 11:32:36 AM »
I'm liking the Romy leather sling on that Para, gives it a more refined look. Random question, do you think the SKS in general would have been more popular over the years if all of them had the leather slings instead of the cheaper canvas?
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 12:32:31 PM »
Definitely a nice looking para with clean lines!

Leather and wood is always a good combo. The Romanian standard issue slings were the best looking, and probably the most complicated to make, of all the different countries that made the SKS.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 01:09:48 PM »
I'm liking the Romy leather sling on that Para, gives it a more refined look. Random question, do you think the SKS in general would have been more popular over the years if all of them had the leather slings instead of the cheaper canvas?

I've put Romy leather and PPS slings on the SKS. Also, VZ slings. I just like them better but in the long run the stock sling is a non-issue for me. Up until the plague hit, most of my LGS haunts usually had a junk bin full of slings of all types. The beat-up actual Romy ones (not repo) I got for a song, the LGS guys aren't milsurp savvy and just thought of them as "junk". I found a Yugo with oiler too. The plague killed a few good shops. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 02:19:37 PM »
Definitely a nice looking para with clean lines!

Leather and wood is always a good combo. The Romanian standard issue slings were the best looking, and probably the most complicated to make, of all the different countries that made the SKS.

Something similar on a Public Security salvage. It was in an ATI Monty with a cover mount when I found it. Two vital parts gone forever, numbered receiver cover and side sling mount stock. I did what I could with what I had. PAX

« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 10:07:58 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew