Author Topic: A LITTLE SOMETHING I TRIED  (Read 3736 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
A LITTLE SOMETHING I TRIED
« on: June 16, 2016, 01:10:47 AM »
Hi All,

I've had a project rifle's profile and use stuck in my head for some time.

Application (which any stock SKS could fulfill):
   To hunt pig here in Kali, which I've never done, and actually only kilt 1 deer, and build a robust truck gun. I know most don't associate Kali and "Truck Gun", they 
   do exist, but you don't see 'em in cab gun racks these days.
   And to comply with the soon to be banned usage of leaded ammo. Monolithic bullets are longer than lead core bullets of the same weight. And expensive.

I didn't want to experiment with my own precious metal, so I've been on the lookout for just the "right" barreled action, with a barrel already cut, an ex-project. Pre Bubbad, if you will. It need not be Tacticool, just Practicool, cobbled together, with some spare bits and pieces, gathered from the realm. And cheap, did I mention cheap?

After trying different furniture, this is what I ended up with, fitting me the best, good balance, and I like the way it looks. Choate Drag, no spacers.
Picked up a numbers matching early Sino-Soviet (stock too) cut to 17 1/2". Messed up on the first 14X1 LH thread attempt, wasn't centered to the bore. After cutting to 16 1/2", an annular cutter the second go set the OD, squared the barrel face, threaded, finished the muzzle work with an 11* crown. Prince 50, then topped with a short Tri-Delta brake. I screwed up 2 sight bases and the P50, trying to press the base in.

At the receiver I swapped the bolt carrier for an un-numbered Alby, and the stock mag for an un-numbered 5 rounder. It turned out pretty cool, has good balance, will get Parked colored Duracote eventually. Not done, but functional as is, and I don't feel the need to go to confession over the blasphemy that's befallen the wretched thing. PAX

Here it is with the Williams installed. PAX

You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: A LITTLE SOMETHING I TRIED
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:01:14 AM »
I can dig it!

It looks like it would be great in a scabbard...those Choate drag stocks have always appealed to me. This gives me a little gumption towards the continued modification of my ATI drag into something...else.  I also have some ideas to mod some ATI plain jane handguards similar to the Choate as well....

Cool you were able to bring this one back to life. :)

Offline Brawny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 11:45:44 AM »

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 02:27:47 AM »
I can dig it!
It looks like it would be great in a scabbard...those Choate drag stocks have always appealed to me. This gives me a little gumption towards the continued modification of my ATI drag into something...else.  I also have some ideas to mod some ATI plain jane handguards similar to the Choate as well....
Cool you were able to bring this one back to life. :)

JH.

I worked my ATI Drag over quite a bit. Took the saw an dremal to it where I thought it was all wrong. I can shiny it up, but I'm not. Works good, comes apart easily in the usual fashion. PAX

You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline alfred

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 12:41:13 PM »
I like the Muzzle break and the rear sight.  8)
Looks like I'm gonna have fun reading your stuff. read1
Thanks for sharing. clap1
Now I must start hitting the pawn shops looking for a beater SKS.  thumb1
Alfred ;)