Author Topic: Belgian Modele 1924  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Belgian Modele 1924
« on: October 01, 2018, 09:36:03 PM »
Went over to the wet side with my wife two weeks ago for a couple of days and I found this fairly scarce Mauser lurking in a shop south of Seattle.

This is a post-WWII Fabrique Nationale Mauser, or Model 1950 (collectors term) but known in the Belgian military as the Modele 1924 (confusing, I know). Anyhow, it's an FN Mauser contract for the home country. Only 24,000 were made. Belgium ordered these bolt action Mausers because they needed more arms quickly and they were less expensive than the FN-49 that the Belgians were then ordering to slowly rebuild and modernize their army. The Belgians commitment to participate in the UN response to the Korean conflict necessitated a more rapid rearmament, hence the Mausers. Both the FN-49 and the FN Mauser were chambered in .30-06 as the de facto cartridge of the US allies immediately after WWII and to utilize the free/cheap surplus US ammunition.

This Mauser comes with two different years and two different crests, for three variations (yes, that violates the matrix rules). L for King Leopold III who abdicated in favor of his son King Baudoin in 1951 (but actually stepping aside after a transition period in July 1952). So L 1952 is the rarest, L 1951 next, and B 1952 is the most common. Mine is the "common" variation accounting for perhaps 50-65% of the total production.

They were Parkerized then painted with hard black paint, as was FN practice on small arms post-war. This one has obviously worn extensively with little black paint remaining (you can see it on the rear sight slider). The marks near the front sight were from sighting in at the refurbishment facility on two occasions. The heel repair is another sign that it went through a refurb facility. Anyhow, enjoy!

Inspector Charles Daenen denoted by the S* served from 1952-1968

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Belgian Modele 1924
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 10:42:54 PM »
FN... Fricken Nice thumb1

My FN 1950 was converted to 7.62 NATO from .30-06, by Colombia. Kind of a bummer I guess, but at least it's easier to find than 8x22mm Nambu rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 10:55:19 PM »
Thanks  :)

I’ll take care of your Colombian for you. I don’t have any Colombian Mausers...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 11:02:59 PM »
Thanks  :)

I’ll take care of your Colombian for you. I don’t have any Colombian Mausers...

:o. Uhm......no, no way nea1 Colombia is like....my hero.. some mighty fine caffeine comes from that little nation......and I like bananas too..  Coffee and Nannars...  thumb1

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 09:17:36 AM »
nice! thanks for info too.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 09:26:35 AM »
nice! thanks for info too.  thumb1

Thanks Carl!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »
Man, you're certainly trying to outgrow that tiny gun room you've got pretty quickly aren't you?!  Nice pickup P32!  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »
Man, you're certainly trying to outgrow that tiny gun room you've got pretty quickly aren't you?!  Nice pickup P32!  thumb1

Thanks RM! Yes, my wife was just mentioning that it was looking rather over-stuffed in there. Time to reorganize  thumb1

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 12:53:01 PM »
If the Mauser doesn't fit in the gun room, I have an overflow area for Belgian guns.

This one saw a lot of  handling.   Nice score

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 01:29:49 PM »
If the Mauser doesn't fit in the gun room, I have an overflow area for Belgian guns.

Don't let P32 fool ya.... he says he ships it to you, but oddly, it never shows, the package gets abducted by aliens, sinks on a ship or some other really out there story. Maybe the sasquatch in Washington gets them.... rofl2

I've lost more shipments to them little green people and hairy apes... everyone else has no issues.. 

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »

I appreciate the generous offer. Next time the Pony Express rider passes through I'll ship it east  thumb1

Thanks. Yeah, no doubt. Not much black paint left.

It lacks an import mark, which does not seem uncommon on these, but it makes me wonder where it traveled before arriving in the US. Vanderlinden states that they weren't surplussed by the Belgian Army until the 1970s. Either he's mistaken or some were shipped elsewhere, from whence they were imported into the US previous to the 1968 GCA  think1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 01:36:17 PM »

Don't let P32 fool ya.... he says he ships it to you, but oddly, it never shows, the package gets abducted by aliens, sinks on a ship or some other really out there story. Maybe the sasquatch in Washington gets them.... rofl2

I've lost more shipments to them little green people and hairy apes... everyone else has no issues..

It's the dang Pony Express riders. They always get drunk at the Salacious Saloon in Missoula, Montana and misplace the darn things hurry1  didnt do

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 05:10:28 PM »

It's the dang Pony Express riders. They always get drunk at the Salacious Saloon in Missoula, Montana and misplace the darn things hurry1  didnt do

If there were a Salacious Saloon...I would know about it...and likely would have my picture on the wall. I live about 14 miles east of Missoula...and almost all the bars betwixt here and there have closed...probably due to missing postal employees and their steeds.... :-X

When rearranging the gun room (bedroom) (I am actually doing this right now)...I always leave a blank spot for more, it seems to be working with the wife. Only six years ago...I only had like three SKSs. I just cleared out all the ammo boxes underneath the wall of them we have now, leaving room for four more.....six if I move them all up about five inches closer to the ceiling.  By the time the holes in my collection fill the holes I create, my projector will likely buck the kicket and I will have a whole new wall to fill.  rockon

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 08:32:26 PM »
If there were a Salacious Saloon...I would know about it...and likely would have my picture on the wall. I live about 14 miles east of Missoula...and almost all the bars betwixt here and there have closed...probably due to missing postal employees and their steeds.... :-X

rofl

When rearranging the gun room (bedroom) (I am actually doing this right now)...I always leave a blank spot for more, it seems to be working with the wife. Only six years ago...I only had like three SKSs. I just cleared out all the ammo boxes underneath the wall of them we have now, leaving room for four more.....six if I move them all up about five inches closer to the ceiling.  By the time the holes in my collection fill the holes I create, my projector will likely buck the kicket and I will have a whole new wall to fill.  rockon

Sounds like a good plan...I just don't have any blank spots to be had. I need to build a free standing gun rack to go in front of my wall mounted gun racks...I may have a problem  think1  didnt do  :)

...and I may have had one of those M08 type days at the auction last Saturday

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 08:53:24 PM »

Ah.....ha..  P32 told a naughty... Mr Montana said ain't no mess of postal workers on ponies in some Wherever, Montana hoochie momma topless bar.. I've been doing what you said... Hold your breath, GM.... Well I keep passing out... And now I know I ain't getting no P32 goodies I was told about.  cry1

chuckles1 rofl2

Ain't no might have last Sat..... Tell the truth, clear your conscience and be a good junkie.... You went full on M08 at the auction, that's almost, just about, but not quite equal to full GM retard, ....birthday boy thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »
Ain't no might have last Sat..... Tell the truth, clear your conscience and be a good junkie.... You went full on M08 at the auction, that's almost, just about, but not quite equal to full GM retard, ....birthday boy thumb1

It was only one handful; a Mauser for each finger and a SMLE for my thumb  :-[  rofl