Author Topic: Did the Soviets test fire every new SKS, AK, Mak, etc -- proofing vs test firing  (Read 360 times)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter

Did the Soviets follow the standards set by the C.I.P. ?

Was every barrel proofed in the white, prior to assembly-- a la black powder proofing-- and then test fired again after final assembly with overpowered cartridges?

Or did the Soviets perform test firing on sample batches of finished small arms?

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
I don’t think there’s going to be a definitive answer Boris. The Soviets were pretty serious about the quality of their arms industry so I can’t imagine they wouldn’t have proof tested and zeroed each and every one, but I’ve got nothing but intuition to back that up.

I do remember reading long ago that it was thought there were common ‘proof marks’ on the left side barrel lug (circle with a TK comes to mind, or maybe it was a circle П,  honestly could be almost anything I suppose).

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
 If every rifle was test fired after assembly, they would have to be cleaned due to corrosive ammo.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 05:35:30 AM by jstin2 »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
The barrels on Chinese sks bear the Soviet proof marks long after the sino-soviet split. Romanian M59s also bear known soviet proof marks.

I've long thought this to be strong indication that pressure testing -- at least for the soviet sks bbls-- was done prior to assembly.