Author Topic: I'm stumped? Calling the Great SKS Gods Please!  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
I'm stumped? Calling the Great SKS Gods Please!
« on: October 01, 2021, 02:53:50 PM »
I just came back from an estate sale and picked up this SKS, which (I) believe to be Chinese but there is NO arsenal stamp anywhere! Every number on the gun matches, the bolt, firing pin all the way down to the gas tube and so on.  I can't find anything that says "China" or any type of marking except a serial number.  Up under the spike it does say 762x39 CAI, St A Vt. 
Also, I've never seen a dull bolt carrier, That's a new one for me. 
I would greatly appreciate your Input.  The rifle is in gorgeous shape other than a small nick here and there.  Bore is just as nice.   Thanks all...

USN/USCG (retired) Chief.
God created man; Sam Colt made them equal!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: I'm stumped? Calling the Great SKS Gods Please!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 04:02:16 PM »
Definitely Chinese, late model pinned barrel maybe one of the '84 'no arsenal' guns, but the short SN confuses me. I'm sure Rm or someone with better knowledge than I will chime in soon.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 04:30:29 PM »
Aside from the upside down bayo, nice rifle. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 06:24:19 PM »
Aside from the upside down bayo, nice rifle. PAX
I thought so too!  thumb1

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 06:39:39 PM »
The blond chu wood stock, pinned barrel and gray bolt carrier are the same features on my late '93 Norinco Sporter. Nice rifle sir. Good find.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 07:12:20 PM »
The blond chu wood stock, pinned barrel and gray bolt carrier are the same features on my late '93 Norinco Sporter. Nice rifle sir. Good find.
Thanks! I gave $400.00 for it, I thought it was a decent buy.  I wish I knew more about it though, the few I have are all stamped with (something)... One of the things confusing on this rifle is, If it's a late model gun wouldn't the trigger assembly be stamped?  Everything on this gun is milled.

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 07:36:52 PM »
$400 !!! Decent buy??? It’s a steal these days!!! Well done, sir!

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 08:03:18 PM »
Decent buy for sure. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 09:50:45 PM »
Nice find...no matter who made it!  rofl

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 02:37:49 AM »
Post 1984 assembly using late and early components.

Trigger group is pre-1966. Cant tell if the gas tube is single or two piece. But the rest of the gun looks like late production.

$400 !?

Great deal

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 02:54:45 AM »
This must be a very early CAI import (possibly their first batchof Chinese imports?). Nation of origin is on all their stamps.

Perhaps the CHINA stamp is poorly struck? Or elsewhere on the metal beneath the stock wood?

Can you post a photo of the import stamp?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2021, 04:16:40 AM »
Well covered above.

It’s a late 1980s rifle assembled for the civilian market from a mix of metal components and a new non-serialized stock.

The “762x39 CAI, St A Vt.” is definitely an early CAI import, right after their initial use of a receiver cover import marking. The absence of CHINA is odd. Light strike? New variant of import mark? A good picture of the import markings would be great.

Certainly a good buy these days!

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2021, 05:13:15 AM »
This must be a very early CAI import (possibly their first batchof Chinese imports?). Nation of origin is on all their stamps.

Perhaps the CHINA stamp is poorly struck? Or elsewhere on the metal beneath the stock wood?

Can you post a photo of the import stamp?
I will do so,  Later today.

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2021, 05:19:50 AM »
Well covered above.

It’s a late 1980s rifle assembled for the civilian market from a mix of metal components and a new non-serialized stock.

The “762x39 CAI, St A Vt.” is definitely an early CAI import, right after their initial use of a receiver cover import marking. The absence of CHINA is odd. Light strike? New variant of import mark? A good picture of the import markings would be great.

I'll get the best pics I can later this afternoon, I have a family issue to attend to so it'll be after 1500.  I looked it over pretty good yesterday and could not find "China" anywhere but thats not saying it isn't there.  I'll dig.  thumb1

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2021, 06:02:03 AM »
Well covered above.

I had a few minutes this morning so I removed the cleaning rod and here is the Import stamp!  No "China" anywhere to be found.  I haven't removed the wood yet but I can't find a thing that says China.  I went so far as to grab a magnifying glass to look incase I missed it, nope...

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 09:08:23 AM »
beauty, well bought Dave. you did good.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2021, 10:59:55 AM »
Well covered above.

Very good buy.  That's a nice clean SKS.  thumb1

I would say that import stamp is a new one just based on the position and the unique wording.  It's likely a multi-piece stamp where the "SKS" and "CHINA" portions were either forgotten or were not yet implemented.  Probably goes somewhere among CAI #1 to CAI #3 on the importers list.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2021, 11:26:06 AM »
Boris, I made out in one of Dave's pics that it is a 2 piece gas tube.

Phos, the one pic of the left side of the butt of the stock does show an SN, just hard to see from the light glare off the finish.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2021, 04:47:23 PM »
Well covered above.

Very good buy.  That's a nice clean SKS.  thumb1

I would say that import stamp is a new one just based on the position and the unique wording.  It's likely a multi-piece stamp where the "SKS" and "CHINA" portions were either forgotten or were not yet implemented.  Probably goes somewhere among CAI #1 to CAI #3 on the importers list.
If it can be used as reference, Please do!  Glad to assist!  :).  I have found "Nothing" marked China yet on this gun.  nea1

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2021, 07:19:34 AM »
Well covered above.

There is a serial number in the stock.  thumb1. Kinda hard to read with the glare but it's there clear.