Author Topic: COMMERCIAL...YOU DECIDE?  (Read 2590 times)

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
COMMERCIAL...YOU DECIDE?
« on: March 04, 2017, 07:54:10 PM »
Greetings from the Khyber Pass Fabrication Shop,

One of my latest acquisitions (courtesy of Alfred), a K-Sport Hunter , with the rail that fits nada, has got a little work over, and is now the Khyber Pass Exterminator. When I picked it up it was in wood furniture with a French Tickler hand guard, which I guess are kinda rare, so I put in in a Choate Monty and non vented HG, to save the wood from myself. Since they're mostly found in Butler Creek poly, it's not too far off.

Next I picked up a Navy Arms Type 89 mount, base, and Red Star scope. I started to compare the differences, then went to a machine shop, you know the guys that have mills and micrometers, to get some cost estimates to have the professionals make the conglomeration work.

Bubba not like what he hear, so Bubba do himself. From this:

To create this:

The rail was screwed on and easy to remove and work on, so the rail ended up not being a dead end, but a new direction. Now it has a useful function. Bubba loves him some Dremal and bastard file. :)

Bubba also finish Public Security Forces salvage and re-tool. Bubba have too many rifles black, so Bubba use some style. Timbersmith, blank receiver cover & 5 round mag, Tech Sights, and Romy sling.

Bubbas work not done. Other damaged SKSs await Bubbas attention.
Adios from the Khyber Pass Fabrication Team. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: COMMERCIAL...YOU DECIDE?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:13:07 PM »
I think this would be better suited under "projects", but at least you've got a commercial model in there.

I actually like that 23/24mil the way it was from K-sports. Just a really nice looking gun. But your version with the Type 89 mount is also very nicely done.

Not too keen on those Timbersmith stocks though. Too big and bulky looking for me (even though they are not actually that big).

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 09:03:44 PM »
I like the way the K-Sports came out Pax!  How much did you have to take off the west coast rail to get the type 89 mount to fit?  What did the shop want to charge you?  I'm guessing north of $100?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 09:04:52 PM »
Cannon digs the Timbersmith stock and 5 rounder.  Strong men only need apply.  :P

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 11:33:06 PM »
Both look really nice!

Did your scope come with the cap and eyecup or did you find suitable substitutes for them?  If so, I need five of each please. :)

I am also jealous of the green grass you show off.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 11:47:42 PM »
Thanks guys.

I like the K-Sport in the matching numbered furniture also, but the wood's too nice for any field work or range incidents. It's not going to be a safe queen.

The professionals were going to be quite spendy to mill the "nowhere rail" to fit the mount. It needed 1/32nd" off each edge, and a pitch adjustment to the dovetail angle. I worked the tapered end of the rail first, for about 1/4", until I got the right size/angle, then continued for the length of the mount. The un cut remainder of the rail created a stop. Then I used a square file to set the knurled nob lock point. I had the type 89 base to use as a reference. The other "clean" option was to have the shop mill out a "ribbon" the shape of the t89 base, long enough to use the existing holes in the receiver, then cut into equal length pieces to offer as replacements for sale, to recoup the fab cost.

The scope, eye pieces, mount, and base came as a package. I didn't want to screw around with any of those, since they're valuable on their own right. The rail, not so much.

The PSF came with a receiver cover mount in an ATI Monty. Two numbered and unique pieces, never to be seen again  >:( All matching but...That's how it came to be in the Timbersmith, and the Tech Sights hide the blank replacement cover  whistle12. Looks good with the Romy sling I found last week. Compared to the Choate, it's boat anchor heavy. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798