Author Topic: replacement stock theory  (Read 2766 times)

Offline newchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
replacement stock theory
« on: March 03, 2017, 05:13:47 PM »
I have a theory, thats pretty well un-provable without having every sks ever in front of me, or a big bunch of SKS nerds on the internet.

It relates to stocks, and renumbered repaired stocks in particular.
When i think about the minor repairs on some of my stocks i cant help but think how it would be unlikely for # A1234 that needs a stock repair to sit around on a table while a skilled carpenter inspects it, cuts the old wood out at the best spot, cuts a new piece to replace it, test fits it, sands it, tests it again, eventually glues it and clamps it overnight, then slaps a little varnish or whatever on it the next day and lets that dry.

My theory is, in the above scenario the stock went in the "to be fixed" pile and one from the "ready to go" pile was put on.  Either a new or a repaired one depending on a million reasons.

The problem is to try and prove this you need to find gun #A1234  and then a stock with #A1234 xx'd out.   And who the heck is that nerdy they would keep track of that kind of thing??
 thankyou1

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: replacement stock theory
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 07:36:40 PM »
I think the majority of 'repairs' you see were likely done during the production of the stock, where the wood had a flaw that could be corrected, preventing a problem later.

With the amount of xxxed out stocks with nothing really wrong with them, I think when it came to refurbing all major parts were disassembled for painting and the stocks were less likely to rejoin their previous mates....perishable parts and non perishable parts probably went two different directions.

My original finish laminate's only sin was it was separated from its previous owner....that got it as a refurb in the first place.  A matching stock is either original, or an original replacement. Otherwise, it more than likely was going to end up on another gun at the next refurb.  As far as refurbed stocks go...there was likely an inspection process, either sink or swim...and then off to be refinished, if needed....and then to the appropriate stamp wielding guy with the big hammer.

That is my opinion only though...

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 08:26:38 PM »
With the amount of xxxed out stocks with nothing really wrong with them, I think when it came to refurbing all major parts were disassembled for painting and the stocks were less likely to rejoin their previous mates....perishable parts and non perishable parts probably went two different directions.

Ahh, you may be right too.  just because my xx'd out guns have repairs, doesnt mean they all do.

And would explain how a stock has more than one set of xxx'd out numbers.  Its not that the gun got wrecked somehow twice, just that a stock is a stock is a stock and who cares what gun it goes on after it gets re-done.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 12:10:15 AM »
Ah...  Just posted in the other thread not knowing you started this one. 

Welp,  one thing to add to the discussion.  There are several points of the stock in which must be fitted.  In other words, dont be surprised when swapping stocks from one action to another that the crossbolt will not seat quite right due to a length difference from the tang. The same can then be said about its relative distance to the stock ferrule.  I wont even get into the receiver to trigger housing tang height figment.  Although you would think all having the same country of origin they would be 100% interchangeable, they for the most part are, but not always. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 08:44:18 AM »
I assume like anything there is a +/- in tolerance and if you get the slightly oversize and the slightly under size together it doesn't work.  Im sure Olga and Svetlana had some kind of a guide to follow.
I wish there was some footage of these operations, i never find anything sks related though.

I live in hope of finding a gun with one of my serials xxx'd out.  (mostly because i need an excuse to look at every sks i see that sounds slightly justifiable)

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 03:58:41 PM »
I assume like anything there is a +/- in tolerance and if you get the slightly oversize and the slightly under size together it doesn't work.  Im sure Olga and Svetlana had some kind of a guide to follow.
I wish there was some footage of these operations, i never find anything sks related though.

I live in hope of finding a gun with one of my serials xxx'd out.  (mostly because i need an excuse to look at every sks i see that sounds slightly justifiable)

you can find it in SKS Repair/Armorer Manual:
Руководство по ремонту 7,62-мм самозарядных карабинов Симонова (СКС)