Author Topic: I said I was not getting anymore, but....  (Read 6786 times)

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
I said I was not getting anymore, but....
« on: November 18, 2016, 08:54:28 AM »
...I had to follow PS's lead and will be bringing home this lovely DDR Makarov.  I don't know what happened, just woke up one morning and could not get Maks out of my mind.  Perused locally with no success, so got my little fingers dancing on the keys and found this:

1962 model chambered in 9x18 9mm.  The blue-black finish is amazingly impressive on these and the fit and finish is reputed to be on par with other fine German weapons.  Cannot wait to get this one onto the range!!

It has been stated that occasionally, the makers of the holsters will autograph them, so, I have to thank Mannicke for his fine workmanship on this example. 

This Mak went through military inspection as is denoted by the letter surrounded by little dots and does not seem to have gone through an arsenal refurb.  However, the two mags do not number match the rest of the pistol, but after seeing DC's pics of the destruction of the Maks, I can understand why...
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
Re: I said I was not getting anymore, but....
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:27:03 AM »
There will be love soon... Makarovs are VERY nice shooters.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 10:37:02 AM »
Very nice!!   clap1

Best watch out or you might be labeled an 'enabler' by certain people on this board!  It tends to happen when nice specimens (like this one) are posted that others mysteriously seem to follow your lead.  chuckles1

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 10:55:35 AM »
There will be love soon... Makarovs are VERY nice shooters.

I already feel my heart going pitter patter....  Would love to get a true Russian at some point, but that will have to wait until at least next year.  I have heard that they are fine shooters and why I am so interested in getting to the range with it.  I was also very pleased to see the ammo is readily available and affordable. 
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:00:16 AM »
Very nice!!   clap1

Best watch out or you might be labeled an 'enabler' by certain people on this board!  It tends to happen when nice specimens (like this one) are posted that others mysteriously seem to follow your lead.  chuckles1

Thanks!! 

After finally publicly admitting I have the dreaded addiction, I think I can leave the enabling to him who has so much more finesse.....  ;) 

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »
Wow...  Looks awesome!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 11:33:09 AM »
congrats, that's a beauty.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 02:43:18 PM »
I said I was not getting anymore

chuckles1  yeah....ok, I've said the same thing half a dozen, if not more times.  thumb1  Don't blame yourself.. Don't try to stifle it, the DT's and withdrawal pains are alot for one to suffer through  :)

My recent last bout I fell off the wagon, big time :o and well you all just have to wait for the pictures.. :)

Real nice early one  thumb1  It doesn't have the normal "star" style grips, wonder if they were swapped out or ?
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 03:10:12 PM »
I don't think I would handle the DT's very well judging from my past performance...haha rofl  rofl

Really anxious to see those pics you alluded to; you always bring something real shiny to the table!!

The plain black bakelite grips without a lanyard loop were the standard issue for the East German PM.  The rest of the Mak manufacturers (not sure about China) used those with the encircled star.  However, many imported East German pistols (and commercial Maks) did have a thumb-shelf grip installed, in order to gain "points" to allow importation into the USA.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 11:10:43 PM »
Very nice!  thumb1 I bet you'll love it.   :)

There were about 110,000 made in 1962 based on the 11 double letter prefixes observed.

Numrich has the original East German checkered black grips for $20 if you ever decide to change. That thumb rest on your left grip looks like it might be comfy.

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 12:15:49 PM »
Very nice!  thumb1 I bet you'll love it.   :)

There were about 110,000 made in 1962 based on the 11 double letter prefixes observed.

Numrich has the original East German checkered black grips for $20 if you ever decide to change. That thumb rest on your left grip looks like it might be comfy.

Thank you.  Yes, I'd like to get the original milsurp grip for this pistol  to make it "correct", but I think the ATF-approved version is going to be more comfortable to shoot. Your Mak pushed me over the edge; just had to get one after seeing it--very nice find!!

Have you purchased a copy of "The Makarov Pistol: Soviet Union and East Germany (Volume 1)" by GB forum members Henry C. Brown and Cameron S. White?  I have downloaded the $9.99 Kindle version, but have not yet gotten into it--looks like a very good resource.  thumb1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 03:13:35 PM »
Have you purchased a copy of "The Makarov Pistol: Soviet Union and East Germany (Volume 1)" by GB forum members Henry C. Brown and Cameron S. White?  I have downloaded the $9.99 Kindle version, but have not yet gotten into it--looks like a very good resource.  thumb1

Yup, definitely a good book. Nice history and explains the main markings, but there are still a few unknowns.

Not sure what the "ATF approved grips" are. I'm aware of the plastic adjustable sights they had to put on commercial Russian Makarovs to make them "non-military" configuration and thus importable from Russia. Was there something similar for the DDR Makarovs?

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 12:55:29 PM »
Not sure what the "ATF approved grips" are. I'm aware of the plastic adjustable sights they had to put on commercial Russian Makarovs to make them "non-military" configuration and thus importable from Russia. Was there something similar for the DDR Makarovs?

From article, "East German Makarov; A cold War Classic", Cameron White, American Rifleman, July 24, 2015.  "Most imported pistols had a thumb shelf installed, which was needed to gain (sporting purpose) points to allow importation into the United States. " 

ATF prerequisites for hand gun importation: https://www.atf.gov/file/61591/download   The Mak needed the "target" grip with thumb rest to meet the required 75 points to allow it to be imported.  This form may have been drafted before the Russian and DDR Maks were designated C&R by the same agency.   

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 01:46:39 PM »

From article, "East German Makarov; A cold War Classic", Cameron White, American Rifleman, July 24, 2015.  "Most imported pistols had a thumb shelf installed, which was needed to gain (sporting purpose) points to allow importation into the United States. " 

ATF prerequisites for hand gun importation: https://www.atf.gov/file/61591/download   The Mak needed the "target" grip with thumb rest to meet the required 75 points to allow it to be imported.  This form may have been drafted before the Russian and DDR Maks were designated C&R by the same agency.

Thanks!  Fascinating...and I mean that in the "watching a trainwreck" sense of the word  chuckles1

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 01:56:36 PM »
Wow, I had no idea pistol importation had such criteria!

Sure seems like a nebulous set of empty boxes to check.  I guess they are trying to prevent loads of Saturday night specials from being imported?  The "sporting purposes test" is such a ridiculous notion.  It certainly gives some insight to the 'evil features' that are heavily regulated in the various states' (and expired federal) AWB regulations.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 02:22:46 PM »
It's kind of odd... do a "sporting purpose test"  on a "supposedly" C&R weapon... and then turn around and violate their own requirement by changing it out of its original configuration "as imported" form by altering the grips.

The PDF says revised March 2008...  I'd like to see point value of a Cz52 with it's skinny grip and smaller caliber vs the EG Mak.   They must have to file Form 4950(5330.5) with the updated I.D10t form.

I'm ashamed....my tax dollars came up with.... this. rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 07:14:02 AM »
It's kind of odd... do a "sporting purpose test"  on a "supposedly" C&R weapon... and then turn around and violate their own requirement by changing it out of its original configuration "as imported" form by altering the grips.

I'm ashamed....my tax dollars came up with.... this. rofl

I fully agree--totally illogical application of the law (is this surprising?). ??? Here's a link to an ATF letter that was posted on GB regarding the C&R status of Russian and EG Maks.  The letter was likely written in January or February 2001 as it references a December 2000 correspondence.  http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?208-BATF-Letters-C-amp-R-Makarovs-etc

If the C&R designation was applied as of the 1994 ban, why were the Maks imported after that date still required to have the altered grip???  Certainly a "Doh" moment for the ATF..... rofl