Author Topic: SKS-M - updated pics  (Read 14171 times)

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
SKS-M - updated pics
« on: May 17, 2015, 04:22:08 PM »
Local guy is selling an M (import stamp verified).

I noticed it doesn't have a metal magazine, and it has the cheese grater style gas tube. I am guessing both of these are not original.

Did they ever come with the cheeze grater mag original? What parts should be serial numbered on a M? And is the magazine literally just an AK magazine? (meaning was the original equipped magazine special to the M)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:43:00 PM by Power Surge »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Looking at an M...need some quick help
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 04:33:51 PM »
Cheese grater is not original.

Not sure if the original mag was serial #ed, but they are standard AK

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »

Thanks LC. My understanding is these were new production. Looking at the pics posted of that other M here in this section, it doesn't look like as many parts are serialed as older guns. Any idea what should be serialed on an M?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 05:15:37 PM »

Thanks LC. My understanding is these were new production. Looking at the pics posted of that other M here in this section, it doesn't look like as many parts are serialed as older guns. Any idea what should be serialed on an M?

Did you check the guide?  M - Chinese SKS Guide

I would think all parts would be serialized minus the mag.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »

Did you check the guide?  M - Chinese SKS Guide

I would think all parts would be serialized minus the mag.

Yeah, I've been looking at the guide. I don't see any M's that have serials on the stocks or triggers, that's why I asked. I was wondering if just the parts on the receiver got matched on the new production guns.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 05:55:09 PM »
hmm..   I dunno.   :-\

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 08:50:48 PM »
The two I have owned had no serials on the triggers either, and no M has a serialized stock. Some even have non-serialized receiver covers, IIRC.

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: My new SKS-M
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 09:15:38 PM »
I drove 3 hrs round trip to go get it. It's a beautiful rifle. It's a C&A import, no arsenal stamp, 93 serial. It's like new condition.

Compared to my /0406b\ rifle...

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 09:29:28 PM »
Kewl...  you going to find an ak mag and wood hg for it?

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 09:34:39 PM »
Kewl...  you going to find an ak mag and wood hg for it?

Definitely. I've never changed out an upper hand grip. Does that cheese grater replace just the wood, or did they come as an entire drop in part? I know the M has a short gas system, and it kinda looks like the tube assy might be original.

Also, I noticed on the SKS guide page, the pics of the M there show a short AK mag. Is that what they were sold with? And if so, how many rounds is that? 10?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 12:25:12 AM »
Looks like a 10.  Im sure joe would only show original equipment.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 09:53:02 AM »
  Since I'm a long time "M" owner, I'll chime in and give my $.02 worth of info about my "M" and how it came.

Mine is a /416\ arsenal, BTC, S. El Monte, CA import, 1994 import. (SN begins with the 94 43***)
  Came with a 5 or 10rd Chinese steel magazine. (Too many years of shuffled around to know which one, for sure.)
  The only (stamped) numbered parts on my "M" were the Receiver, Bolt Carrier and Bolt, with the Gas Tube and Gas Rod being electro-penciled, albeit almost unreadable. Very poor effort on the part of that worker. I can make out about 2-3 of the 5 digits, (barely, using a little imagination), on either part. The rest of the penciled digits don't resemble any digit. They're original, just penciled poorly. The Stock, Receiver Cover, and Trigger Guard are blank/un-numbered. (Nothing on the Rear Sight Leaf, either.)

The C&A VA BCH, VA import stamp is new to me. I remember the D.I.G. VA BCH, VA importer. Same city, anyway.

*EDIT:  I just noticed/figured it out that you went ahead and brought it home. Nice find! Congrats! Looks in great condition. I've used mine a lot and the stock has some dings and scratches, nothing major. The metal is all still good, though. One of my favorite shooters!

firstchoice
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:07:17 AM by firstchoice »

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 12:30:56 PM »
Sweet score Power Surge!

I really like these, and rarely see them around here...but the last one did indeed have a ten rounder in the styrofoam packaging.  I didn't notice if it also had the short gas system. 

Good luck with that hand guard search....if you don't find one, I have one that if stripped could be brought to match the stock.  It appears to be finished with a poly/stain on the visible sides, underneath....it looks like raw blonde wood.  I don't think it ever has seen cosmo....I dare say, it even smells like wood.

I would strive to find a matching one, as that stock sure is purty.  I think the cheese grater looks great on it, so take your time finding the right wood....lest you end up with a plethora of 'almost' right hand guards....and the urge to find even more SKS's to give them a home.  :)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »
Beautiful specimen Power Surge, if you weren't on the other side of the state from me I'ld drive over to see it!

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 08:53:16 PM »
Firstchoice, according to the sks guide page on the M, it was imported only through BTC and C&A. Apparently only some of the BTC ones had the arsenal stamp like yours. And I agree on the EP work...mine is barely legible too, lol.

Justin, I found a guy on ebay who had some new old stock handguards, and they look light blonde, so I'm going to try one of those...it was only $13. We'll see, lol.

Danny, thanks :)

LC, I think my buddy at work has a 10 rounder he's going to give me :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 09:06:04 PM »
Nice...   I would def want that rifle in as-imported configuration.   8)

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 09:10:09 PM »
Nice...   I would def want that rifle in as-imported configuration.   8)

That's the plan! I'm all about originality. Comes from years of auto restoration :)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 09:43:51 PM »
That is a nice looking SKS.  I've never seen an M in the wild.  I like the stock as it looks like it would be comfortable to hold and get a good cheek weld.  I'm with Justin, the cheese grater doesn't look bad to me, so a patient approach to restoration seems reasonable.  I think a nice clean vintage metal AK mag would look great with your carbine.

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 09:53:20 PM »
^^ A nice Chinese flat back looks great in there...

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 11:58:39 PM »
^^ A nice Chinese flat back looks great in there...

It's already got a correct chinese 10 rounder sitting in it :)

I'll post pics once the upper handguard is back to original.